2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Fixing Floydrose, please
Rowan
Feb 26 2009, 12:47 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

Before I was wondering why my floydrose wouldnt go back and forward properly but I found out if you turn the screws at the back strings it levels it up, so I done that and its working great, however my strings are a bit away from the fretboard now and I like them close-ish.

Im sure ive seen this before and how to fix it but no luck so far.

I just want the strings to be closer to the fret without the floydrose un-leveling again.

Thanks,

Rowan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Jackson RR24 Snow White
Schecter C-1 Exotic Star w/ EMG 81-85
LINE6 PODxt Live w/ all additional patches
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

https://www.youtube.com/ScottR31
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 26 2009, 02:28 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
lower the bridge by turning the two posts that the FR rocks in, usually a hex head screw, easy to do smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 26 2009, 02:35 PM
What ive noticed is one turns easy but the other is really stiff, i dont know if the screw is in right, if I unscrew them completely, will that mean ill need to buy new strings again?

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 26 2009, 02:39 PM
QUOTE (Rowan @ Feb 26 2009, 01:35 PM) *
What ive noticed is one turns easy but the other is really stiff, i dont know if the screw is in right, if I unscrew them completely, will that mean ill need to buy new strings again?

they are sometimes stiff, I`d slacken off the strings first before you do it anyway smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 26 2009, 02:55 PM
Instructor
Possibly you can spray a tiny amount of WD lubricant right on the screw to get things going.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 27 2009, 12:41 AM
Its like when I turn the other it moves fine, but when I try the first it just goes so far, then makes a crunching noise as if it wont go any further, but if I manage to unscrew both and that means the bit comes out that wont affect the strings with it, i should be able to fit it back on with the strings still attached? ... or would i need to take off and buy new ones?

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 27 2009, 12:47 AM
QUOTE (Rowan @ Feb 26 2009, 11:41 PM) *
Its like when I turn the other it moves fine, but when I try the first it just goes so far, then makes a crunching noise as if it wont go any further, but if I manage to unscrew both and that means the bit comes out that wont affect the strings with it, i should be able to fit it back on with the strings still attached? ... or would i need to take off and buy new ones?

if your going to remove the bridge entirely then I`d take all the strings off, remove the rear panel of the guitar and take out the springs that hold the bridge tension, then you`ll be able to remove the bridge and work on those bridge posts smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Feb 27 2009, 01:01 AM
QUOTE (Smells @ Feb 27 2009, 12:47 AM) *
if your going to remove the bridge entirely then I`d take all the strings off, remove the rear panel of the guitar and take out the springs that hold the bridge tension, then you`ll be able to remove the bridge and work on those bridge posts smile.gif

DO NOT take the strings off, just slack and pop the springs and then carefully take the bridge out. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 28 2009, 07:17 PM
Ok im having no luck with this, as far as I can see the bridge is lined up perfect but the strings are still too far away from frets, and the 2 screws on teh bridge wont go down any further...

I took some pictures incase this helps explain this to me as im still clueless about floydrose's

**pictures are in attachements**

Hopefully someone can help me with this sad.gif Dying to play my Jackson lol

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 28 2009, 09:06 PM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Feb 27 2009, 12:01 AM) *
DO NOT take the strings off, just slack and pop the springs and then carefully take the bridge out. smile.gif

thats ok if your happy with the bridge dangling around with all the strings attached, I have done it this way myself once or twice, but its as much hassle leaving them on as it is taking them all off so there is no "DO NOT" to taking the strings off, it isnt a no no.

Your action is way high! wow! although the truss rod is not a device to lower your action, you probably need to make some trust rod adjustments as well, you can do this yourself, you must just be very careful, heres a pretty good explanation on what it does and how to adjust http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001...neimbody1.shtml just remember to make very small adjustments at a time.

This post has been edited by Smells: Feb 28 2009, 09:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 28 2009, 09:35 PM
In that guide it shows you the screw is at the top of the neck, I dont see anything like that, its a Jackson RR24 if that helps anyway.

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 28 2009, 09:39 PM
QUOTE (Rowan @ Feb 28 2009, 08:35 PM) *
In that guide it shows you the screw is at the top of the neck, I dont see anything like that, its a Jackson RR24 if that helps anyway.

