Help With Creating Grooves In Odd Time Signatures, 13/16 and 5/8
The Uncreator
Feb 3 2012, 12:43 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
So, I am writing a song now, of which the main section consists of six bars of 13/16 followed by 2 bars of 5/8.

I wrote the riff thinking it was something more like 5/4 or 9/8, something I am more familiar with, but then I counted it out. 13 consecutive 16th notes, evenly played.

Now, When I went to write a drum pattern to go along with it, I thought of the time signature as 26/32 so I could deal in evens (just two bars of 13/16), But I seem to be running into a snag here, I've got a drum pattern that works, that fits, but its a bit lacking in groove. Below is a soundclip of the intro, now keep in mind its 13/16 so some oddness I do want to preserve, but I dont want it to feel difficult to find a something to bob your head to.

Also, the main melody is counted in mainly groups of three, even though its a sixteenth note pattern, like this.

1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2, 1-2 - 13/16 bars
1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2, 1-2 - 5/8 Bars

Basically I am looking for something to change in the drums to make them a bit more tight, everything is on time....just not in the same world.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  16.wav ( 22.02MB ) Number of downloads: 237

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Feb 3 2012, 03:50 AM
Instructor
Hey! If you are looking to do drums simpler just use simplified meters
For example if we will look at
13/16 it is two bars of 4/4 and added 5/4 bar.
Since there was no metronome on the recording it's hard to count and be 100% sure about what's going on but I am pretty positive you can just use 4/4
I can help you with it if you will upload a track with a metronome in it

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 3 2012, 06:26 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm liking this man. I wish I could write in odds. Maybe one day. Hope you get some replies.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Feb 4 2012, 12:23 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Feb 2 2012, 11:50 PM) *
Hey! If you are looking to do drums simpler just use simplified meters
For example if we will look at
13/16 it is two bars of 4/4 and added 5/4 bar.
Since there was no metronome on the recording it's hard to count and be 100% sure about what's going on but I am pretty positive you can just use 4/4
I can help you with it if you will upload a track with a metronome in it

bam, that right there did it for me. Thats how I think of every other time signature, I was so focused on thinking in 13/16 I forgot to just simplify it. Thanks for the revelatory reminder!

+Quote Post
TylerT
Feb 6 2012, 05:26 AM
Guitar Hero
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=39050

Hey man, that is an old article I wrote on "The Basic Understanding of Odd Time Signatures", lots of it sounds relevant to what you are talking about!

It sounds to me like the time sig is actually 13/8 (BPM 85-90) or 13/4 (BPM 170-180) (I couldnt get the exact tempo)

For the time sig to be 13/16 your BPM would have had to been 40-45 (which I doubt)

Also keep in mind, "13/16 it is two bars of 4/4 and added 5/4 bar" is untrue, as two bars of 4/4 (16/16) and a bar of 5/4 (20/16) equals 52/16, though two bars of 4/16 and one bar of 5/16 would work with your VST

Hope some of this helps, and that your beat turns out great!

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Agile Interceptor Pro 725
- EBMM John Petrucci Signature
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Feb 6 2012, 06:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Feb 3 2012, 11:23 PM) *
bam, that right there did it for me. Thats how I think of every other time signature, I was so focused on thinking in 13/16 I forgot to just simplify it. Thanks for the revelatory reminder!

You are welcome I am glad I could help!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:33 PM