Short Fingers And Big Stretches
rockman
Jun 18 2008, 05:55 PM
GMC:er
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice here. I have smaller hands and I am having trouble with big stretches. Would an Ibanez guitar or some other brand help someone like me? I am trying to learn the EVH solo on Little Dreamer which has a 7 fret stretch hammer ons that I cannot do. Do they make guitars with shorter fretboards?

Thanks,
Rockman sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swingline
Jun 18 2008, 05:58 PM
There are guitars that are 3/4 scale but those are intended for 8 year olds.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 18 2008, 05:58 PM
Instructor
Well not all of us can do extra big streches. They really require a great deal of practice and even them if you have short fingers, you simply cannot do it. I wouldn't recommmend buying a shorter length scale guitar just because of couple of hard streches. Just take your time and check out some guitars with shorter length to see if it makes any easier to play on them. Also check out Nick Kelly's strechminator lesson here on GMC>

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Mark.
Jun 18 2008, 05:59 PM
I've way to long fingers, people always say that they look like spiderlegs blink.gif
So sorry but I can't help you with this sad.gif

+Quote Post
steve25
Jun 18 2008, 06:45 PM
How exactly are you trying to do these stretches? There are certain things in your hand technique that can get your bigger stretches. For example for me i found i was able to do bigger stretches by placing my thumb behind the guitar neck instead of over the top like i was used to doing. Also as you practice stretches you'll be able to make wider stretches over time

+Quote Post
Mark.
Jun 18 2008, 06:55 PM
Well if you wanna do supper big stretches;

- hold ur thumb in the middel of the neck, or even lower.
- sit with your guitar in classical position, so you have it on your left leg instead of your right
- use something to lift up your foot, this way the classical position will sit more easily
- and just stretch them, if you begin doing big stretches they can hurt a bit. If they start hurting stop what you where practicing and give your fingers a break. Once they recovered you can start stretching again. If everything is alright you should be able to stretch further now without less pain. If you keep practicing this kinda stuff for a couple of weeks your fingers will get used to it, and then you wont look to this patterns as stretches anymore smile.gif

Another tip from my own experience is that you shouldn't ONLY practice stretches, if you only practice them and dont do other stuff your fingers can start hurting pretty badly =s

This post has been edited by Mark.: Jun 18 2008, 06:57 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:59 AM