> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

10 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Adam M's Thread, for Gab's Army
Adam
May 3 2019, 12:11 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 1 2019, 04:49 AM) *
I think that it's a good idea to practice that bending lesson (the first that you play in the video) over the backing track, because you are playing it a lot faster and without reaching the right pitches. Maybe playing them over the original lesson can work as well. I also notice that you are playing it with more strength and that makes it sound aggressive and nervous. If you play it more relaxed, some of the unwanted noises will disappear, while others should be muted with the palm of your right hand (muting the lower strings).

Does it make sense?

I will give it more time and attention, as you suggest. I've had quite a lot of stress lately and some of it found its way to my fingers when I'm playing but I'm not going to pretend I don't need more practice because I do and I feel it. Eliminating the excess tension could take some time but with reglar practice I will eventually learn get it.

Could you please recommend me a lesson to keep practicing vibrato along bending?

For some reason I get worse results when in front of a camera but that's just another reason to practice more! I should start working to eliminate stage fright if I want to do guitar busking in the future.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 3 2019, 06:22 PM
Instructor
What about this one?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/neocla..._for_beginners/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Adam
May 3 2019, 07:36 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 3 2019, 06:22 PM) *

We've started with this one and then you suggested me the lessons I linked above but I'll be happy to re-do it since it didn't go well and see how much I've improved since then smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 4 2019, 05:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ May 3 2019, 03:36 PM) *
We've started with this one and then you suggested me the lessons I linked above but I'll be happy to re-do it since it didn't go well and see how much I've improved since then smile.gif

yes! It's the best choice so getting back to it from time to time is not a bad idea.

These two are also cool to work on feeling:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The_tasty_etude/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Your-First-Metal-Solo/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
May 4 2019, 08:42 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 4 2019, 05:58 PM) *
yes! It's the best choice so getting back to it from time to time is not a bad idea.

These two are also cool to work on feeling:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The_tasty_etude/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Your-First-Metal-Solo/

It should be easier to focus on technicalities because I can play this lesson more or less from my memory. The other two lessons seem nice too! I'll keep you updated on my progress! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 7 2019, 01:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ May 4 2019, 04:42 PM) *
It should be easier to focus on technicalities because I can play this lesson more or less from my memory. The other two lessons seem nice too! I'll keep you updated on my progress! smile.gif

Great! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
May 13 2019, 12:10 PM
Learning Roadie
I should be able to submit my take/-s before the deadline. I'm having a bad time with my thesis, as I have to submit it on Wednesday and I forgot about it since last semester, so I've cut all distractions possible to focus on writing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 13 2019, 01:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ May 13 2019, 08:10 AM) *
I should be able to submit my take/-s before the deadline. I'm having a bad time with my thesis, as I have to submit it on Wednesday and I forgot about it since last semester, so I've cut all distractions possible to focus on writing.

Hi Adam, thanks for the update! There are still 5 days to go!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
May 15 2019, 07:31 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 13 2019, 01:46 PM) *
Hi Adam, thanks for the update! There are still 5 days to go!

I'll review my recordings today, after I get some sleep, and I'll get back to my usual practice routine today, so it's possible I'll have a take or two to submit today!

Lately I'm really unsure about what should I practice besides the lessons you've recommended. I usually try learning or improving bits from songs I like along with the regular exercises but now I'm a bit confused. As I said before, I like both thrash and neoclassical genres. Iron Maiden, especially their early era, and Sabaton are a great influence and inspiration for me as well. Does it make sense to practice all of it, depending on what I feel like playing at the moment or is it better to focus on one of the bands/styles and learn their songs before moving on?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 15 2019, 02:00 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! Nice to know that new videos are coming! smile.gif

About extra practice, I think that the best is to practice the things that keeps you having fun and motivated. If you feel that you need some structure to get the more of this time, you can divide your time in two blocks and work on both Maiden and Sabaton music. During my early practice days I used to have some kind of practice repertoire. In other words I had songs that I've learnt and practice every day to keep on polishing them. During my first years, the songs were by bands like Guns and Roses, Nirvana, Ramones, Kiss, then I could switch to Iron Maiden, and more metal bands, to finally get into Yngwie Malmsteen, Blues Saraceno, Satriani, Vai, and Dream Theater.

