Changing Strings ?
jonathan
May 2 2009, 01:08 PM
GMC:er
hey guys, How often should i change the strings of my guitar?

i've got a washburn lyon series WE - 10/TS.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 2 2009, 01:11 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
When you feel your string are getting 'dusty' (don't know if this is the right term) and they kinda hurt your finger when you slide you can change them
Also if you use string cleaner like fast fret for example your strings durability will be longer, and don't forget to wipe out your string each time after you play them smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 3 2009, 12:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jonathan @ May 2 2009, 02:08 PM) *
hey guys, How often should i change the strings of my guitar?

i've got a washburn lyon series WE - 10/TS.

Depends how much you play I guess. If you gig, you should change them before every gig just in case, and if you play/practice at home, then you can hold them as long as you want, possibly even a month. You will see when they start detuning etc.. ideally you should change them whenever the string looses that initial top end sizzle.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jonathan
May 4 2009, 01:51 PM
QUOTE (Jad Diab @ May 2 2009, 08:11 PM) *
When you feel your string are getting 'dusty' (don't know if this is the right term) and they kinda hurt your finger when you slide you can change them
Also if you use string cleaner like fast fret for example your strings durability will be longer, and don't forget to wipe out your string each time after you play them smile.gif

Hey jad thanks for your help. smile.gif
I've heard that fast fret has silicone in it and that it damages the fretboard, is this true?

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 3 2009, 07:06 AM) *
Depends how much you play I guess. If you gig, you should change them before every gig just in case, and if you play/practice at home, then you can hold them as long as you want, possibly even a month. You will see when they start detuning etc.. ideally you should change them whenever the string looses that initial top end sizzle.

Thanks for your help Ivan, i think it's time for me to get some new strings then!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 4 2009, 01:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jonathan @ May 4 2009, 02:51 PM) *
I've heard that fast fret has silicone in it and that it damages the fretboard, is this true?

I've been using FastFret for a while and never had any problems with it. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 6 2009, 09:27 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I also change my strings before every single show, or every day when it comes to recording in the studio, but at home I keep them until I think they don't sound good anymore, and this of course depends on how much you play.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Frederik
May 6 2009, 09:34 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
[quote name='jonathan' date='May 4 2009, 02:51 PM' post='376533']
Hey jad thanks for your help. smile.gif

I've heard that to, in a topic here on GMC, i was a quotation from a luthier

-Frederik

+Quote Post
Artemus
May 6 2009, 12:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Fast fret may or may not have silicone in it but it shouldn't really "damage" the fretboard - I've used it for ages. I do however clean the fretboard of any gunk and oil it whenever I change strings. Dr. Stringfellow's another product that's supposed to be quite good.
Regarding the frequency of changing your strings, I'll echo the same as what has already been said: for gigs/recording, use new strings for each session if you can, otherwise change them when they start going "out" - usually the high E and B strings start to lose intonation above the 12th fret.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 6 2009, 02:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
I like my strings to be a little old, I dislike it when they are fresh and clean - it doesn't feel right to me^^

It depends on the maker and how often you play your guitar, the ernie balls on my guitars last one month, maybe two if I don't play that guitar too often but my elixir stings on the Ibanez RG are on there for about 8 months and they are still good!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 6 2009, 02:47 PM
It's completely down to you mate. If you prefer fresh strings then change maybe once a month or more frequently. If you like the sound of older strings then you can change every 3 months or more maybe. It's down to your personal preference. People like Eddie Van Halen for instance prefers broken in strings than fresh ones. Many wouldn't have that view and many will of course. I prefer old strings for example. Change your strings when you no longer like the sound or feel. Or when they snap tongue.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 6 2009, 03:28 PM
How do you guys prefer old strings, tone from new strings just can`t compare with old ones. I think someone is just lazy laugh.gif VH too laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:54 PM