Secret To Easy Alt Picking, Quick Licks #25 (Looped)
Todd Simpson
Apr 28 2018, 09:51 PM
GMC:er
QUICK LICKS #25 ALTERNATE PICKING LOOPING PATTERNS

INTRO:

This is is straight up ALTERNATE PICKING. One thing, DONT TRY TO SHRED THIS! It's not built for speed. I can't play it that fast. Fast is not the point of this. The idea is to get your hand used to doing only Atlernate Picking during a semi complex lick with string traverse. It's easy to slip up and switch to econ without meaning to. The point here is to try to stay in strict Alt Picking.

The lick is only over two strings. Keep it palm muted and play at an even/steady pace. This lick will allow you to get a leg up on Mastery of your Alternate Picking!

Here is the tablature. Start with a down stroke and then Alternate each strike.
*NOTE: The lick is written to be loopable. Try to loop it and keep it clean.

Attached Image

Attached File  25.gp5 ( 1.72K ) Number of downloads: 107

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This is a focused ALT picking lick it's not really attached to a backing. However, It's in the key/scale of E Minor just further up the neck so you can play it with any backing based in E Minor.

BTW:
Let me know if this one or any of them are just to complicated for you guys or just not what you wanna play. I need to figure out why some like this one get no response.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 5 2018, 03:52 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
George Hlio
May 5 2018, 08:26 PM
Experienced Rock Star
My take Sarge!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 6 2018, 11:38 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 7 2018, 05:36 AM
NAILED IT!! Nicely done indeed. I thought your first pass through was going to be your top speed, I didn't expect you to ramp it up like that. Honestly the first pass was good enough to make the grade. The other two were gravy but very cool none the less. You didn't lose any precision or synch when you sped up which is the key.

Solid Muting, tight hand synch, not over committing on any one pick strike, smooth and even playing, never missed a note. This drill is intended to wear down your hand and confuse your fingers. It repeats and loops in a somewhat confusing way so it can be easy to lose track of where one is in the pattern. You didn't have any trouble with it at all. Nice!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (George Hlio @ May 5 2018, 03:26 PM) *
My take Sarge!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 9 2018, 01:12 AM
Killed it! This is a great example for other folks to see. Notice how little motion is going on with Bens fingers. He keeps them close to the fretboard so that they are ready to fret the next note. Alt Picking is on point here as this entire lick is based on Alternate Picking. No problems there at all. Good mute as well to stop string noise.

A great example and sets a high bark, played with precision/speed and very smooth. A really fine performance. This is what I"m looking for. Also I can see the pick and the left hand, and hear it ! Which is important wink.gif In other words you just!..

LEVELED UP!
*Also you are the only GMCer to have completed every single Quick Lick! Thus earning the Star of Honor.

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 6 2018, 06:38 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 9 2018, 01:18 AM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 6 2018, 06:32 AM
Was hoping to get this lick up to 140, atm 130 seems to be my limit.
I went up the scale diatonically just to mess around with different fingerings.

Kinda gets a bit sloppy after 45 secs... Mainly, well because I am running out of juicy.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 6 2018, 09:33 PM
NICE!! I see that you not only played the lick, but you stepped up and gave it a mod and ran it all the way up the neck! I can tell you put some time in the wood shed on this!! I can hear the fatigue in your fingers toward the end letting me know you earned the living crap out of it!!!!!!
This is a GREAT lick for working on your ALTERNATE PICKING. You are actually playing it faster that I am in the Demo Video!! That was unexpected as I'm playing it about as fast as is comfy for me so super well done on your precision. Not missing, not skipping, not cheating (although this isn't cards, but still), every strike intentional.

Also tight hand synch. There is NO gap in this. You miss one note, you get to start over. I'm sure you ran in to that a couple of times as you got this one under control? Nicely done. You have earned this one for sure. Onward!!!!!
You just....
LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!

Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jul 6 2018, 01:32 AM) *
Was hoping to get this lick up to 140, atm 130 seems to be my limit.
I went up the scale diatonically just to mess around with different fingerings.

Kinda gets a bit sloppy after 45 secs... Mainly, well because I am running out of juicy.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 6 2018, 09:36 PM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 6 2018, 09:42 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 6 2018, 09:33 PM) *
You miss one note, you get to start over. I'm sure you ran in to that a couple of times as you got this one under control? Nicely done. You have earned this one for sure. Onward!!!!!

