Lack Of Inspiration
Ryan AW
Jun 18 2008, 08:08 PM
GMC:er
Lately I've had a real lack of motivation to practice. I was hoping people could share there was of getting motivated so that I could learn to motivate myself. I really want to get good but lately I just can't seem to get into it.
Any help is appreciated.

-Ryan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 18 2008, 08:15 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Ryan AW @ Jun 18 2008, 09:08 PM) *
Lately I've had a real lack of motivation to practice. I was hoping people could share there was of getting motivated so that I could learn to motivate myself. I really want to get good but lately I just can't seem to get into it.
Any help is appreciated.

-Ryan

Join the Cover song competition maybe? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SamJ
Jun 18 2008, 08:15 PM
Maybe just learn some really catchy riffs from one of your favourite bands. Or just play along with some of your favourite songs. That kind of stuff normally works for me. smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jun 18 2008, 08:20 PM
Get to da Chopper!
I suggest you sit down and write down the things you want to achieve in guitar playing.

Maybe go on youtube and watch some of your favourite players to help you think about that.

Then write down some small goals you think you'd need to achive to get there...think small, think doable.

You really shouldnt need to force yourself to play guitar- play the things you enjoy and like hearing yourself!

The idea is to take it one small step at a time, until your so pumped up to practise that thats all you do all day! (well, okay maybe eat, sleep etc aswell wink.gif )

Maybe theres something away from guitar playing thats bumming you out before you even sit down to practise, you may want to sort these things out first.

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 18 2008, 08:29 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I've had this problem recently and i found actually not playing the guitar for a day really helped,
and i also agree definitely with what deeproots says.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 18 2008, 08:39 PM
Lets go fishing!
I spend my entire life on you tube watching guitar videos mate laugh.gif laugh.gif I have no real life beyond guitar, studys and chatting on msn unsure.gif oh and gmc of course wink.gif

When i watch my favorite players, including GMC instructors, or "famous" players, I feel totally compelled to reach excellence ! smile.gif Maybe some instructional DVD's might help to motivate you too.

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jun 18 2008, 08:40 PM
Get to da Chopper!
I forgot to mention, as this is your first post- welcome to the site Ryan! I usually find that i get more than enough motivation hearing from my pals on the forum!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 18 2008, 08:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
GO TO A LIVE CONCERT

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jun 18 2008, 08:41 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
skennington
Jun 18 2008, 09:21 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum by the way. Do you have any recording gear? I've found that has certainly helped me with the learning process and also motivates me as well. You can join in on the collabs here and get great feedback and compare what others are playing against the same backing.
Good luck man and stay positive! smile.gif

+Quote Post
KGZ
Jun 18 2008, 09:27 PM
Hi Ryan,

I've definitely been through such phases. There are three things I usually do to remedy the situation.

1. If I was focusing on learning songs and rhythm parts I would switch to scale oriented, lead guitar practice.

2. I would watch my favorite guitarist/band play something live on youtube or look for new bands/guitarists that appeal to me.

3. I would take a break from the guitar [usually only about a day]

One of these three methods has always worked for me. I hope this helps you out.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 18 2008, 11:33 PM
Instructor
Take a couple of days break, and watch some favorite guitar idols. That always help biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 19 2008, 12:12 AM
Welcome to GMC, Ryan.

I'd like to whole heartedly agree with DeepRoots in regards to writing down your goals.

What do you want to do today, short term, long term?

What are you good at?

What are you bad at that you want to improve?

Honestly sit down and answer these questions because without the answers, you can't possibly have direction and you will get frustrated.

Another thing to distinguish is the difference between practicing and playing. You can become frustrated with your playing if you're either not seeing progress, or it's so slow that it results in the same.

Try planning out time to really practice your guitar (ie. techniques, scales, theory, whatever) and not just play it.

I hope this helps.

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 19 2008, 12:17 AM
If you are getting bored with your practice, you have to change it. It's better to practice the things you like than not practicing at all (because you lost your motivation).

I think the most pleasant part of practicing is to play songs I like. So that's what I do when I get bored or less motivated.
Hear those songs you like, play acoustic drinking with some friends, go to pubs and see live bands. Look at how the chicks go crazy about the lead guitarist! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Jun 19 2008, 12:19 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Ryan AW
Jun 20 2008, 04:51 AM
Hey, thanks for the input everyone! I'm definately going to try this stuff and figure out what works best for me.

I'm truly grateful,
Ryan

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 20 2008, 04:56 AM
Singing Instructor
When I get in that faze,I always convince my self that I need to do some thing of my life,and that I don't want miss my chance to prove my self if I get a good chance,just because I did not practice or some thing.So,if that chance comes I want to be ready to make it up the challenge that is in front of me.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 20 2008, 09:48 AM
Instructor
See here man, being persistant is what it is all about. You have to push forward all the time, even at bad times. That's what makes it so hard for people to succeed and become great guitar players. When you see someone playing great, you are generally thrilled rigth? Just the same, someone who putt in less time and effort in guitar will watch at you and say "damn he plays good". So the bottom line is this, take a break, watch some of your guitar idols, check out their amount of work that they put in the guitar. Find that strength and continue working. Doesn't have to be a whole lotta practice. 30 minutes per day will do just fine if you practice good. Just keep on going, results are always difficult to percieve in smaller time periods.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ryan AW
Jun 23 2008, 04:41 AM
Hey, thanks again everyone. I'm going to try to get in the swing of things as soon as possible. I really appreciate this. Any further suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again

-Ryan

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jun 23 2008, 04:44 AM
join a practice group, there is a post in the forums of people wanting to be in one.. should give you motivation to practice and not let your group down

--------------------

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jun 23 2008, 05:04 AM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
Hey Ryan AW

Lately I have noticed you are not the only one with these comments. I am going to try to compile something for you in the morning as a lesson that will hopefully give you a boost. Keep your eyes on the board!! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Henry Dietzel: Jun 23 2008, 05:05 AM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:16 AM