Am I The Only Gear Snob On Gmc
PosterBoy
Mar 31 2015, 09:41 AM
Learning Roadie
I completely overlook the cheap ranges of guitars and head for the expensive ones. I'm like the anti-Todd.

I'm spoiled with my Tyler Burning Water.

I've started looking into Ibanez RG's and obviously going straight to the Prestige and J Custom ones, and then notice Rick Graham's latest purchase is a Guitar Center special RG.

I guess you can make anything sound good if you've got the chops. I'll keep practicing and buying expensive gear until then!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AdamB
Mar 31 2015, 11:56 AM
GMC:er
Personally I don't believe that more expensive gear equates to better sounding/playing gear.

Much more likely is that the notion has evolved and been nurtured through marketing and brand management on the part of guitar manufacturers with an aim to building strong revenue from sales of guitars and guitar related equipment.

I reckon there's also a lot of idealogical hangover from manufacturing techniques of yester-year. The idea that a good instrument has to come from a gifted luthier comes from a time before modern manufacturing techniques and quality control, when the skill of the craftsman made a much bigger difference in production than it does today. Even on those higher end guitars, a lot of the manufacturing process has been replaced by machines which require less skill to operate effectively, as this is the only way a company like Fender/Gibson/Ibanez could produce guitars in the quantities needed to make it sustainable as a business model.

Personally, I see that as a good thing. I would rather have mechanical precision and consistency in build quality provided by modern techniques over a much more expensive and time consuming hands-on build process. It creates a larger market of high quality, yet affordable guitars.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 31 2015, 12:37 PM
Learning Roadie
I've just put my Burny up for sale to by a Japanese Market Prestige RG2770FZ. I completely blame Todd and Rick Graham, a couple years ago I wouldn't have even considered an Ibanez

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 31 2015, 03:01 PM
I'm not so much a snob as I am a - really - cheap - bastard.
I look for the great deal on great gear and I like a lot of the weird and even conventionally undesirable stuff. Thankfully I live in a city where that's possible.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 31 2015, 03:11 PM
Learning Roadie
What access you have in your city is more than I have in my country, which is possibly another reason for my relunctance to risk the more affordable gear and go for something a little more pricey but with a good reputation.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
AdamB
Mar 31 2015, 03:41 PM
I'm not so much a snob as I am a - really - cheap - bastard.
I look for the great deal on great gear and I like a lot of the weird and even conventionally undesirable stuff. Thankfully I live in a city where that's possible.

Haha, me too. I used to try and get higher end 'genuine fender' and the like but now I'm into getting lower end or more unusual guitars and modifying them. My favourite instrument is a fake/knock-off ibanez jem I bought second hand for 200->300 pounds. It's an absolutely horrible instrument (for example I had to dremel out the bridge cavity as whoever built it fitted a bridge that was just a touch too big for the guitar and it was rubbing on the body), it's built really shoddily, but I just click with it and love it to death.

I also think buying cheaper gear makes you less afraid of doing the modding/adapting, and I think that may be an important component of finding your own voice in the cluttered guitar music world.

I was looking at this earlier;
http://theguitarchannel.biz/2013/02/launch...nstrat-project/

Eddie's guitar is a monstrosity of bodged-ness, but there's something kinda awesome about how crap it is.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 31 2015, 10:03 PM
GMC Founder
I think there are quite some misconceptions about what an expensive guitar can do for you.

One thing is for sure though, you can get a great sounding guitar on a tight budget. My Les Paul junior is the biggest and fattest sounding guitar I have ever played, and it was almost epiphone priced. Some say it's the lack of weight relief that contributes to this (the more expensive Les Pauls have cavities in the body)

I don't know if it's easy to find an instrument with great playability for cheap, because I haven't yet. However if you find a cheap instrument that sounds good you can have a luthier fix playability at the fraction of the cost of those high end guitar brands.

Another aspect to consider, is why you want to get a new guitar, is it because you are hoping to find that perfect dream axe which you'll never want to put down? If so then maybe all you need is 1-2 expensive guitars.

I want versatility in my instruments, because it inspires me to play and compose different things. I don't want to be playing the same things over and over, so I try to optimise the tools I use for versatility. In fact, when I have been playing my main axes (probably my strat and parker) for too long, I feel start sounding to predictable. I end up playing the same flashy licks over and over because it's so easy.

Then all I have to do is pick up my Les Paul Junior, and those flashy licks are gone, guaranteed! cool.gif

Cheap guitars? Yes anytime! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Mar 31 2015, 10:26 PM
Gear snob? Ha been there done that. (Gibson LP/Explorer, EBMM JPX/Axis, Schecter Loomis-7, Ibanez RGD2127z, PRS CE24)

All those guitars have the same thing in common with me. They aren't in my room, they ended up getting traded towards each other. Then put into a Mesa Triple Rect! MAN!! A TRIPLE RECT WOOO! Yeah it's gone also it bought my Kemper and I haven't looked back. Well other than I started to miss having a real tube amp. That's when I stumbled into SixStringSamurai's demo video of a Mesa Mark 5:25, saved some cash up and that's what I'm plugged into right now!