It's always good to learn to play full songs since this puts you in a real music situation where you have to switch from lead to rhythm as it happens when you are playing with a band.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
May 15 2019, 07:41 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 15 2019, 02:00 PM) *
Hi Adam! Nice to know that new videos are coming! smile.gif

About extra practice, I think that the best is to practice the things that keeps you having fun and motivated. If you feel that you need some structure to get the more of this time, you can divide your time in two blocks and work on both Maiden and Sabaton music. During my early practice days I used to have some kind of practice repertoire. In other words I had songs that I've learnt and practice every day to keep on polishing them. During my first years, the songs were by bands like Guns and Roses, Nirvana, Ramones, Kiss, then I could switch to Iron Maiden, and more metal bands, to finally get into Yngwie Malmsteen, Blues Saraceno, Satriani, Vai, and Dream Theater.

It's always good to learn to play full songs since this puts you in a real music situation where you have to switch from lead to rhythm as it happens when you are playing with a band.

Thanks, that's a great advice! I practice different songs to avoid getting bored because I'm not as enthusiastic about practice while I'm bored but I wasn't sure if it's optimal for making progress. I know lots of bits and pieces by now but I can't play a one song from start to finish. I'll try to change this soon smile.gif

I'm really close to play whole:
*Nothing Else Matters (I focused on the fingerstyle part, so I don't know the distortion parts)
*Bismarck (I memorized the riffs and got the timing but it still needs practice as a whole piece + I can't play the second part of the solo)
*Hallowed Be Thy Name (I often play its riffs as a warm-up and I can match the tempo but some transitions between riffs are hard and Dave's solo is still too big for me I could handle Adrian's with some practice, though)
*HIM's Love Metal ballads (I tried the songs and the riffs are mostly easy and I probably could do it with just some practice)
*Phantom of the Opera (I'm familiar with the riffs and lately I started learning Murray's first solo but the issue here is the high-octane tempo that tires my hands quickly)

Could you give me some advice on any of these?

I think it's a good idea to start learning the whole songs already. About switching between lead and rhythm, I think Iron Maiden is an exception because each guitar's part has some lead to it. But that's a good thing because as you said being able to switch between roles is important and underestimated skill.

PS. I'm very happy to say everything went fine at the university! I was a bit nervous but my professor is a great person! I'll just have to put more effort to finish the whole thesis by 12th June and things will work themselves out smile.gif

PS2: I ordered Vai's guitar theory book and it should arrive tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it! I'm very enthusiastic about being able to ditch the tabs and switch to score sheets and judging by what others say, it's something I'll learn from it for sure!

This post has been edited by Adam M: May 16 2019, 12:46 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 16 2019, 01:49 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! smile.gif

That's a very nice list! I would try to learn all those songs complete to have a repertoire that can keep growing. The easier songs from that list are Nothing else matters (You could learn all distorted parts and then the solo) and Him's song. I would start with these two ones and then complete the others that seem a bit trickier.

Congrats about moving forward at the University! I'm sure that you'll finish your thesis successfully!!

About Vai's book. I'm a big fan of his work, I surely know the concepts covered but I want to get it. His approach to things is always inspiring.

Have you seen these videos?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
May 16 2019, 05:15 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 16 2019, 01:49 PM) *
Hi Adam! smile.gif

That's a very nice list! I would try to learn all those songs complete to have a repertoire that can keep growing. The easier songs from that list are Nothing else matters (You could learn all distorted parts and then the solo) and Him's song. I would start with these two ones and then complete the others that seem a bit trickier.

