13 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 >  
Victor's Bootcamp, Fell Deeds Awake! Now for Wrath!! Now for Ruin!!
Todd Simpson
Jan 15 2021, 01:56 AM
GMC:er
Good question Soldier and good eye!! I've updated the Mission Notes.
For the Warmup/A Section..
Strike Once Hammer Many! On this first part, strike the open string and then hammer on the other notes. Keep a good palm mute but don't crush the strings or they won't ring at all.

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 13 2021, 03:28 PM) *
Hi,

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...%9D_-_Lesson_41

Part A of lesson 41 should be alternate picking or hammer ons?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 19 2021, 07:04 PM
Learning Roadie
Lesson 41

Here is 41a:
I can't control the flying pinky

Here is 41b and 41c:

Here is 41d:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 20 2021, 02:42 AM
Well fought Soldier!! This one is a big exploration of the pentatonic shape and how it can be used with open and closed shapes. That is to say with open strings and closed fretting combined . Using an open string in a lick gives you an extra note that you don't have to fret. So you can get three notes per string while only fretting two of them. These licks work great in solo work and work great in a warmup. Keep running them and they will get faster and faster. You've got this bit sorted Soldier. You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 19 2021, 02:04 PM) *
Lesson 41

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 27 2021, 06:43 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Lesson 42,

Just the warming up part.

I still have to do the solo with the backing track.

I am not too happy with my improvisation over the backing track:
- it sounds like I am just playing scales up and down
- if I come up with a melody it sounds like random notes melody
- even if let's see the melody is good it doesn't fit with the backing track

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 28 2021, 09:23 PM
Well played!! Don't be shy on your solo. It's just there to let me hear how you are coming along. It's only one short guitar solo, meant to allow you to practice making a solo, and to let me see what might be improved. Quick tips.

Start slow and built up.
Start with a bend, or slow phrase. Leave gaps in between the notes.
Build tension slowly by using ascending scales.
Pay of the tension with something played near the higher frets. Typically a root note with vibrato.
Add on tapping, and other techniques.
Put the backing on a loop in your daw and hit record. Record a dozen takes in a row without stopping. Go back and listen. You may be shocked at what you find. Sometimes, this is how I build solos myself smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 27 2021, 01:43 PM) *
Hi,

Lesson 42,

Just the warming up part.

I still have to do the solo with the backing track.

I am not too happy with my improvisation over the backing track:
- it sounds like I am just playing scales up and down
- if I come up with a melody it sounds like random notes melody
- even if let's see the melody is good it doesn't fit with the backing track

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 31 2021, 06:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Lesson 42,

Tears In Rain improvisation:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 1 2021, 07:36 AM
Super congrats on putting together a solo!!! I like how it turned out. It's a good example of technique and musicality coming together to make something cool!!! You show solid technique and a good sense of musicality. The only way to get better at playing solos, is to actually play and record solos. The "RED LIGHT" syndrome is something that keeps people from making progress quite often. When that red recording light comes on the camera, sometimes, people freeze. Not you!! smile.gif

One thing that needs a fix is the bend at 34 seconds. Take a listen to it. It's the one note in the entire solo that is just not right. All of the other bends, etc, work well imho. I want to see if you can do one more pass on this to have a take without any bad notes. Also, try to throw in a little bit of tapping if possible. Nothing fancy, just something to add texture to the solo. The more practice on solos the better!! Give me one more Soldier!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 31 2021, 01:29 PM) *
Lesson 42,

Tears In Rain improvisation:

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Feb 8 2021, 06:34 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Here is take 2

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2021, 06:22 AM
Better!! I like how you used various techniques in this one. Added some hammering etc. Also, a good use of empty space. Not using every bit of space in a solo is something that some players really struggle with. I personally struggle with it sometimes when I get a bit carried away smile.gif It's always a good idea to leave some gaps. Your bending is good here and most of them are to pitch. There is one more at 1:07 that doesn't hit pitch. It's a good idea to think out each bend ahead of time to find out if it's in key or not. A full step bend is like moving two frets up the neck. If you plan on a bend, just move two frets up the neck and check it against the scale chart from the scale generator here on GMC to make sure it's in key for the backing. Your ear will catch this stuff in the future. Until then, it's down to mapping things out.

It's only one note though and this solo is more than good enough to get you a BADGE UP!!! It's great to see you putting all of the work you've done together and apply it to actual music. Practicing your solos against youtube backings is a great way to practice and joining every GMC collab is also a great idea. Just like anything else, the only way to get better at soloing is to do a LOT of it!

Congrats Soldier!
You Just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Feb 8 2021, 01:34 PM) *
Hi,

Here is take 2

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Feb 9 2021, 08:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Regarding Lesson 43:

Exercise 43a - Should be done using economy picking or strict alternate picking?

Exercise 43b - I see it's the same shape in Guitar Pro file like in the image attached but moved 2 frets up?
Which one should I practice or it doesn't matter since it's the same shape?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2021, 10:53 PM
They are two separate pieces. The first is just a warmup. The second is an actual scale so the notes are different. I just checked the GP files and they seem correct. I'm attaching the second gp file here so you can see the difference. The second one is a minor scale inversion lick. As for picking, this one is dealers choice. unless it's mentioned to do a certain type of picking, you can use whatever works for you. I typically use alternate on these types of bits.

Attached File  43b.gp5 ( 2.24K ) Number of downloads: 401

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Feb 9 2021, 03:56 PM) *
Hi,

Regarding Lesson 43:

Exercise 43a - Should be done using economy picking or strict alternate picking?

