Mesa Boogie Mark V, Grail?
Todd Simpson
Oct 21 2014, 02:04 AM
GMC:er
In the search for the Holy Grail of tone, I've tried lots of things. I"m not an "AMP GUY" as anyone here probably knows. Yet, I keep feeling this pull toward the MARK V. To make it worse, here is Mr. Petrucci himself talking about how the mark 5 has all the magic of the Legendary Mark II C+. To make it yet harder to resist, LOOK AT THOSE CABS!!!

If I were to put this kind of money in a bit of kit, it would probably be a used axe fx. After which I certainly hope I still wouldn't be jonesing for the mark V.

The funny thing is that it's my ELEVEN RACK that got me started on this as it's got a KILLER emulation of a MESA MARK IIC+ which has simply the most impressive high gain sound of any processor I've ever touched. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 22 2014, 02:48 PM
Those tiny cabs are so CUTE !!! Babies <3
Todd, could you try comparing an Axe FX and your Eleven rack's Mark IIC+ tones ? smile.gif Somehow, get a chance at it ? smile.gif Would be interesting. Since I've never owned or used anything, I can't really comment, but, I would probably go for an Axe FX first biggrin.gif Then, spare cash goes into buying heads and cabs.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 22 2014, 05:42 PM
I have heard many such comparisons and I actually prefer the ELEVEN RACKs MARK IIC+ tone but that's just me and I"m probably biased as I'm an eleven rack user smile.gif

The amps in the 11 are very detailed and very close to the amps they represent. That's one of the selling points on the unit. Also, the units have come down to $325 brand new!! I'm thinking about getting a second one!! For the price it's unbeatable imho, simply unbeatable. There is simply nothing you could spend that money on to get this much tone. Nothing.

QUOTE (Yash @ Oct 22 2014, 09:48 AM) *
Those tiny cabs are so CUTE !!! Babies <3
Todd, could you try comparing an Axe FX and your Eleven rack's Mark IIC+ tones ? smile.gif Somehow, get a chance at it ? smile.gif Would be interesting. Since I've never owned or used anything, I can't really comment, but, I would probably go for an Axe FX first biggrin.gif Then, spare cash goes into buying heads and cabs.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 22 2014, 06:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've been drooling over the Mark V for quite some time. I'm a tube guy. I understand the processors are maturing to the point you don't need a tube amp to get a tube amp sound, but there's something about standing next to a rig, having those glowing tubes keeping me warm on a cold night - you just can't replace that nostalgia.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 22 2014, 07:26 PM
GMC Founder
I have the Mark V combo version and it's a cool amp with its' switchable wattage and 'variac' - which makes it suitable for gigs and almost for bedroom practicing.

It has three channels with three switches and is often marketed as having 3x3 amp sounds. However I find one usable amp sound per channel. It gives me fender like cleans (clean channel), and the patented mark I fat lead sound (OD channel), and high gain sounds (hi gain channel).

Supposedly it should have the IIC+ type of sound on the hi-gain channel but I am not really a super hi-gain guy and I am not that blown away by this channel for lead sounds (I am not really into the Petrucci sound).

I mostly stick to the Mark I mode on the OD channel with tubescreamer style pedals in front for lead, or rock rhythms. I use the hi-gain channel for metal rhythm.

The amp does not really contain any marshall sounding distortions, although one of the modes on the OD channel is described as such.

In spite of all the different sounds and options of this amp - it does not have midi in/out and the 8-pin mesa footswitch is very simple.

I should say there is a major risk I will sell this amp sooner or later. Because it has been collecting dust since I got the kemper profiler amp.

And although it is a pretty flexible amp, it suffers from the same problem as any other traditional amp - it is heavily colored by its speaker and to get radically different tones you need to own different guitar cabs. And even if you do own different cabs switching between them at the touch of a button is not an easy thing to do with different impedances (etc.)

I got this amp to get as versatile sounds as possible - but in retrospect I would probably have gotten more versatility if I have bought several different but simpler/cheaper tube amps (and thereby also different cabs).

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 22 2014, 09:50 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 22 2014, 10:58 PM
KRIS:

Let us know when you sell it smile.gif I've really been looking for the "Mesa Recording Preamp" which is a rack mounted Mesa that does a fine job of sounding like a IIC+. Also, been looking for a QUAD PRE very similar.

These are very old and sometimes can be had for only 5 or 6 hundred bus on ebay! Where the Mark 5 Head is $2,000 even used!!! If I was going to drop 2k on something it would probably be an Axe FX but I just can't see myself putting that much green in to one item. I really enjoy trying out new gear all the time and I hate buying gear that students can't afford per previous posts.

Thankfully my ELEVEN RACK does a really good job of MESA IIC+ sound so I'll probably be ok smile.gif

I am also thinking about the import version of that SOLDOANO preamp!! smile.gif The sp77, since my 11 rack DOESN"T do an emulation of this piece!!!! But I"m a patient man smile.gif

KRIS DAHL: HAVE YOU SEEN ANY KEMPER PROFILES OF THE SOLDANO SP77 / X88R? (not the SLO100)

He's got some good points but you gotta say the AXE FX in SAMPLE A just sounds KILLER!!!! WAAAAAY better IMHO than the actual amp. Not to mention that the axe fx can be every single one of those amps, instead of just one.

