2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Long Songs Vs. Shorter Songs, What length of song do you prefer?
The Length Of A Song
Which Do You Prefer?
0:00 - 3:00 [ 3 ] ** [6.25%]
3:30 - 5:30 [ 23 ] ** [47.92%]
6:00 - 9:00 [ 11 ] ** [22.92%]
10:00 - 12:00 [ 7 ] ** [14.58%]
15:00 - 20:00 [ 2 ] ** [4.17%]
20:00 - 30:00 [ 1 ] ** [2.08%]
35:00 + [ 1 ] ** [2.08%]
Total Votes: 39
Guests cannot vote 
The Uncreator
Jul 7 2009, 01:52 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
the 0:00 is just include songs that are less than or just over a minute.

We all know the length of a song has ultimately nothing to do with its quality, But I think we all prefer a certain length of a song. So pick which ever one you think is best or two that include a length that I did have (For example, I piced 10:00 - 12:00 and 35:00 + )

I always liked those long epic songs like Opeth, Dream Theater, Epica, some Symphony X, and the Iron Maiden epics that hold your attention the whole time and just have such awesome diversity and musicality in them. They are perfect for those long drives too work ( I often drive 1 hour to 2.5 hour to get to a job so it makes the time go by fast) or just relaxing and killing an hour too listening to the epicness of it all, Although its not for everyone.

So what do you prefer?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 7 2009, 01:58 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I voted 3:30-5:30 which I prefer the most. On occasion I will listen to a full length epic tune but it really has to capture me. I must admit I have a short attention span as well... rolleyes.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 7 2009, 02:35 AM
Haha, I think the longer songs have improved my attention span so you never know what they might do for you laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Jul 7 2009, 03:07 AM
GMC:er
Really, I never paid attention to how long the songs I listen to. I listen to a lot of stuff, from the grindcore bursts, to long, complex compositions . I think the longest song I've heard was Dopesmoker by Sleep, which is a little more than an hour.

But I still chose 10-12 minutes, its the happy medium smile.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 7 2009, 04:21 AM
I like songs anywhere from 3-9 minutes.

but if it is a really good tune, the time doesnt matter biggrin.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Jmguitar64
Jul 7 2009, 05:01 AM
it really deppends on the band

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jul 7 2009, 05:47 AM
Depends of a lot of things. The versatility of the song, if it keeps you paying attention all the time, the lyrics helps a lot too!!. Maybe a long song would be better if it's a short song. And besides can happen too. But I still prefer the long songs

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 7 2009, 11:54 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
As I'm a big classic rock/oldies/evergreen fan I chose 0-3 min song length... smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 7 2009, 12:06 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I voted 3:30 - 5:50, but truth is I prefer good songs, don't really care how long they are as long as I like them wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jul 7 2009, 12:10 PM
Learning Roadie
I like it when most of the songs on a album are 3:30 - 5:30. But it is nice to have one or two songs which are longer.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 7 2009, 12:16 PM
Instructor
Voted for 3:30-5:30 but it really doesn't matter if song is good. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jul 7 2009, 12:26 PM
Learning Roadie
That is right, if the song is good everything is fine. When the song rocks but it is less than 2:30 it is a little bit annyoing though dry.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 7 2009, 12:35 PM
Instructor
I like to listen to long songs but if you want a radio to play it, you have to make something no longer than 4:30.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Artemus
Jul 7 2009, 02:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Does the 35m+ option include the likes of John Cage's ASLSP?

http://www.john-cage.halberstadt.de/

..probably not a radio edit... tongue.gif

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 7 2009, 03:05 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
laugh.gif that 30 min option just reminded me of Cure's "Carnage visors", 27 min, I guess it's the longest song I've heard smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jul 7 2009, 06:47 PM
Really really odd question, not to be rude or anything.

I prefer the length of a song that fits the song. I get annoyed when things are dragged out and repeated for the sake of making a song long, but I still want more than one chord. It differs between individual songs, it's like asking "what's your favourite BPM?". It just isn't that simple.

And because of that, I didn't vote.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Jul 7 2009, 07:38 PM
I think it really depends on the song, but for songs with one basic idea in them, 5 minutes is tops. Multiple ideas should really just split up into multiple songs. However, Long songs are ok as long as you keep them interesting. Dragonforce commented on how they're having a hard time making radio versions of their songs just because their songs have a lot of parts to them (and also epic guitar solos.)

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 7 2009, 10:38 PM
Instructor
There aren't that many very long songs in modern music, but I would say "The End" from the Doors is definitely one great song and it is long, and so is Offspring's "Killboy Powerhead" that is aroun 1.30 so it's the quality not the quantity

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 8 2009, 02:53 AM
Like I said, it ultimately has nothing to do with the quality. Obviously if you pick song lengths as long as I did you know plenty or enough songs that have the qualities you want in them of course to choose such an option smile.gif

Its just assuming that the song is already awesome I guess. Do you prefer a 5:00 amazing song, or a 10:00 amazing song? Think of it like that, a song that meets all your requirements.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jul 8 2009, 10:15 AM
I think for the most part, long songs will bore me by the 3rd and 4th listen no matter how awesome it is. I love Mournful Congregation, but I hate the fact that there songs are lengthy. I need to be in a certain mood for me to pass through all of that with Funeral Doom for me to enjoy it. Nowadays, I like bands that can cram an awesome song in less than 5 without it feeling too short or too long. Its just right.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:27 PM