Exercise 43b - I see it's the same shape in Guitar Pro file like in the image attached but moved 2 frets up?
Which one should I practice or it doesn't matter since it's the same shape?

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Feb 28 2021, 09:18 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi

Lesson 43a

Lesson 43b

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 1 2021, 03:18 AM
Well played Soldier!! This one can be broken down on three main lines.

PALM MUTE: I have you use every string so that I can see if there are any gaps in your mute. it's harder to tell this when a drill is only on a few strings. When every string is used, it's easy to tell if there are any gaps as the technique will often fall down at some point in the traverse. Your palm mute is very solid. Well done!

PINKY POWER: This is all about pinky power. I'm very glad you are not trying to play this with the first three fingers. Some players will try to use the first three even on the lower frets where it really doesn't work well. Your pinky power has gotten better with each mission and continues to improve. Keep it up!

HAND SYNCH: There are a lot of notes in these. Also constant fret/string traverse. if your hand synch is off, you'll start missing notes. So I give the hand plenty of chances to miss a note. You don't miss any which is great. Your precision is top notch!!

In short you are right where you should be Soldier!! keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting better!! All of these drills are meant to prepare your hands to express yourself musically. Ideally, your technique should not limit your artistic expression. Technique should simply flow. The best way to test this is to simply improv a solo over a backing. Pick any backing track on youtube, find the key signature and start trying to solo over it. Try to make this a regular part of your practice and feel free to share them with me smile.gif Also, always hop on every possible gmc collab. They are a great chance to use what you have learned.

Congrats Soldier you just..

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Mar 1 2021, 06:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Regarding next Lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...%9D_-_Lesson_44

The warmup parts are legato only?

The next patterns are to be playing with a metronome or on the provided backing track?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 2 2021, 12:49 AM
I am adding some text to the mission to try to make it more clear.

For the warmup, Strike the open string and hammer on the next two notes. So one strike and two hammer ons for each 3 note group.

for part A and B, it's purely about technique. You can play A and B back to back or you can play A and then play B. Either way is fine. Keep a good palm mute and strike each note. No legato.

The last bit is just a chance to play a bit of a guitar solo. The backing is in B and I show the B minor scale on the diagram. You can look at the diagram as you play or map out something to play and then record it. I just want to give you a chance to play some actual music. smile.gif

Hope this helps. let me know if you have questions!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Mar 1 2021, 01:47 PM) *
Hi,

Regarding next Lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...%9D_-_Lesson_44

The warmup parts are legato only?

The next patterns are to be playing with a metronome or on the provided backing track?

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Mar 10 2021, 06:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Lesson 44 is here

Warm Up

Exercise 44 a and b:

Improvisation in lesson 44:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 11 2021, 05:00 AM
Your drills are spot on Soldier and your solo starts well but about 15 seconds in you hit a bad note on a bend that needs to be sorted. Your showing very good technique here all around. Keep in mind for the solo that it's in B minor. If you want to play a pentonic blues scale in B up past the 12th fret, the root note is on the 19th fret on the low E. That bend I think you were going for is the last note on a 24 fret neck on the high E which can be bent to pitch starting on the 22nd fret on the high E and bending up a whole step. I think you bent to pitch in a mid tone between notes in the B minor scale which is why it sounds out of key. Take a look at the fretboard map in the Mission brief. It shows all the notes in B minor up the neck. Stay in this scale and it will sort itself out. Land on a B (marked in blue) now and then to resolve things. This is the basics of rock soloing. I think you have the chops for this soldier! On the neck solo take, give me a pinch more volume and gain on guitar if possible so I can hear you better. Once more in to the breach!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Mar 10 2021, 01:20 PM) *
Hi,

Lesson 44 is here

Warm Up

Exercise 44 a and b:

Improvisation in lesson 44:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 26 2021, 05:44 AM
I have created a new Mute Drill just for my BOOTCAMP SOLDIERS! This one is not for a badge. This is just to help you work on your mute. It's a very simple drill. Just palm mute the bridge, and take your fret hand OFF of the guitar entirely. This will force your palm mute to do all the mute work and show you if there are gaps in your mute. So try it as in the vid, just strike each string a few times, and move on to the next string. Make sure that you don't hear any other string other than the one you are striking. That's the point of this drill. To make sure that you can isolate all of the other strings with your palm mute.

if you notice that you hear other strings ringing, even when you are not striking them, adjust your palm mute angle/position until you find that sweet spot where your palm should be resting. This is the secret sauce folks. Once you sort this out, you won't have to worry about string noise getting in your way, even on our crazy open string licks that span several or all of the strings. It's a quick and simple drill that can really help you isolate any issues with your mute. give it a whirl!!

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Aug 22 2021, 07:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Muting Video

The part of lesson 44 that I haven't passed last time:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 22 2021, 09:18 PM
Well Fought!! Your mute drill is spot on. That's the technique I'm trying to teach. If you can do all the strings and keep it muted, then you can play any string wtihout lifting the mute and without adding string noise. Nice! Your solo is killer as well. The entire point of that Mission is to get the Soldier to dive in and play a solo. It should sound in key and on time. Yours sounds great! I think your solo ability has come a long way since even the last Mission vid!!!

BIG NEWS: Boot Camp is changing a bit, and from here on the Soldier can pick which drill they want to submit in each Mission. IF there are four drills in a given Mission, you pick the one that you want to work on for the Mission Vid. You have the option to do them all if you want, but it's not required. This should give Soldiers a bit more flexibility and reduce the amount of time requierd for each mission as some of them can be a bit too long.

You got this! You just..

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Aug 22 2021, 02:49 PM) *
Muting Video

The part of lesson 44 that I haven't passed last time:

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:19 PM