scalped frets
beebo
Jan 31 2007, 05:36 AM
GMC:er
Can someone tell me what scaloped frets are. What's the better parts and the worse parts between a normal guitar and scaloped fret guitars! Please answer soon I'm thinking of buying a guitar with 2 octaves higher any suggestions I've heard Ilbanez and Gibson were nice. biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Zee Deveel
Jan 31 2007, 11:14 AM
Don't worry about scalloped fret guitars, that is a tool for very advanced shred guitarists.

How much do you wanna spend on the guitar, what kind of stuff do you play and do you need a whammy bar?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Jan 31 2007, 11:16 AM

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
j78
Jan 31 2007, 05:34 PM
I am wondering the same thing as Beebo, but strictly out of curiosity.
I understand that scalloped necks are mostly used by advanced guitarists, but I never understood why the neck is scalloped. What benefits does a scalloped neck bring, compared to a non-scalloped neck??

//J78

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 31 2007, 06:10 PM
GMC Founder
It's the same effect as having very high frets - it facilitates hammer-ons and gives a little different vibrato possibilities.

The downside is that you basically ruin the second hand value of the guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
j78
Jan 31 2007, 07:02 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 31 2007, 06:10 PM) *
It's the same effect as having very high frets - it facilitates hammer-ons and gives a little different vibrato possibilities.

The downside is that you basically ruin the second hand value of the guitar.

Ahh, I see.
Thanks for the explanation!

//J78

+Quote Post
viking
Feb 1 2007, 03:06 AM
It will also be easier to play faster , because there is no wood contact under the frets.....It is not easy to play in tune , if the force on the strings is too great the fretted note will sound sharp because the strings " bend" down into the hole between the frets.......Scallopped necks are probably only something for 1% of all guitar players on the planet.....For most of us ,they are useless...

+Quote Post
beebo
Feb 1 2007, 05:32 AM
ok thanks for all the info. :Yes I have a whammy bar and want something with 24 frets like a Gibson or Ilbanez My price would probably be maxed $500 for now unless I want to wait for longer for something better.

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 1 2007, 05:48 AM
For under $500 I doubt you could do better than a Schecter.

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:38 AM