2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Connecting Your Guitar To Your Computer
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 10 2007, 02:24 AM
GMC:er
What do I need to connect my guitar to my computer through my Digitech GNX4 and also a Line 6 POD X3 Live which I may be getting for Christmas.

I know there are things that you plug into a USB port is that what I need? Also what are those called?

Thanks for the help in advance.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
buckjones
Dec 10 2007, 02:29 AM
They should come with the proper cables to connect them to your computer... Two types of connections would be USB and Firewire but I'm not sure if they both have them. Of course there are different types of USB and Firewire cables the devices should have that included so I wouldn't worry about it.

Hope this helps...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
See profile for gear...

Tim Mahoney makes my day.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 10 2007, 02:30 AM
Also one more question. How do you get good sounds out of a multi-effects processor/amp, effects modeler. I know this has been brought up before but I can't find it.

Someone told me it isn't good playing it through a tube amp (which I have a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 Silver Edition) So what should I play them through.

QUOTE (buckjones @ Dec 9 2007, 08:29 PM) *
They should come with the proper cables to connect them to your computer... Two types of connections would be USB and Firewire but I'm not sure if they both have them. Of course there are different types of USB and Firewire cables the devices should have that included so I wouldn't worry about it.

Hope this helps...

My GNX4 didn't come with cables to plug it in with.

+Quote Post
buckjones
Dec 10 2007, 02:33 AM
Oh sorry... Lemme check it out for you.

--------------------
See profile for gear...

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 10 2007, 02:35 AM
Ok.

+Quote Post
buckjones
Dec 10 2007, 02:38 AM
It uses USB... It uses the small USB connection to the normal USB... I can't remember what it's called... If you go here: http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-GNX4-...231-i1124390.gc and click on the pic that shows the back side it shows the USB connection I'm talking about.

The connection is called A Male to B Male...

Here's a link to the cable: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1091099783522

--------------------
See profile for gear...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 10 2007, 02:38 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Pod X3 L:ive comes with everything you need to make cool recordings of your guitar over USB ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 10 2007, 02:39 AM
Ok, now what cables do I need to hook it up to my laptop and what software do I use to play through it?

One more thing also, when playing through a computer, can you hear what your playing right through the speakers at that moment, or do you need to record it first because I don't want to be able to only record but practice through it also.

+Quote Post
buckjones
Dec 10 2007, 02:42 AM
You will probably be able to hear it but unfortunately there will be a delay between the time you pick to the time it reaches the speakers... And yes the USB is the connection you need for your laptop too.

The software you use will depend on what the Digitech is compatible with. The Pod is compatible with tons of recording software.

This post has been edited by buckjones: Dec 10 2007, 02:43 AM

--------------------
See profile for gear...

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 10 2007, 02:43 AM
QUOTE (buckjones @ Dec 9 2007, 08:42 PM) *
You will probably be able to hear it but unfortunately there will be a delay between the time you pick to the time it reaches the speakers... And yes the USB is the connection you need for your laptop too.

Ok, what is a good cable to use for this?

+Quote Post
buckjones
Dec 10 2007, 02:44 AM
USB my friend. With an A Male connector to a B Male connector.

This is the guy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1091099783522

--------------------
See profile for gear...

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 10 2007, 02:47 AM
Oh ok, i thought i'd need something like this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Son...ndle?sku=241580

+Quote Post
buckjones
Dec 10 2007, 02:49 AM
Nope your Digitech is an interface all in itself... And it should have came with software for recording.

--------------------
See profile for gear...

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 10 2007, 02:50 AM
QUOTE (buckjones @ Dec 9 2007, 08:49 PM) *
Nope your Digitech is an interface all in itself... And it should have came with software for recording.

Yeah it did come with the software. Is Cakewalk good?

Sorry about all the questions, i'm new to this stuff.

+Quote Post
buckjones
Dec 10 2007, 02:52 AM
No prob! Yeah Cakewalk is easy to start with (hence the name)... That should get your rollin cause you don't want to start out crazy. From what I know about the Digitech is that it actually has tons of features including a MIDI drum machine.

--------------------
See profile for gear...

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 10 2007, 02:56 AM
QUOTE (buckjones @ Dec 9 2007, 08:52 PM) *
No prob! Yeah Cakewalk is easy to start with (hence the name)... That should get your rollin cause you don't want to start out crazy. From what I know about the Digitech is that it actually has tons of features including a MIDI drum machine.

Yeah, it has a drum machine and all. Hopefully I get the Line 6 POD X3 Live also.

Another thing i've been looking at is this.

http://www.amplitube.com/Main.html?AT2OverviewStompIO

I think i'm going to start reading through all of the information about recording that Andrew has posted so I can learn more about it.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

+Quote Post
buckjones
Dec 10 2007, 02:58 AM
Thats cool but I would totally stick with the Pod!!! Line 6 has won tons of awards for their effects and interfaces and I know Mr. Cockburn would agree with me on this that Line 6 and the Pod hardware is truly one of the greatest effects stations ever made biggrin.gif

--------------------
See profile for gear...

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 10 2007, 03:01 AM
QUOTE (buckjones @ Dec 9 2007, 08:58 PM) *
Thats cool but I would totally stick with the Pod!!! Line 6 has won tons of awards for their effects and interfaces and I know Mr. Cockburn would agree with me on this that Line 6 and the Pod hardware is truly one of the greatest effects stations ever made biggrin.gif

Ok, well I own the GNX4 right now so I will probably use that also. But I will definitely try to get my hands on that POD.

Do you know how to add patches like these to a workstation.

http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/guitar_l...p?productid=199

+Quote Post
buckjones
Dec 10 2007, 03:02 AM
Yeah the Digitech is tons of fun and has some excellent effects and I like the way it's setup.

--------------------
See profile for gear...

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 10 2007, 03:05 AM
Do you know how to add patches to it. I added a link to them in the post above.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:41 AM