Having Some Problems..., Tapping is killing my fingers!
sidewas lightnin...
Sep 19 2008, 09:12 PM
GMC:er
Owch!!! blink.gif
My left hand fingers have gotten quite raw over a year of playing string instruments (I started playing cello a few months before guitar, and I still play it too) and so I'm really using to that. But my right hand fingers are all not used to the same abuse, so after I practiced until my fingers were bleeding last night (literally or figuratively) I have had a severe blister-ish thing form on my finger. It is okay through anything else (typing this for example) but when I go back to the tapping licks on the guitar it kills my finger every time I hammer on. Does anyone have any advice other than to just let it calloused?

Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sigma7
Sep 19 2008, 09:18 PM
well really the best descicion would be to stop and let it callus because ull be able to practice a lot more when there is no pain...i dont see any better alternative or any other at that matter

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
Sep 19 2008, 09:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
I got this when I first started tapping.. Huge blisters on the fingers I was tapping with.
Not pretty, and not comfortable tongue.gif But they went away after some days without tapping. When the blisers were gone, I began tapping again and I could tap away for a long time without getting hurt tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 19 2008, 10:08 PM
Tap with a different finger, you'll need to learn how to tap with that finger eventually anyways =)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 19 2008, 10:41 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You definitly need to stop and rest for a day/two, than try again..Key is not to over do it (to the red/hurting zone)...Practice only as much as you can go without hurting your fingers..As it starts hurting stop.Practicing too much , you will make blisters and you won't be able to play for some time....Your calluses will form fast and you will be able to tap as much as you want , just take it slowly at start smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 19 2008, 10:42 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 19 2008, 11:17 PM
Instructor
It is normal to injure the sking if you play a lot, and skin is not hardened yet. Just take a rest until your injuries heal, and them move on, but this time on a slower tempo, don't push it. In a matter of weeks, the skin will harden enough to withstand tapping abuse smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 20 2008, 11:07 AM
Instructor
If you are just starting to tap I would recommend tapping 2 days in a row 2 hours each day and then resting 1 day at least.
Your fingers will regenerate and you will feel much better .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Sep 20 2008, 04:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Sep 19 2008, 10:18 PM) *
well really the best descicion would be to stop and let it callus because ull be able to practice a lot more when there is no pain...i dont see any better alternative or any other at that matter

Spot on in my opinion:) Let it heal first, use the oppurtunity to brush up on some theory.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:03 AM