Commin' Out Of The Woodshed.
sam47
Feb 1 2008, 01:10 AM
GMC:er
For about the last 10 days at 7:00 I picked up the guitar and spent time doing scales ,starting very slowly , as a warm up. Then with a metronome till I was comfortably keeping in time. Usually realizing the time at between 9:30 and 10:00. At first I felt like I was going backwards in what I was trying to accomplish. Starting with slow, basic practices. Well I moved through it quickly and couldn't have been more wrong!. My fingers are stronger. My chords are cleaner. My hands and wrist don't get as fitigued as bad. I recognise scale patterns in songs and learn with much more comprehendtion. My kids got me a Tom Petty song book and I picked two songs to work on, "Amecican Girl" and "Into the Great Wide Open". No , nothing difficult but I can damn near play them all the way through. This is a very big accomplishment for me. I didn't get much of anything else done but it was with out a doubt time well spent! I'm having a blast !!!!!!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 1 2008, 01:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (sam47 @ Feb 1 2008, 12:10 AM) *
For about the last 10 days at 7:00 I picked up the guitar and spent time doing scales ,starting very slowly , as a warm up. Then with a metronome till I was comfortably keeping in time. Usually realizing the time at between 9:30 and 10:00. At first I felt like I was going backwards in what I was trying to accomplish. Starting with slow, basic practices. Well I moved through it quickly and couldn't have been more wrong!. My fingers are stronger. My chords are cleaner. My hands and wrist don't get as fitigued as bad. I recognise scale patterns in songs and learn with much more comprehendtion. My kids got me a Tom Petty song book and I picked two songs to work on, "Amecican Girl" and "Into the Great Wide Open". No , nothing difficult but I can damn near play them all the way through. This is a very big accomplishment for me. I didn't get much of anything else done but it was with out a doubt time well spent! I'm having a blast !!!!!!!!

Great to hear! biggrin.gif Glad your having fun! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 1 2008, 01:14 AM
Instructor
Great news,keep it up!!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
rokchik
Feb 1 2008, 01:18 AM
The Dark Canuck
Great to hear Sam. It makes a huge difference when your having fun! Keep up the good work man smile.gif

rok

+Quote Post
sam47
Feb 1 2008, 01:46 PM
I am having fun at it now. that's got to be the biggest improvement. I don't worry that I'm never gonna get it anymore. Playing from 7 to 10 may not sound like much but after puting in 8,9 10 hours at work ,comming home and laundry needs done ,things put away ,my truck needed fixed (which I did yesterday) it was all the time I had to myself. I gotta say though that everything that I was doing was constantly going through my head. I listened to "Damn the Torpedoes" everyday back and fourth to work. At home I'd play over and over the songs I mentioned. Not that I haven't listen to them hundreds of times since the albums came out. I was going to learn something or give the whole thing up. For ten days I gave it all I could and it paid off.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 1 2008, 06:16 PM
Instructor
This is great man, I love your enthusiasm! Keep rockin! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sam47
Feb 2 2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks Ivan for the info about my amp question too. I'm concentrating mostly on technique and scales. I'm spening most of my time on that. Playing the songs is my fun part of practice. I want to say again how great this site is and the people here. Everyones willingness to help and the encouragement are invaluable. Just in case anyone's interested here's my rig and woodshed.
96' Mex Strat
Deluxe 112plus amp
Cry Baby Wah (christmas gift, don't really know how to use it........yet)
Yamaha Portatone (used mostly for the metanome and drum tracks. Yard sale $25)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 2 2008, 03:25 PM
Singing Instructor
good set up...you shoud try to use yor keyboard(besides metronome and drums)for a few chords..and if you can record them somehow you can practise your own melodies aswell.. smile.gif

--------------------

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 3 2008, 12:12 AM
Instructor
laugh.gif I have a very similar fretsheet showing the Cmajor scale on the wall too! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 3 2008, 12:19 AM
Instructor
I'm glad you saw your improvement in a boring "shredder's practice routine" smile.gif And btw. having your "wood shed" arranged that way really motivates you for more practicing and playing in general - nice pic man! Keep rocking smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
sam47
Feb 3 2008, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the acknowledgement eveyone! The fret sheet I drew up myself. It's the whole notes on each string to the 12th fret. I have a copy in a book but it was diffucult to use it that way so I made a big one right in front of me. The top row I'm going to put the I II III IV V blues boxes in. I'm standing at the front door taking the picture. I set up in several different spots in the house and this ones working the best for me so far. As soon as I walk in It's right there to remind me. I pick it up everyday. Ya know Pavel it is kind of a boring routine but I see it as one of those things you gotta do and time you gotta put in. One of the gratifying things about it is within an hour or so I can learn a scale ,not proficient at it but it's an accomplishment. Then as I go along I can see my progress as I get cleaner notes, faster tempo, my fingering is more precise. When I do get out there and play some songs I want to know what I'm doing and be good at it. Everything I want to learn I think I can find here. Not to mention the support group we ALL have here.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:08 AM