Love This One Handed Vai Bit I Do Something Similar
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2021, 06:29 AM
GMC:er
this section of this vai bit sounded very familiar and I realized it's similar to something I've been doing for a while. it's a sort of one handed arpeggio thing.

Anyone else ever play something like this?

not a clone, and not anywhere near as FAST, but here is my bit. using three fingers, all hammer on. It's what made think of the vai bit when I was practicing tonight.

*Check out this Vai lesson from Ben!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Vai-able-Hammer-ons/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 20 2021, 04:31 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2021, 02:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I remember seeing that a while back but what voodoo is he using to keep the strings quiet?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2021, 06:25 PM
the same black voodoo i'm using here smile.gif remember that collab from way back? not using a fret scrunchie or a sock as I've seen many folks do smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 16 2021, 09:59 AM) *
I remember seeing that a while back but what voodoo is he using to keep the strings quiet?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2021, 08:40 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Awesome, but how do you keep the strings quiet? Noise gate???

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 16 2021, 06:25 PM) *
the same black voodoo i'm using here smile.gif remember that collab from way back? not using a fret scrunchie or a sock as I've seen many folks do smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2021, 10:09 PM
There is a gate on my tone as there is always a gate on my tone, but really it came down to simply not exciting the other strings. Also, the strings being struck due drown out most of the sympathetic vibrations from the other strings. It's certainly possible to do this but it did take me a while to get it right. I initially learned this technique when I had carpal tunnel syndrome which started on my picking arm from too much high speed picking practice. I started doing left hand only and then got carpal tunnel syndrome in my fretting hand and had to stop all together for a while. But yeah, it's doable! And it's fun! I started with just one string and worked up from there!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 16 2021, 03:40 PM) *
Awesome, but how do you keep the strings quiet? Noise gate???

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Aug 17 2021, 04:15 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
It seems his one handed technique has evolved since I first started seeing him doing it in probably the early or mid 80's. He used it briefly in the Crossroads guitar battle with a right hand mute at the top of the neck. Not sure if he was first to do it but I remember seeing other guitarists doing it after I noticed Vai.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 17 2021, 04:18 AM
Very true! I have to be honest, I ripped it off directly from him after seeing that movie. smile.gif The "overhand mute" just looked cool. so I started doing it at shows back in the day. Here steve is from the movie.
Attached Image

Then later I figured out how to do it without the mute so I could just hold the guitar up and use the left hand only. As in this ancient photo where I'm mid solo using just the one hand. (Forgive the poor quality, it's and old vid grab)
Attached Image
Attached Image

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Aug 16 2021, 11:15 PM) *
It seems his one handed technique has evolved since I first started seeing him doing it in probably the early or mid 80's. He used it briefly in the Crossroads guitar battle with a right hand mute at the top of the neck. Not sure if he was first to do it but I remember seeing other guitarists doing it after I noticed Vai.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 17 2021, 04:46 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 18 2021, 01:17 AM
Learning Rock Star
EDIT: Nevermind, but still an interesting bit here:

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 18 2021, 01:19 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2021, 03:12 AM
I missed what you had here before you edited it, but he does bring up a good point on using the first finger as a mute. Before that he talks about pulling up the finger during legato as it causes too much hand tension for him. I think if one has poor tension control one might need to pull their fiirst finger entirely off the fretboard to avoid too much tension. For some folks, this could be very practical. I don't have this issue at all, and at high speeds, having to pull the finger away seems a waste of time/energy for the hand. However, I think its a great idea to mute with the first finger of the left hand when the right hand is not touching the strings as in the one handed technique VAi and myself are doing in the above posts. Sometimes, it's best to move the first finger each time there is a change/shift, sometimes, it's a good idea to leave it close as a mute or even as a finger bar depending on what is being played.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 17 2021, 08:17 PM) *
EDIT: Nevermind, but still an interesting bit here:

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 18 2021, 03:25 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 18 2021, 03:23 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 18 2021, 04:12 AM) *
I missed what you had here before you edited it, but he does bring up a good point on using the first finger as a mute. Before that he talks about pulling up the finger during legato as it causes too much hand tension for him. I think he has poor tension control if that is the case, so he needs to pull his finger entirely off the fretboard to avoid it. For some folks, this could be very practical. I don't have this issue at all, and at high speeds, having to pull the finger away seems a waste of time/energy for the hand. However, I think its a great idea to mute with the first finger of the left hand when the right hand is not touching the strings as in the one handed technique VAi and myself are doing in the above posts. Sometimes, it's best to move the first finger each time there is a change/shift, sometimes, it's a good idea to leave it close as a mute or even as a finger bar depending on what is being played.

Ah, it was supposed to have a timestamp, but seems embeds on GMC doesn't do that. It was the bit around 6 minutes in. Tom Quayle is known for great legato. Just an interesting take on it smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2021, 03:29 AM
no worries smile.gif It's a very interesting bit.

This is a soundcloud test

https://soundcloud.com/drastik-katz/blind-faith
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 17 2021, 10:23 PM) *
Ah, it was supposed to have a timestamp, but seems embeds on GMC doesn't do that. It was the bit around 6 minutes in. Tom Quayle is known for great legato. Just an interesting take on it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 19 2021, 11:31 PM
BTW, it's really quite possible to play with only one hand and it's a great way to test your precision in playing. If you play with one hand and get a lot of string noise, it's a good opportunity to isolate what is causing the noise. It's a great way to find out if your fingers are hitting things that they shouldn't be. Also, if you are playing with good fret hand pressure, the sounds you make should drown out any parasympathetic vibrations on other strings. It's a great drill to work on your fret hand precision smile.gif Give it s a shot!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:58 AM