2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Fusion Improvisation
bahadirpeker
Jun 17 2014, 09:32 AM
GMC:er
Hey GMC! After I've shared my ballad jam video, I decided to share also my fusion jam video smile.gif I wish you will like it as my ballad one. In this video I am using Yamaha rgx a2 guitar, very interesting one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVpK4n3BpiI

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 17 2014, 10:26 AM
Instructor
Hello Baha smile.gif

I enjoy your combination of jazzy-fusion licks spiced up with some melodic conclusions! It is clear that this is the way for you wink.gif

This style is built around the idea of amassing tension and knowing your way around the neck, plus having a good idea about what how to work with the relationship between notes and chords.

Since you clearly stated that this is an improvisation, I will not take into account that there's no thematic direction, so all in all, I will regard this as a very pleasant sonic journey wink.gif

Tell us what have you used to come up with all these tasty phrases, mate? I am sure that a lot of folks here would be interested smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 17 2014, 01:57 PM
Instructor
Hi Baha, I checked your video and while I was watching it, I had some ideas and one of them is directly connected with Cosmin's post. I think that your technique and improvisation abilities are top level. The only thing that sometimes your jams lack are a "song" leit motiv that could make it more memorable.

Let me share the list of thoughts that appeared in my mind while I was listening to your jam. I'm totally honest, each of this phrases appeared in my mind, I will share them to then connect the ideas and see what my unconscious was trying to say.

- Cool, let's see new Baha's jam, he is a very good player

- hehe once again he is playing some amazing phrases over a fusion backing.

- what a dark video, why doesn't he turn on the light there. tongue.gif

- that's a complex progression and everything that he plays sounds good there, he has good knowledge about scales.

- It's a pity that there aren't some catchy melodies there. I would use this stuff and put it together in a song situation with a main melody that is sometimes repeated with some variations.

- Awesome sweep!

- Good technique!

- Turn on the light!! mmm no, it's not only the light the problem, I think that the window behind him is giving a problem to the camera lens, and that's why he is so dark.

- This guy should be more known.

That's all!! I would like to know what you think my thought were trying to say but I think that it's clear. These are the main ideas that I get:

- Start your own professional career. Write songs, start your website/facebook/bandcamp to make your name more known and to distribute your music.

- Make some tutorials based on how is your improvisation approach.

- Improve the quality of your videos.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
bahadirpeker
Jun 17 2014, 07:37 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 17 2014, 09:26 AM) *
Hello Baha smile.gif

I enjoy your combination of jazzy-fusion licks spiced up with some melodic conclusions! It is clear that this is the way for you wink.gif

This style is built around the idea of amassing tension and knowing your way around the neck, plus having a good idea about what how to work with the relationship between notes and chords.

Since you clearly stated that this is an improvisation, I will not take into account that there's no thematic direction, so all in all, I will regard this as a very pleasant sonic journey wink.gif

Tell us what have you used to come up with all these tasty phrases, mate? I am sure that a lot of folks here would be interested smile.gif

Thank you Cosmin for your kind words! I used especially whole tone and dorian with some chromatic approaches and also legato, hybrid and sweep picking techniques are really useful for me to feel this sound not more alternate picking. I like the feel of dream of whole tone scale, I think in classical music, this scale is used more, but I like it in this style also.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 17 2014, 12:57 PM) *
Hi Baha, I checked your video and while I was watching it, I had some ideas and one of them is directly connected with Cosmin's post. I think that your technique and improvisation abilities are top level. The only thing that sometimes your jams lack are a "song" leit motiv that could make it more memorable.

Let me share the list of thoughts that appeared in my mind while I was listening to your jam. I'm totally honest, each of this phrases appeared in my mind, I will share them to then connect the ideas and see what my unconscious was trying to say.

- Cool, let's see new Baha's jam, he is a very good player

- hehe once again he is playing some amazing phrases over a fusion backing.

- what a dark video, why doesn't he turn on the light there. tongue.gif

- that's a complex progression and everything that he plays sounds good there, he has good knowledge about scales.

- It's a pity that there aren't some catchy melodies there. I would use this stuff and put it together in a song situation with a main melody that is sometimes repeated with some variations.

- Awesome sweep!

- Good technique!

- Turn on the light!! mmm no, it's not only the light the problem, I think that the window behind him is giving a problem to the camera lens, and that's why he is so dark.

- This guy should be more known.

