2 Pages V   1 2 >  
9 10 Or 11 Gauge?, what do you use/recommend? and what brand?
dimeisgod
Jun 29 2007, 02:06 PM
GMC:er
what gauge strings and what brand do you guys use? is there one perfect set of strings?
i'm using ernie ball 10 gauge regular slinky strings..

if it aint broke than why fix it? but i want to change a brand.. never played another brand in my life maybe im missing out on something....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 29 2007, 02:38 PM
I used 0.9 for a loooooooooooong time, several years. Just recently I've tried .10 and .11. I felt a little different beetween 0.9 and the others. I liked 0.10 best, think I'm staying with those. I personally couldnt notice any change in sound though, I'm no expert so I dunno.

I'm using Elixir btw, never used anything else. I'd like to try something new too, if it actually does improve the sound or durability.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
EddieB
Jun 29 2007, 04:08 PM
I use D'addario Super light +'s (.95) =P

I used to use the really cheap super strings (strings were probably worth less than the packaging they came in) and there is a really big difference in quality. I've only been using my D'addario's about two weeks now, but they haven't varnish, changed color, or rusted in any way yet. They are really bright and really easy to bend (which is a good thing cool.gif )

But I guess it's really a matter of preference on the size. I got the +'s because I don't like thick strings, but super lights just seem a little fragile to me.

Just as long as you don't go with any of the cheapo brands you should be fine smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Jun 29 2007, 04:33 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
For what i play-Jazz fusion and jazz- 10's suit me fine.

I use to play 11's on my Les Paul but now find myself more comfortable with 10's.

When i used to use 9's my tone went downhill, and with 11's tone was great, so i find 10's to be just the right balance between playablity and tone.

I used to use d'addario's but ive found that the Thomastik's 'power brights' blow them away for tone, and they literally last 10x longer. The D'addarios i could wear out in a few days,these last a few weeks, and im pretty sure i dont have an 'aggressive' style!

However the end results up to you, so play what youre happy and comfortable with. It cant hurt to try out different brands though, you may be glad you did!

-Ben

This post has been edited by benhowell: Jun 29 2007, 04:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 29 2007, 04:49 PM
another what string thread.

i use the 10-46 strings. I am going to try a bit heavier sometime. Have tried 9-42. Good points: Easier to play, slicker and less noisy on the wound strings. Bad points: not the bite and sustain, don't stay in tune as well. I don't see how anybody can argue with that.

I do keep one guitar with 9-42 for when my fingers are sore, much easier on the fingers.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 29 2007, 04:52 PM
Currently im playing with Skull Strings.... not too many people try them or have heard of them just because they come in a ridiculous package but i think they deserve much more recognition, i use 10's just a regular pack, butt right now im using a high e from a set of ernie ball super slinky lights smile.gif. To me strings don't matter so much but these skulls have a wiered texture to them which makes them feel a bit bigger, the tone is choppier and they are much easier to grip smile.gif it makes solos, chords and hammerons/ pullofs easiers but slides are a very bad idea sad.gif .. so so far ive never found an "Ultimate" set of strings, depends on what your playing but just for about everything just some 10's for an electric guitar will do the trick smile.gif

And to the first comment " if it aint broken why fix it" as the strings begin to deterierate (from constant playing) you lose the nice snap in the strings. They become looser more frail and harder to play, its a good idea to try and replace strings once a month or thereabouts.

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jun 29 2007, 04:56 PM
I've been using DR's for the past 7 or 8 years and like them a lot. They last for quite awhile and have excellent tone. I'm running the Black Beauties right now, 9 gauge. They look really good on my Black Cherry Hellraiser.
A friend of mine told me about a site yesterday that has really good strings dirt cheap. www.webstrings.com He's been using them for awhile a likes them a lot. I know nothing about them but I'll give them a try soon as they're only 2.99 a pack and free shipping if you spend $12 or more.

