The Common Scales
MattE
Dec 30 2007, 07:16 AM
GMC:er
Good evening to you Pavel,

I actually had a question with a hint of theory in its origin. I am finding that it is rather troubling to find a solid scale pattern for the Major and Minor scales. I am aware that there are many different variations, such as Dorian, Locrian, Mixolydian, and Lydian, to name a few, but I cant seem to find what I am perceiving as a "base" major and/or minor scale

Any assistance to my jumbled question? tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Pavel
Dec 30 2007, 11:17 AM
Instructor
If i understand you right - you are mixing scales and mode. All you need is a basic major scale construction -> w-w-h-w-w-w-h (w->whole tone, h->half tone). This is a basic major scale, modes have different construction patterns so you can't go wrong there.

Minor scale is w-h-w-w-h-w-w.

Also if you want to learn all major scale boxes check this here lesson: http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-gui...e-speedpicking/

I hope i put some light on your question smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 30 2007, 02:39 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Heh, I KNEW it - you do like theory smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 30 2007, 03:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 30 2007, 02:39 PM) *
Heh, I KNEW it - you do like theory smile.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif You got me now! laugh.gif laugh.gif

When i have to explain something to people i find out that i actually have some theory knowledge but apparently i don't think about it and don't think in theory kind of way while playing smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 30 2007, 04:08 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 30 2007, 09:48 AM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif You got me now! laugh.gif laugh.gif

When i have to explain something to people i find out that i actually have some theory knowledge but apparently i don't think about it and don't think in theory kind of way while playing smile.gif

I think that is the best way Pavel - if you can apply theory knowledge without even thinking about it, it is the best of all possible worlds, I rarely think in theory terms when I am playing, but I do enjoy analyzing it afterwards. Occasionally I set out to do something specific, like play in Mixolydian, but often I just play and see what comes out and afterwards think, hey, that was Mixolydian (or whatever).

I think you know a lot of theory (you must to play the way you do), you just don't think about it much or study it hard, but somewhere inside it is in there smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 30 2007, 04:54 PM
Instructor
Thanks Andrew! I appreciate it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MattE
Dec 31 2007, 08:37 AM
I see biggrin.gif

Alright, here's a question that should probably be in the theory forum:

The following are (in order) a Major/Minor/Blues scale that my instructor gave me many a year ago tongue.gif

E||--------------------------------5-7-8-|------------------------------5-6-8-|
B||--------------------------5-7-8-------|------------------------4-6-8-------|
G||--------------------4-5-7-------------|------------------3-5-7-------------|
D||--------------4-5-7-------------------|------------3-5-7-------------------|
A||--------3-5-7-------------------------|--------3-5-------------------------|
E||--3-5-7-------------------------------|--3-5-6-----------------------------|

--------------------------3-6-||
----------------------3-6-----||
----------------3-5-6---------||
------------3-5---------------||
------3-4-5-------------------||
--3-6-------------------------||

I have practiced these scales up and down, left and right, and any other way you can think of, but the same question nags me, what mode or what not I am playing

I can move these scales up and down the fretboard easily, I'm just wondering if I am correct in doing so ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 31 2007, 01:43 PM
You asnwered your own question - these aren't modes, they are Major/Minor/Blues scales - modes are something different to scales (check my lessons here and here if you want to understand more about them!)

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
MattE
Dec 31 2007, 10:46 PM
I see!
Thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding Andrew! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
drw84215
Jan 24 2008, 08:31 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 30 2007, 05:17 AM) *
If i understand you right - you are mixing scales and mode. All you need is a basic major scale construction -> w-w-h-w-w-w-h (w->whole tone, h->half tone). This is a basic major scale, modes have different construction patterns so you can't go wrong there.

Minor scale is w-h-w-w-h-w-w.

Also if you want to learn all major scale boxes check this here lesson: http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-gui...e-speedpicking/

I hope i put some light on your question smile.gif

that lesson is great!! do you have a lesson that shows all the boxes for minor scales. (or even all the modes tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 24 2008, 08:52 PM
Instructor
Those are also the minor boxes - but when playing a minor you just start at a different box smile.gif

I believe David Wallimann has lessons with modes - i'm not a mode expert biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:35 PM