That's all!! I would like to know what you think my thought were trying to say but I think that it's clear. These are the main ideas that I get:

- Start your own professional career. Write songs, start your website/facebook/bandcamp to make your name more known and to distribute your music.

- Make some tutorials based on how is your improvisation approach.

- Improve the quality of your videos.

Thank you very much Gabriel for your instructive and kind words firstly! These ideas that belong to you are very important for me so I am so happy to hear these. Yes this is a dark video, I was jamming freely and suddenly I decided to record myself while I am playin then I started the camera and started to record! After I have finished the jamming I watched the video and see that there are camera and sound problems smile.gif but I liked the ideas so I didn't erase it. I know I must study hard to make this music better, so I think I need some time to make it more professional but I want it. I am writing songs, recording sometimes. I know I am in progress and I must tell just now that GMC opened my mind highly.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 18 2014, 08:34 AM
Instructor
Ah, indeed! You pointed out a great thing here: legato/sweep versus alternate picking smile.gif

This is a finesse aspect that you brought into this recording very nicely - using the technique that fits the music style best smile.gif Fusion is a technical style, but it's a refined style and alternate picking is a bit too harsh for the whole feeling, so this brings up a thought directed towards everyone:

How focused are you on using the technique that fits a style best and not the technique you are most familiar with, when the situation calls for it?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 18 2014, 03:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bahadirpeker @ Jun 17 2014, 03:37 PM) *
Thank you very much Gabriel for your instructive and kind words firstly! These ideas that belong to you are very important for me so I am so happy to hear these. Yes this is a dark video, I was jamming freely and suddenly I decided to record myself while I am playin then I started the camera and started to record! After I have finished the jamming I watched the video and see that there are camera and sound problems smile.gif but I liked the ideas so I didn't erase it. I know I must study hard to make this music better, so I think I need some time to make it more professional but I want it. I am writing songs, recording sometimes. I know I am in progress and I must tell just now that GMC opened my mind highly.

This sounds great mate! While I was reading your post I was thinking that you could take the stronger parts of your improvisations as starting points for compositions. Have you ever thought on this?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
Jun 18 2014, 08:31 PM
Instructor
Great technique man! Great ideas! I'll be checking out your other videos, I see you have some interesting ones! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 19 2014, 07:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 18 2014, 02:35 PM) *
This sounds great mate! While I was reading your post I was thinking that you could take the stronger parts of your improvisations as starting points for compositions. Have you ever thought on this?

Great idea here smile.gif I especially like the one at 01:27 - 01:37 - that little repetitive arpeggio could be the starting point for a nice theme biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bahadirpeker
Jun 19 2014, 08:02 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 18 2014, 02:35 PM) *

That's a good idea Gabriel wink.gif But I can't decide what is the strongest part of my improvisation!

QUOTE (Marius Pop @ Jun 18 2014, 07:31 PM) *
Great technique man! Great ideas! I'll be checking out your other videos, I see you have some interesting ones! biggrin.gif

Thank you so much Marius! Have you any idea about my playing that I must pay attention?

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 19 2014, 06:54 AM) *
Great idea here smile.gif I especially like the one at 01:27 - 01:37 - that little repetitive arpeggio could be the starting point for a nice theme biggrin.gif

smile.gif Yes absolutely Gabriel's idea is great but this is the hardest part to choose which part could be the strongest part or could be the starting point as you said Cosmin.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 19 2014, 08:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bahadirpeker @ Jun 19 2014, 07:02 AM) *
That's a good idea Gabriel wink.gif But I can't decide what is the strongest part of my improvisation!

Thank you so much Marius! Have you any idea about my playing that I must pay attention?

smile.gif Yes absolutely Gabriel's idea is great but this is the hardest part to choose which part could be the strongest part or could be the starting point as you said Cosmin.

Baha! To be honest - I'd start where my heart tells me to smile.gif It's music, after all and YOU must be the first and foremost to like it, otherwise you won't be able to transmit a genuine feeling smile.gif So that starting point is: what are your favorite phrases in all the improv?

+Quote Post
bahadirpeker
Jun 19 2014, 09:58 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 19 2014, 07:43 AM) *
Baha! To be honest - I'd start where my heart tells me to smile.gif It's music, after all and YOU must be the first and foremost to like it, otherwise you won't be able to transmit a genuine feeling smile.gif So that starting point is: what are your favorite phrases in all the improv?

That is the answer I like most!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 20 2014, 06:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bahadirpeker @ Jun 19 2014, 08:58 AM) *
That is the answer I like most!