Congrats about moving forward at the University! I'm sure that you'll finish your thesis successfully!!

About Vai's book. I'm a big fan of his work, I surely know the concepts covered but I want to get it. His approach to things is always inspiring.

Have you seen these videos?

I realized there is a much better way to play some parts of the Hallowed, that make transitioning easier but I also learned there is still much practice ahead before I can play just the rhythm sections. It's a matter of time but I'm sure we'll make it!

I could focus Nothing Else Matters for now and start polishing it once I can play the whole song. Him is a bit harder than it looks but I think I'll go for your lesson at GMC for a start. It sounds great and is simple enough for a beginner!

The book arrived and it's really great. It has some things I've known for a while but they are ordered, more detailed and most of all, there's a practical application!

I'll watch this video in the evening when I'm home. I can always expect to learn new things when I find one of those smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 20 2019, 02:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ May 16 2019, 01:15 PM) *
I realized there is a much better way to play some parts of the Hallowed, that make transitioning easier but I also learned there is still much practice ahead before I can play just the rhythm sections. It's a matter of time but I'm sure we'll make it!

I could focus Nothing Else Matters for now and start polishing it once I can play the whole song. Him is a bit harder than it looks but I think I'll go for your lesson at GMC for a start. It sounds great and is simple enough for a beginner!

The book arrived and it's really great. It has some things I've known for a while but they are ordered, more detailed and most of all, there's a practical application!

I'll watch this video in the evening when I'm home. I can always expect to learn new things when I find one of those smile.gif

Hi Adam! Everything sounds great!

I think that focusing on “Nothing else matters” and Him style lesson can be a good idea. I have to re-check that Him song because I thought that it was close to my lesson.

About the book, great news!! Enjoy it. I’m sure that you’ll learn a lot from it and that you’ll feel inspired.

Keep on the great job here!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
May 20 2019, 11:11 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 20 2019, 02:28 AM) *
Hi Adam! Everything sounds great!

I think that focusing on “Nothing else matters” and Him style lesson can be a good idea. I have to re-check that Him song because I thought that it was close to my lesson.

About the book, great news!! Enjoy it. I’m sure that you’ll learn a lot from it and that you’ll feel inspired.

Keep on the great job here!

Hi! Thank you!

I'm trying the Nothing Else Matters riffs now, followed by the solo and it's going pretty smooth. I'll post a recording of the clean part before mixing it all together because I'm not sure if I'm doing it properly.

About the Him, I didn't mean any song in particular because they all are of similar difficulty. I'll just listen to the whole album and pick one or two that seem easy.

I also realized I could record a cover of Breaking the Law anytime now. I don't listen to Judas Priest but I realized this song is really easy and simple.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 20 2019, 03:06 PM
Instructor
I was thinking on this song:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
May 20 2019, 04:09 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 20 2019, 03:06 PM) *
I was thinking on this song:

I like this song. The video you posted is blocked in Poland but I have it on CD as well smile.gif I haven't heard it in years, so hearing it now brings back the memories. Say no more, I'm on it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 20 2019, 04:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam @ May 20 2019, 12:09 PM) *
I like this song. The video you posted is blocked in Poland but I have it on CD as well smile.gif I haven't heard it in years, so hearing it now brings back the memories. Say no more, I'm on it!

Great! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
May 28 2019, 09:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Here I thought I would be uploading this cover tonight but it turned out the tabs I was using are a bit out of sync with the original. I'll probably try playing it along with the song with my earphones tomorrow to make sure I get it right this time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 29 2019, 02:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam @ May 28 2019, 05:21 PM) *
Here I thought I would be uploading this cover tonight but it turned out the tabs I was using are a bit out of sync with the original. I'll probably try playing it along with the song with my earphones tomorrow to make sure I get it right this time.

Ok! It's a very good idea to use your ears to fix possible tabs issues. Go for it!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:00 AM