My Gear
Alexiaden93
May 2 2009, 07:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey there, everyone ! I would like to get some advice from you dudes about my gear, mostly the guitar, as I don't have any fancy accessories... smile.gif

In my opinion (which is quite shallow), there are two main kinds of electric guitar bodies : the Stratocaster body and the Les Paul one. This is quite a general approach... I find that the Stratocaster's fretboard tends to be easy to play, even on the high notes (on the high frets), but that the Les Paul has a very fat sound, but is hard to play on the high frets as the body obstructs your hand in a manner of speaking.

My goal is therefore to have 1 Stratocaster-body guitar, and 1 Les Paul-body guitar. I already have the first one.

Stratocaster-body:
- Yamaha Pacifica (around £150 I think), is a very good guitar, despite it's low price. I would like to get an Ibanez or a Fender Stratocaster, but found that the last one wasn't very comfortable to play...

Les Paul-body:
I do not have any other guitars... Therefore I would like your opinion on buying a Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 Supreme Autumnburst (see picture) for somewhere around £2000. It's a very high price, but it's a beautiful guitar, and I really enjoyed playing it, despite the fact that the body obstructs my hand on the high frets. Do you have any experience playing this guitar?

I would appreciate any kind of advice at all. Do you like Les Paul or more of a Stratocaster body? Why? I am open to any irrelevant information, just keep the comments coming ! biggrin.gif

Alexander, 15

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Alexiaden93: May 3 2009, 12:39 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Marc_Maiden
May 2 2009, 08:43 PM
GMC:er
you know i do not believe in just 2 styles of guitars...thats how it was in the early days, but now there is something for everyone, dont limit yourself, go try out many guitars!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 2 2009, 08:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
There are so many shapes in guitar and all have their pros and cons:

Les Pauls: Great tone, incredible sustain but very heavy and difficult to play - wrong!!!!

You can get a Les Paul style guitar from Prs, Ibanez or Esp and they all feel and play diffrent from the Gibson Original! Take the ESP eclipse for example: deeper cutaway makes it as easy as a strat to play, the body is thinner and therefore the guitar is lighter but you sacrifice tone when you get a slimer body...

You can't generalize guitars; if there are only two shapes, in which category belongs the Flying V? or the Explorer? Or the SG? or the Telecaster? Or the Dean ML? you get the picture...

Free your mind and get yourself the guitar you like the most, go to a store and try EVERYTHING! Sure the Les Paul you mentioned is a beauty and I bet it sounds great and plays good, it might be the perfect guitar for you - but it could also be the wrong guitar for your playing, musical taste, etc...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
May 2 2009, 09:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 2 2009, 09:51 PM) *
There are so many shapes in guitar and all have their pros and cons:

Les Pauls: Great tone, incredible sustain but very heavy and difficult to play - wrong!!!!

You can get a Les Paul style guitar from Prs, Ibanez or Esp and they all feel and play diffrent from the Gibson Original! Take the ESP eclipse for example: deeper cutaway makes it as easy as a strat to play, the body is thinner and therefore the guitar is lighter but you sacrifice tone when you get a slimer body...

You can't generalize guitars; if there are only two shapes, in which category belongs the Flying V? or the Explorer? Or the SG? or the Telecaster? Or the Dean ML? you get the picture...

Free your mind and get yourself the guitar you like the most, go to a store and try EVERYTHING! Sure the Les Paul you mentioned is a beauty and I bet it sounds great and plays good, it might be the perfect guitar for you - but it could also be the wrong guitar for your playing, musical taste, etc...

Sorry I think everyone misunderstood my comment... I mean two types: easy to play but bob-bob tone / hard to play and nice tone... I want one of each, and I do know ESP also makes the same kind of guitars, but I would like one Gibson Les Paul... Probably an Ibanez or Fender Stratocaster as well later... I just want your personal experience ! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 2 2009, 09:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
If it's a Les Paul you want to have then try to get a Les Paul Custom, it's by far the best sounding guitar I've ever played!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
May 2 2009, 09:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 2 2009, 10:23 PM) *
If it's a Les Paul you want to have then try to get a Les Paul Custom, it's by far the best sounding guitar I've ever played!

Hmm... I'm not sure my guitar knowledge is sufficient to start personalising my guitar yet... I might get one later in life, but thanks for the advice !

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 2 2009, 10:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
Custom is just the name, cause they are built by hand in the Custom shop^^
It's pretty much a Standard Les Paul with a pickguard and a diffrent Paintjob but the Wood, hardware and built quality is superior...but it's pricey!

http://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_lpcstbk.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_les_paul_custom_aw.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_lp_custom_eb_ch.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_les_paul_custom_sib_ch.htm

One of those is pretty much the best Les Pauls out there

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 3 2009, 12:01 AM
Instructor
I suggest you try out as many guitars as you can to form a more detailed opinion on guitar instruments in general. Even the same brand, like USA Fender Strat are made in various combinations that all provide very different feel. Same goes for any kind of guitar, including LP. I suggest you try out ESP LP type guitars and various other brands, cause perhaps somewhere out there the is a guitar waiting for you to be discovered and change your mind. That LP that you are considering is a great guitar, I'm sure you will be happy with it, but as I say, look some more guitars, cause if the cutaway size really bugs you that much, perhaps there is a better solution somewhere around.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
May 3 2009, 12:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 3 2009, 01:01 AM) *
I suggest you try out as many guitars as you can to form a more detailed opinion on guitar instruments in general. Even the same brand, like USA Fender Strat are made in various combinations that all provide very different feel. Same goes for any kind of guitar, including LP. I suggest you try out ESP LP type guitars and various other brands, cause perhaps somewhere out there the is a guitar waiting for you to be discovered and change your mind. That LP that you are considering is a great guitar, I'm sure you will be happy with it, but as I say, look some more guitars, cause if the cutaway size really bugs you that much, perhaps there is a better solution somewhere around.

Thanks a lot, Ivan and ZakkWylde, your comments were very helpful. I've tried quite a few guitars, and I was very satisfied with an Ibanez SA model, and also some Gibson Les Paul models. I am quite eager to try out some more Fender Stratocasters, as Iron Maiden uses them quite a lot, but I must say I have been sadly disappointed with the feel when playing... I shall pursue my quest of the Stratocaster, though. Please keep commenting ! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:16 PM