Is there a plastic triangular shaped cover at the top, if so you need to take that off, it`ll be under that.

something like this Attached Image

This post has been edited by Smells: Feb 28 2009, 09:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 28 2009, 09:49 PM
Ok ive got it, so I leave it the way it is, but if I want to lower the strings then I loosen or tighten the truss?

Also, I went to put an allen key inside it and it nearly fell straight down the neck, it moved... is that normal?

Just an update, ive got the device and I can turn it, so how much and which way should I turn?

This post has been edited by Rowan: Feb 28 2009, 09:55 PM

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 28 2009, 10:08 PM
QUOTE (Rowan @ Feb 28 2009, 08:49 PM) *
but if I want to lower the strings then I loosen or tighten the truss?

just to re emphasise, the truss rod isnt a device for lowering the strings, its for neck adjustment, you possibly have too much bow in your guitars neck therfore making the strings appear further away from the fretboard, you possibly need to straighten the neck using the truss rod smile.gif

Follow the instructions in the guide from the link I gave you above, or google "Truss rod adjustment" there are loads of guides available, again small adjustments will make a big difference and do not keep tightening if the nut feels stiff at all.

This post has been edited by Smells: Feb 28 2009, 10:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 28 2009, 10:10 PM
If I want the strings lowered and your saying that this doesnt do that, it only effects the neck, how does this all make sense...

Sorry im a complete n00b and I really hate not playing my guitar lol...

Also im refreshing this page so I can reply straight away

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 28 2009, 10:19 PM
QUOTE (Smells @ Feb 28 2009, 10:08 PM) *
just to re emphasise, the truss rod isnt a device for lowering the strings, its for neck adjustment, you possibly have too much bow in your guitars neck therfore making the strings appear further away from the fretboard, you possibly need to straighten the neck using the truss rod smile.gif

Follow the instructions in the guide from the link I gave you above, or google "Truss rod adjustment" there are loads of guides available, again small adjustments will make a big difference and do not keep tightening if the nut feels stiff at all.

btw, if you have a bow in the neck, you should turn the allen key towards yourself. do this carefully, checking the straightness of the neck frequently.

however, as it is visible on the photos, the bridge plate is not horizontal with the body of the guitar. if you can't lower the screws holding it, then you could tighten the screws in the tremolo-chamber that hold the plate where the springs are attached to. this means you drill into the guitar body with both screws. this might seem barbaric, but if the everything is tight and fixed as it should be, if the neck doesn't have a curve in it, then this is the last option. this means that the guitar wasn't set up well in the factory. when doing this you should take of the springs first from the plate.

oops, just took a glance at your photos: there is one more option: you could reattach one of the 2 strings in the middle diagonally, so it gets much more tight. then retune the guitar. this should solve the bridge plate-issue. however, you should also check the neck as Smells said whether it has a curve in it

This post has been edited by berko: Feb 28 2009, 10:21 PM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 28 2009, 10:23 PM
Ive tried turning the screw/nut (loosen) direction but it doesnt seem to make much difference sad.gif

Looking at the neck, it doesnt look bowed or bent

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 28 2009, 10:28 PM
QUOTE (Rowan @ Feb 28 2009, 09:10 PM) *
If I want the strings lowered and your saying that this doesnt do that, it only effects the neck, how does this all make sense...

Sorry im a complete n00b and I really hate not playing my guitar lol...

Rowan, if the neck has a slight bend in it then the Truss Rod adjustment should straighten the neck. TBH looking at your pics I'm more inclined to think that it just needs setting up properly rather than there being a problem with your neck. If you're that new to this sort of thing then I suggest taking it to your nearest Guitar Shop and asking their Tech to give it a Service!! Shouldn't be too expensive and it'll be worth it!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 28 2009, 10:29 PM
When I look at the guitar its all straight, except the neck, if you look at it sideways it bends back slightly, but isnt that ment to be like that because of the model of it?

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 28 2009, 10:29 PM
QUOTE (Rowan @ Feb 28 2009, 10:23 PM) *
Ive tried turning the screw/nut (loosen) direction but it doesnt seem to make much difference sad.gif

Looking at the neck, it doesnt look bowed or bent

Well because it's about doing only minor adjustments to it.

If you pick up the guitar and place it to the level of your eyes holding it in front of you (perfectly horizontally, one hand holding the neck, the other holding the body - see picture) and see "along" the neck, then check the 2 edges of the neck. If they are perfectly straight (no curve in them upwards or downwards) then your neck is straight and it's no use to fiddle with the truss rod
Attached Image

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:57 PM