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 29 2007, 05:11 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I use 10s, ocassionally 11s with a wound third for a little more tone. Brand at the moment is Elixir - no particular reason, used to use Ernie Ball.

Cheers,
T

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
CrashOops
Jun 30 2007, 02:13 AM
I'm using d'addario 11's. I was using ernie ball super slinky hybrids but I decided to go for a little bit more tone, and build some finger strength. Bends feel more controlled and drop d sounds so much nicer and also ernie balls left black residue on my fingers for some reason. everyone's skins different so I suppose that's a reason.

--------------------
Ibanez GRX20 Jewel Blue

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 30 2007, 02:39 AM
I usually play with 10s, but ive played with 9s before being Elixirs, but ther expensive for my taste of breaking strings all the time tongue.gif. But i would really like to switch to 9s Elixirs!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 30 2007, 04:03 AM
QUOTE (CrashOops @ Jun 29 2007, 08:13 PM) *
I'm using d'addario 11's. I was using ernie ball super slinky hybrids but I decided to go for a little bit more tone, and build some finger strength. Bends feel more controlled and drop d sounds so much nicer and also ernie balls left black residue on my fingers for some reason. everyone's skins different so I suppose that's a reason.

do you find the 11 stronger than a 10? I do bend that string a full tone (with vibrato) quite a bit, and each time i wonder if it is going to pop.

edit: i know about the black residue thing, thought that came with all strings. but i use eb, so sounds like it is an eb thing.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 30 2007, 04:05 AM

+Quote Post
Ben C
Jun 30 2007, 04:17 AM
I use ernie ball 11's and love them. great tone, and i havent broke a sting yet...

and I play constantly.....

This post has been edited by Ben C: Jun 30 2007, 04:19 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 30 2007, 04:25 AM
Im really wish there was a way to go test strings before you buy em sad.gif it really seems like a waste to buy strings,, string it up and realise you don't like them sad.gif

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 30 2007, 04:27 AM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jun 29 2007, 10:25 PM) *
Im really wish there was a way to go test strings before you buy em sad.gif it really seems like a waste to buy strings,, string it up and realise you don't like them sad.gif

Yea, at the music store. They shoudl have guitars set-up with a different set of strings. So you can test them!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 30 2007, 04:36 AM
Perhaps thats something ill include in my music store... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
CrashOops
Jun 30 2007, 07:42 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 29 2007, 08:03 PM) *
do you find the 11 stronger than a 10? I do bend that string a full tone (with vibrato) quite a bit, and each time i wonder if it is going to pop.

edit: i know about the black residue thing, thought that came with all strings. but i use eb, so sounds like it is an eb thing.

Well I have no black residue at all with the d'addario's even fresh out of the package, and even if my hands get sweaty.
Playing with 11's is quite a work out, especially when you compare it to playing 9's. and it is still a difference from 10's. I havent broken any strings yet but I would think that so long as the quality of the material stays the same ( ie same brand) the thicker the string the stronger. Of course if the quality of a string is lower from one brand to another, it would be easier to break an 11 from a lousy material than a 9 of a good material

This post has been edited by CrashOops: Jun 30 2007, 07:43 AM

--------------------
Ibanez GRX20 Jewel Blue

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 30 2007, 04:23 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
For Tunings E Standard to Drop C - I use .09's

For C Standard to Drop A - I use .13's

Both are Dean Markelys by the way. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 30 2007, 04:24 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 30 2007, 03:23 PM) *
For Tunings E Standard to Drop C - I use .09's

For C Standard to Drop A - I use .13's

Both are Dean Markelys by the way. smile.gif

Drop A ey. Hmm I need to try that some time! biggrin.gif Sounds like alot of fun.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 30 2007, 05:07 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
It sounds like This

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 30 2007, 05:46 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 30 2007, 04:07 PM) *
It sounds like This

Aha Nile, nice. Sounds f***ing crazy!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:22 PM