Especially on that part.
Switching strings with inside picking is still something I got to figure out on higher tempo. I still tend to lose some balance.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jul 6 2018, 09:44 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 6 2018, 09:58 PM
BINGO!! That's the "Inversion" part of the scale which creates finger twisting smile.gif This lick can be run down every single string using this same method and in fact there is another drill where we run it through all the strings. There are yet other drills where we run this through actual scale positions and it gets a pinch tricky. You have a really good handle on it though so I don't think you'll have any trouble!
Todd

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jul 6 2018, 04:42 PM) *

Especially on that part.
Switching strings with inside picking is still something I got to figure out on higher tempo. I still tend to lose some balance.

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Nov 4 2018, 02:07 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 5 2018, 03:51 AM
NICE!! This is a tricky lick and you've clearly got it well in hand!!! I'd say try it with your pinky so that you are ready when this comes up in BOOTCAMP. For quick licks, any fingers you like are fine, in Bootcamp, things are a bit more strict. Also, the delay is still killing me a bit. But it seems like you may have done a few of these with that same setting so live and learn smile.gif No delay in bootcamp for sure. Try to avoid it for quick licks too for the net batch. But your playing is on point here which is what I'm looking for, so you just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Nov 4 2018, 09:07 AM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 28 2019, 09:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QL25 up for scrutiny Sarge,

This is the hardest one I've done, that's why it's taken so long and I don't think I'll ever be able to play it any quicker than this for any more than four repeats, I don't know why but even staring at the tab didn't help me, my fingers just would not follow the pattern.

Hopefully this is enough to put this one to bed rolleyes.gif

https://youtu.be/r6YciAzuK-g

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 28 2019, 10:49 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 29 2019, 11:28 PM
This one is a serious finger twister. Notice that I don't play it much faster than you are playing it even in my demo video. It's a "speed trap" sort of lick. It's not meant to be played fast, it's meant to be a serious finger twister requiring you to think about finger placement on each note. The good news is you do a great job playing this lick. You even use your pinky which is great. The weakest finger does not want to obey the brain in this type of lick. The hand starts to want to use the first three fingers instead. I placed it at the point on the neck where it's really not practical to use the first three, but some folks hands just lead them to do it that way. I think you should be proud of this one. It's one of the most difficult of all the Quick Licks series and you played it as well as I did in the demo. It's smoot, evenly paced, and precise. Score!!!
You just...
LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 28 2019, 04:06 PM) *
QL25 up for scrutiny Sarge,

This is the hardest one I've done, that's why it's taken so long and I don't think I'll ever be able to play it any quicker than this for any more than four repeats, I don't know why but even staring at the tab didn't help me, my fingers just would not follow the pattern.

Hopefully this is enough to put this one to bed rolleyes.gif

https://youtu.be/r6YciAzuK-g

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 30 2019, 07:10 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Todd,

It's a finger twister for sure, regarding the pinky, I do tend to use it quite a lot as I like to "stay in position", the only time I move to my third finger is for bending on the note that the pinky would normally finger, if that makes sense. Maybe that's cheating, maybe I should develop bending ability with the pinky?

Cheers buddy

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 1 2019, 03:01 AM
It's handy to be able to bend with and without the pinky. I usually bend with the third finger and first finger. Some folks use the first thred. I leave the pinky free usually in case I need him to do a hammer/pull smile.gif
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 30 2019, 02:10 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

It's a finger twister for sure, regarding the pinky, I do tend to use it quite a lot as I like to "stay in position", the only time I move to my third finger is for bending on the note that the pinky would normally finger, if that makes sense. Maybe that's cheating, maybe I should develop bending ability with the pinky?

Cheers buddy

Phil

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 25 2019, 03:00 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2019, 05:57 PM
NICE!!!! This is a classic "inversion" drill. This is a much simpler drill than playing this inversion through two octaves of the Minor scale which you have done bootcamp. Still, it makes a great warmup and a great way to work on hand synch. It's not a speed drill since it's so complex that one can't really "shred" this. Your playing it at quite an advanced speed there in the vid so well done! You got this!

You just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 24 2019, 10:00 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:33 PM