I'm not a fan of spending huge money on amp heads, but I get the idea of buying a nice "preamp" but I'd just that through the fx loop of my ELEVEN RACK and run it in to my power amp and control it with my Midi Foot controller. The behringer foot controller costs about $200 and you can get special eprom just for the 11 rack which works amazingly well. I bought it and it's well worth it smile.gif

I may add a couple of really nice high gain preamps to use in the fx loops of my 11 rack, but if it won't fit in my gator flight case with an extendable handle and casters, I don't want it my world.
Attached Image

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 22 2014, 04:50 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 22 2014, 10:44 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 23 2014, 12:40 AM
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 22 2014, 01:50 PM) *

I have the same gripe with this video as I do with most of his other gear vids.
Massively gained out and probably through one of those API channel strips he's got - everything kinda sounds the same. It's a good tone but the differences are miniscule and easily corrected or matched with an EQ tweak or two.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 23 2014, 12:41 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 23 2014, 07:49 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 22 2014, 11:58 PM) *
KRIS:

Let us know when you sell it smile.gif

Since its my only tube amp I would like to try profiling it before selling, also I would like to try to profile my signal chain (with OD and compressor) since I don't use stomp boxes anymore.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 22 2014, 11:58 PM) *
KRIS DAHL: HAVE YOU SEEN ANY KEMPER PROFILES OF THE SOLDANO SP77 / X88R? (not the SLO100)

I did a quick search and there appears to be 5 free X88R profiles here: http://www.kemper-amps.com/rigexchange

There might also be pay profiles but they aren't listed there.

However there are so many hot rodded marshalls for free on the Rig exchange (which sound like soldanos among many other amps) - so the sound you are looking for is most likely there somewhere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 23 2014, 08:51 PM
I"m having a X88r clone (the high gain channel only actualy ) built from scratch! Hopefully it will be a good bit cheaper than buying a kemper. Hopefully!

Here are 3 x88r patches zipped, can you load them and see what you think?
Attached File  3kemperpatches_x88r.zip ( 8.56K ) Number of downloads: 74

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 23 2014, 02:49 PM) *
Since its my only tube amp I would like to try profiling it before selling, also I would like to try to profile my signal chain (with OD and compressor) since I don't use stomp boxes anymore.

http://www.kemper-amps.com/rigexchange

I did a quick search and there appears to be 5 free X88R profiles here: http://www.kemper-amps.com/rigexchange

There might also be pay profiles but they aren't listed there.

However there are so many hot rodded marshalls for free on the Rig exchange (which sound like soldanos among many other amps) - so the sound you are looking for is most likely there somewhere.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 23 2014, 08:51 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 23 2014, 08:59 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 23 2014, 09:51 PM) *
Here are 3 x88r patches zipped, can you load them and see what you think?
Attached File  3kemperpatches_x88r.zip ( 8.56K ) Number of downloads: 74

Cool - I will try them tomorrow and let you know what I think!

The X88r building project sounds amazing - can't wait to hear how it works out!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 24 2014, 02:17 PM
GMC Founder
My favorite was probably FAS_SOLO_X88R_BOOST.

I tweaked it with a boost and quick EQ : Attached File  TWEAKED_FAS_SOLO_X88R_BOOST.mp3 ( 1.31MB ) Number of downloads: 80

Here is the profile unaltered (but I turned off the delay): Attached File  UNALTERED_FAS_SOLO_X88R_BOOST.mp3 ( 1.2MB ) Number of downloads: 68

I should say I used my ltd guitar with JB pickup.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 24 2014, 08:54 PM
NICE!!! The gain on the lead bits is soooooooo freaking smoooth and cuts through soooo well. No wonder people fight over these these old preamps wink.gif I'm glad that the KEMPER is going to be around to let these amazing tones live on once all the soldano preamps finally just die. You see fewer and fewer of them each year. They are getting old and some just don't make back off the road or whatever. Evidently they are not cheap to fix and Mike Soldano is not cheap by the hour, and is the best guy to do the work.

I hope kemper someday, somehow comes out with something like a plugin that will just let you PLAY these tones, even it it won't let you capture them. Just the playback system would allow great flexibility in recording. I'd even suffer the iLOK to use it smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 24 2014, 09:17 AM) *
My favorite was probably FAS_SOLO_X88R_BOOST.

I tweaked it with a boost and quick EQ : Attached File  TWEAKED_FAS_SOLO_X88R_BOOST.mp3 ( 1.31MB ) Number of downloads: 80

Here is the profile unaltered (but I turned off the delay): Attached File  UNALTERED_FAS_SOLO_X88R_BOOST.mp3 ( 1.2MB ) Number of downloads: 68

I should say I used my ltd guitar with JB pickup.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:53 PM