Life On Another Planet 100% Possible
Mudbone
Nov 11 2010, 04:10 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Very interesting article about a recently discovered planet where the chance of life existing on it is 100% possible.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/30/100-p...y-found-planet/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lewiiii
Nov 11 2010, 12:25 PM
GMC:er
Very interesting!

Wow. Imagine a planet where a year is only 37 days long laugh.gif and it's 3 times the size of Earth?! Too bad that it's too far away really, that fact that apparently there is 100% chance of life is incredible really if you think about it, what could be going on there? huh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
BOO!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 11 2010, 01:19 PM
Instructor
Very interesting. But it says one side only has day and the other night. Doesn't that affect the conditions for life? mm, who knows,

it doesn't matter anyway, it's too far

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 11 2010, 01:26 PM
i wonder if anyone up there plays guitar laugh.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 12 2010, 02:43 AM
Instructor
Wow, that's awesome smile.gif I knew they would find it eventually. Now off to find some closer ones. In 50-100 years they will send ships there. I hope I will be around ti see it smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 12 2010, 03:25 PM
What a strange misuse of "100% chance" and "possible." The article mangles that concept even further, including a remark that "I have almost no doubt" to the "100% chance" that there is a "possibility."

I guess we've lost sight of this, but the phrase "100% chance" was originally intended to mean "this is certain."

Either way, it's sorta cool news even though it's being reported so poorly by CNN. If only we had a way to travel at the speed of light, we'd have a "100% chance" of arriving at that planet in 20 years sad.gif

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
JVM
Nov 16 2010, 06:24 AM
Learning Roadie
Heard about this a couple weeks ago. Very interesting indeed. The 100% certainty thing is kind of funny sounding I agree, maybe more like I am "100% excited" about the possibility, but you can't be sure til we get there. What's really interesting is that it is so close to us, relatively speaking, and that we found it so early on in our search. Could be an extremely lucky find, but I would like to think it's not.

On a side note, I was reading about Alcubierre Drives which are a proposed means of faster than light travel. I believe this problem of traveling through space will be solved eventually. How soon, who knows. Could be tomorrow. Check out the link for the interestingness.

This post has been edited by JVM: Nov 16 2010, 06:26 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 16 2010, 10:51 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (JVM @ Nov 16 2010, 01:24 AM) *
Heard about this a couple weeks ago. Very interesting indeed. The 100% certainty thing is kind of funny sounding I agree, maybe more like I am "100% excited" about the possibility, but you can't be sure til we get there. What's really interesting is that it is so close to us, relatively speaking, and that we found it so early on in our search. Could be an extremely lucky find, but I would like to think it's not.

On a side note, I was reading about Alcubierre Drives which are a proposed means of faster than light travel. I believe this problem of traveling through space will be solved eventually. How soon, who knows. Could be tomorrow. Check out the link for the interestingness.

Glad to see someone mention Alcubierre Drives! smile.gif I read many articles and books on them, anyone who doesn't know what it is, you probably actually do. You just know it as Star Trek's Warp Drive. (Very similar in concepts)

Anyway, in the short term and for inner-solar system exploration, Light-speed travel would do great. But if we want to explore even the closest galaxies, FTL Travel would be optimal. I think this will be solved eventually, but only when we learn to safely harness the power needed to do that kind of thing.

Love this kind of thing, FTL Travel and quantum physics smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 17 2010, 01:32 AM
Instructor
Although Alcubierre Drives are explained in theory, I don't think it is possible to apply it, at least for some time. It's way ahead of our time, lots of things need to happen before that. But sending a ship that can travel close to the speed of light seems reasonable enough, I think we will have those ships very soon, in a 100 years probably (which means we will get there in 120y biggrin.gif )

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Nov 17 2010, 01:32 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 17 2010, 01:32 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This is really exciting. I firmly believe that in vast Space we can't be the only planet that can support life. It seems just impossible to me. I'm sure we are going to discover more planets like this one in the future. I hope we'll get to travel to one of them too! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:43 PM