2 Pages V   1 2 >  
*tap Tap*, Is this thing on?
Landara
Jul 22 2008, 09:00 PM
GMC:er
*ahem*....*cough*....

Hi guys, I am the new guy! I had a guitar for about 15-17 years, but then again, in that time I've barely touched it. Not that I don't enjoy playing, because I do, but I've never had anyone to show me how, and I've no time to take private lessons. So for the most part, I just grab the guitar every few months, repeat the couple things I do know, then give up, having absolutely no idea what to do next to become a better player.

I play by ear, and I can play small parts of a few songs, thats about it. I can make a few chords, like GCDFE etc. No scales knowledge at all(I'd never even heard of them till I found this site). I know what tapping and all that good stuff is, but I can only do pulls and hammers, and not very well at all dry.gif

I signed up for this site because I really do wanna get good on the guitar, and now that I have joined, I hope that I will have a guide to help me learn what to practice so I can finally improve.

My favorite music is Metal and Rock, bands I like include:

Bullet for My Valentine(listening to Hearts Burst Into Fire ATM biggrin.gif )
Nightwish
Disturbed
Metallica
Megadeth
Lacuna Coil
NSYNC
not!
All That Remains
Children of Bodom
GNF'NR
Korn
Rise Against
Rammstein
System of a Down
Serj Tankian(but NOT Scars on Broadway)
AC/DC

Ok that was a pretty long list, but I wanted you instructors to have some idea what I will be attempting to play here biggrin.gif I know it will take a lot of time for me to get to the level of my heroes(I tent to like the bands with the most badass throat-cutting riffs and ear-splitting solos so I know it will take years to be able to do what these bad-asses do).

Honestly, I like learning the guitar, so as long as I am making progress, I believe I will enjoy the process. However, as I said before, I have not had an idea of how to make progress before, so my attempts ended in frustration.

Anyway, I shall stop bugging you guys for now, if anyone cut post me some good links of videos or articles to start out with, that would be sweet wink.gif

-Rob

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Landara: Jul 22 2008, 09:01 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sigma7
Jul 22 2008, 09:01 PM
we got the same taste in music haha... Wow 15 years of a guitar thats a long time... well welcome biggrin.gif

you can always start with the beginner guitar lessons if u need them... like the ones on power chords and such. And if ur more advanced just pick ne video that suits ur interest

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sigma7: Jul 22 2008, 09:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Landara
Jul 22 2008, 09:11 PM
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Jul 22 2008, 03:01 PM) *
we got the same taste in music haha... Wow 15 years of a guitar thats a long time... well welcome biggrin.gif

you can always start with the beginner guitar lessons if u need them... like the ones on power chords and such. And if ur more advanced just pick ne video that suits ur interest

Thanks for your welcome biggrin.gif Yeah 15 years is a while(I'm 32 got my guitar when I was 15 so its actually more like 17 years!). But I haven't played very much in that time, as I mentioned, I really didn't know what to practice. I still don't but I wanna learn, and that's why I'm here!

I should also mention my setup. I have a Line 6 Pocket POD hooked into a Pioneer Amp and 2 Fosgate 12s, the whole system sounds pretty damned nice for what I paid for the POD. It's no Marhsall stack, but it's pretty good.

For my guitar I have an Ibanez RG 170(the bridge pickup is an active S.Dunc ...it's a very hot pickup distorting even clean tones, so i have to switch that PU off to get clean tone lol). Again, it's not what Jesus would play if he played guitar, but for my purposes it's pretty nice.

This post has been edited by Landara: Jul 22 2008, 09:12 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 22 2008, 09:15 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Welcome to GMC Rob! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Landara
Jul 22 2008, 09:18 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jul 22 2008, 03:15 PM) *
Welcome to GMC Rob! smile.gif

Thanks! I used to have a Bass, played it in a garage band with some friends! Was much better at bass than guitar, it's much simpler to play(if you don't wanna be good anyway). And we were just messing around so being good didn't matter.

RIP Cliff Burton!
ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
sigma7
Jul 22 2008, 09:18 PM
QUOTE (Landara @ Jul 22 2008, 04:11 PM) *
I should also mention my setup. I have a Line 6 Pocket POD hooked into a Pioneer Amp and 2 Fosgate 12s, the whole system sounds pretty damned nice for what I paid for the POD. It's no Marhsall stack, but it's pretty good.

For my guitar I have an Ibanez RG 170(the bridge pickup is an active S.Dunc ...it's a very hot pickup distorting even clean tones, so i have to switch that PU off to get clean tone lol). Again, it's not what Jesus would play if he played guitar, but for my purposes it's pretty nice.

Thats a pretty sick set up . All I got is a Mexican Fender Strat with a Line 6 SPider III 3 I think and its only 15 watt...shameful. But my dad has 1975 Gibson Les Paul and a strange half stack that will the doors down. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Landara
Jul 22 2008, 09:22 PM
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Jul 22 2008, 03:18 PM) *
Thats a pretty sick set up . All I got is a Mexican Fender Strat with a Line 6 SPider III 3 I think and its only 15 watt...shameful. But my dad has 1975 Gibson Les Paul and a strange half stack that will the doors down. biggrin.gif

If you have some sort of stereo in your room, ask for a Pocket POD for Xmas, and use that! It sounds awesome running through some decent speakers wink.gif

+Quote Post
sigma7
Jul 22 2008, 09:28 PM
Oh man i wanted the pocket pod for so long. Ill definitely ask 4 1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 22 2008, 09:35 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Hey Rob, welcome to GMC, time to blow off them cobwebs mate and get your practicing socks out, you`ve come to the right place to find that next step, all the best

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 22 2008, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Welcome to the greatest site in the whole world

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
sigma7
Jul 22 2008, 09:41 PM
this site is so addicting I go on the computer. Then I leave for a minute to find something else to do. Then I come back and try to learn what the teachers have to offer which is extremely useful for all types of genres.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jul 22 2008, 10:41 PM
welcome to the most awesomest site smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jul 22 2008, 10:47 PM
Instructor
welcome to the site

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 22 2008, 10:59 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
vintageplaya666
Jul 22 2008, 11:41 PM
Welcome To GMC smile.gif

You have great music taste. Metallica!! Megadeth!! Rammstein!!

--------------------

Signature Made By Spleeny

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift "

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 22 2008, 11:45 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Welcome both to you and your antique guitar biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Jul 23 2008, 12:19 AM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC Rob!

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 23 2008, 12:26 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Welcome Rob, I think you will pick up on things nicely! Never too old to get serious with it. GMC will definitely keep your attention!

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Jul 23 2008, 01:46 AM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC!!! wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Canis
Jul 23 2008, 02:18 AM
Learning Rock Star
Welcome ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:22 PM