Well then, which one(s) are your favorite(s)? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bahadirpeker
Jun 20 2014, 03:44 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 20 2014, 05:39 AM) *
Well then, which one(s) are your favorite(s)? biggrin.gif

Ah ok smile.gif 0.10 lick is my favourite!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 21 2014, 05:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bahadirpeker @ Jun 20 2014, 02:44 PM) *
Ah ok smile.gif 0.10 lick is my favourite!

Alright! Let's see now - how would you approach developing a more solid line/theme, by using that little lick? I would approach things in the following manner smile.gif Keep the lick and change the harmony behind it so that you would get the same lick cycling over a few different chords - in that way, the lick becomes the pivot and the chords are actually the ones who create the theme biggrin.gif What do you think?

+Quote Post
bahadirpeker
Jun 22 2014, 09:05 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 21 2014, 04:26 PM) *
Alright! Let's see now - how would you approach developing a more solid line/theme, by using that little lick? I would approach things in the following manner smile.gif Keep the lick and change the harmony behind it so that you would get the same lick cycling over a few different chords - in that way, the lick becomes the pivot and the chords are actually the ones who create the theme biggrin.gif What do you think?

lookin at the harmony like mirror wiev biggrin.gif I like the idea Cosmin!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 22 2014, 01:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bahadirpeker @ Jun 22 2014, 08:05 AM) *
lookin at the harmony like mirror wiev biggrin.gif I like the idea Cosmin!

I am glad you like it and I am VERY curious to see what you will develop using this suggestion! You see, music is very alive and dynamic and it's never a set rule that lead lines should be lead lines and chords should be harmony wink.gif

I just felt this would be a nice exploring theme, when I was listening to the lick and this is what came to mind.

Another idea which you could exploit, would be the idea of building a nice bass line over a theme - see minute 03:41 here biggrin.gif One of my favorite fusion songs!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 23 2014, 07:04 AM
Learning Tone Master
Somehow I missed this post ohmy.gif
Great video Baha!!! I always like to see your approaches. Have a different sound than usual wink.gif

+Quote Post
bahadirpeker
Jun 23 2014, 08:45 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 22 2014, 12:45 PM) *
I am glad you like it and I am VERY curious to see what you will develop using this suggestion! You see, music is very alive and dynamic and it's never a set rule that lead lines should be lead lines and chords should be harmony wink.gif

I just felt this would be a nice exploring theme, when I was listening to the lick and this is what came to mind.

Another idea which you could exploit, would be the idea of building a nice bass line over a theme - see minute 03:41 here biggrin.gif One of my favorite fusion songs!

These are really cool ideas Cosmin! I will try to apply wink.gif

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jun 23 2014, 06:04 AM) *
Somehow I missed this post ohmy.gif
Great video Baha!!! I always like to see your approaches. Have a different sound than usual wink.gif

Thank you Monica smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 23 2014, 11:24 AM
Instructor
Awesome Baha! I think that once you will get to implement a more melodic approach to your themes, which will provide the necessary catch for the listener, you will hit the new level of pro playing and writing biggrin.gif Looking forward to bounce feedback on your ideas man! You are a true inspiration to everyone here!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 23 2014, 03:41 PM
Instructor
Great to see Baha's composition evolving! That Kotzen/Howe collaboration is a great example that you could follow Baha. Analyzing a bit the structure could give you a good idea that can be applied to your ideas.

When I analyze classical music I refer to parts with letter: A, B, C. This concept can be applied to instrumental songs that don't have an identifiable "pop song" structure (intro, chorus, verse). In this case I would go for the classical option.

There is a PART A (from 00:00 to 00:39) that has a leit motive which is simple and memorable. Here the concept applied is close to Cosmin's idea. A simple pattern that is moved with the progression.

Then starts the PART B (00:40 to 01:11) where they keep the same progression but create a different melody over it. It's a more fusion style phase that is played twice with the personality of each player. It's really cool to see their takes interact.

These two parts are repeated twice so we have this structure:

A - B - A - B - A - B

PART C (starting at 1:44 to 03:05): This section is a modal idea that include guitar jams by both guitarists.

PART D (starting at 03:05 to 03:41): Here the solos continues but the backing has some rhythm and chord changes, that's why I consider this one as a different part.

Then, the song get back to parts A and B so the final structure is:

A - B - A - B - A - B - C - D - A - B - B' (outro)

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:20 PM