Practice A, B, C
Larry F
May 17 2013, 04:01 AM
GMC:er
In my blues soloing, one particular kind of move I would like to be more spontaneous with and sound more confident is dyads 3rds, 4ths, 6ths, and 8ves. 6ths are the most interesting sounding to me, and I generally like to use two, a step apart, for some kind of punctuation or emphasis. I have several different ways of practicing all of these dyads, which I will call A.

Another move I like to use is a rapidly descending line, usually slurred, often based on the minor pent, but frequently using the 2nd instead of the 3rd, and the 6th instead of the 7th. By substituting these notes, I avoid playing dorian runs. For me, the semitone between 2 and 3, and between 6 and 7 is non-idiomatic in blues playing. Even the greats make exceptions, so I am only speaking of generalities or tendencies. When practicing these runs, I mix up their direction, so I might play a scale: - - - + - + - - - - + - - + - - -. The minuses are usually played as the next step down, whereas the + could be a step up, or two steps up, or maybe three steps. I am describing the + intervals as steps, not as thirds, 4ths, etc., because if the minor pent is my basic scale, there are two pairs of steps that are minor thirds. I'll call this kind of practicing B.

Another move is string bends. There are a lot of ways of integrating bends in one's playing, which often rely on the guitarist's ability to get into the best hand position and bend right to the target, with no out-of-tuneness. I'll call this kind of practicing C.

I probably have 6-10 routines for each type, A, B, C. In reality, I have maybe more types, say, D, E, F, G, H.

I'm of two minds. Part of me wants to keep each type of move fresh in my mind and fingers, so that I can quickly and spontaneously integrate these into my soloing. Another part of me wants to immerse myself into one type, so that I can feel that I have mastered it, and then move onto to something else to practice. The word mastered is, of course, completely relative.

What works for others here in this forum? Immersion or maintenance?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:04 PM