Wrist Hurts, Sign Of Rsi?
Shred Kid
Jan 28 2009, 12:47 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys, I was practicing scales for 45 minutes with a metronome just now and my hand tarted to really hurt, which is unusual, so i stopped. Any Ideas why my hand started hurting just after 45 mins? I had the guitar sitting on my lap with my thumb on the back of the neck, should i bring it closer to my neck so i dont hve to stretch my wrist?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 28 2009, 12:53 PM
I know this doesn't belong in the uploads forum. Someone please move this post.

And playing scales your hand will hurt until you're used to playing at that speed and in that position. It shows shows you're working your muscles usually. Just make sure when it hurts you rest for a bit and do something else.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Shred Kid
Jan 28 2009, 12:56 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 28 2009, 10:53 PM) *
I know this doesn't belong in the uploads forum. Someone please move this post.

And playing scales your hand will hurt until you're used to playing at that speed and in that position. It shows shows you're working your muscles usually. Just make sure when it hurts you rest for a bit and do something else.

Thanks for that, sorry about posting in the wrong section smile.gif

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Jan 28 2009, 01:03 PM
Instructor
set an appointment with a local experienced teacher, and ask him to check your posture!

All the best

Joe Kataldo

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 28 2009, 01:13 PM
Instructor
Also I recommend that from now on you drink plenty of water.
It really helps!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 28 2009, 03:00 PM
Instructor
Check your posture mate, perhaps you were not sitting straight. Also did you warm up before exercises? WHen you practice you should try to relax your hands, and not push it too much. The pain could appear if you pushed it too hard, like playing fast or stretching your hands a lot, and not making some pauses to rest a bit. Practicing scales for 45 minutes, specially similar patterns and with a lot of streching and fast can quickly lead to pain, so I suggest you rest a bit and think over about your sessions. Perhaps you can make a 15 minute workout, then work on something different, and then back to scales etc. This would be more efficient and would not put that much strain on the fingers.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 28 2009, 04:33 PM
Instructor
I agree with Ivan, posture and warming-up are very important things. I had some similar pains awhile back, but with good strethching it went away.

Here's what John Petrucci has to say about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9tCQftFIAs

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 28 2009, 11:29 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think its not RSI but I'm not a doctor..I would recommend observing more what happens when you play in the future..Practicing scales for 45 minutes (without rest ?) is very demanding.You need to warm up before exercise and than make regular pauses...So this pain may be caused by over stressing your hand, so just be careful next time and make regular pauses when you do such intensive practice..

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jan 28 2009, 11:30 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Shred Kid
Jan 30 2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks heaps guys smile.gif It was because I was pushing it too hard without a break, wont go for so long next time haha

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Jan 30 2009, 02:57 PM
I've been feeling some pain in my wrist lately too.. I've just started a hc-project with my friends and I'm playing a lot faster than before.. SO maybe that's the reason.. still it's sucks to be in pain.. any nice warm-ups/stretching tips for removing/decreasing it?

This post has been edited by PanicProne: Jan 30 2009, 02:57 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:17 AM