My Ibanez S770pb has been with me since 2011, that's a long time for me. I hated the sound of it but loved the way it played. Modded it up with some BKP BlackHawks. Now it's my daily driver and beat out ever high end guitar I owned. Up next I have an RG470XL, It's a good guitar but I may look to trading it in for a ESP EC-1000 as I do enjoy the LP shape, also with Kris, it makes you want to play something different.

Right now I'm waiting on my RG920QM to get back from the luthier, been well over a month maybe 2. It went in for a setup and new pickups (Gravity Storm/Evolution). Didn't like the electrical in it at all, tossed in a new tone and a push/pull volume on a 3-way toggle. I had him sand the neck down to match the holy grail Ibanez neck the RG550. While he did that he was looking at the frets and said some of them weren't set right. Pulled them out, next thing I hear is I have all new frets also.

I would rather buy a slightly cheaper guitar that I like the look and feel and just toss all new gear in it. Yeah it's costs money but it's more of a custom job now. Sure beats a name brand high-end guitar to me.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 1 2015, 10:05 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
When I was starting to play, I didn't have luck to get a quality instrument. This was pretty disastrous for me in my early days as the guitar didn't sound good and worst of all - it was just badly built instrument with buzzing, bad action (yes very high even though guitar buzzes in the first half of the fretboard) and all the issues one could find. This guitar was putting me down and making playing non enjoyable. Thankfully, I had contact with some guitar friends where I'd play on their guitars and it was "wow what a difference" feeling every time and those friend's guitars were just entry/mid class ones like Yamaha Pacifica.

This experience has always led me to think that one needs a good instrument from the very start, unlike the most common - get a crappy guitar, practice and then buy a better one as you get better. How can you get better if the guitar you need to spend so much time is not feeling or sounding inspiring?

So I think that if one can afford a high end guitar - why not. There are only benefits in that approach with the cost being the only downside.

I currently play one instrument which I consider high end - American Fender Jazz bass deluxe which I don't plan to replace soon. Is it better than my mid class Peavey Cirrus Bxp bass which costs almost 3 times less, yes it is in a way. Is it 3 times better - NO, not by a mile. My thinking was always - I'll buy one as high end instrument I feel good with and I'll stick to it. Downside? No versatility really and you might get bored with tone over the years.

What I always found with instruments though is that price can't really tell you much about how the instrument will sound and feel in your hands. When searching for my personal "holy grail" I tried instruments in extremes of price range and certainly more expensive instruments didn't sound right or better just because they had a higher price tag. I really feel it is a bit of lottery every time you want to get a new instrument. This is why I never considered luther guitars as I'd be stuck with they make while in store I can just try out tons of guitars until I find the ONE wub.gif

This being said, I think that good sounding instrument can be found in any price range - you "just" need to know what to look for and to be able to recognize it. This can be really hard though and requires lots of trial and error as well as experience playing/trying out different guitars.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 6 2015, 02:22 AM
Well somebody has to be the ANTI ME! smile.gif

The PRESTIGE guitars are sadly no longer really "prestige" if they are made outside of Japan IMHO. Indo and Korean guitars are not quality bits compared to the older MIJ and Jcustom stuff imho. But I"ve played indo/korean ibbys that I'd own if the price was right smile.gif

That guitar RICK GRAHAM is using is an MIJ RG560 (I also have an MIJ RG560 from the same era). They are amazing guitars. They are pretty old now and they don't make em like they used to. They just crush most anything made by Ibanez outside of Japan and the custom shop. That's why folks still hunt them down smile.gif

I do consider myself a bit of a "gear snob" in that I don't like CRAP gear. Also, I don't like CRAP guitars. I've played wads of so called "snob guitars" that were very pricey, but were obviously crap. So for me it's not about the price tag being high, but about the gear being good. I always try to make every penny of gear money stretch so I try not to blow it on pricey bits if possible smile.gif Pricey gear can be a huge waste of money if your not careful. sad.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 31 2015, 04:41 AM) *
I completely overlook the cheap ranges of guitars and head for the expensive ones. I'm like the anti-Todd.

I'm spoiled with my Tyler Burning Water.

I've started looking into Ibanez RG's and obviously going straight to the Prestige and J Custom ones, and then notice Rick Graham's latest purchase is a Guitar Center special RG.

I guess you can make anything sound good if you've got the chops. I'll keep practicing and buying expensive gear until then!

Now your talking!! smile.gif That's actually a real "Prestige" Always wanted one myself smile.gif You are gonna love it I"m guessing.

http://info.shimamura.co.jp/guitar/e-guitar/eg-ibanez/75175/

Attached Image

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 31 2015, 07:37 AM) *
I've just put my Burny up for sale to by a Japanese Market Prestige RG2770FZ. I completely blame Todd and Rick Graham, a couple years ago I wouldn't have even considered an Ibanez

GOOD CALL!! smile.gif I actually had my luthier reprofile my Dean Razorback to match my rg560 and it really saved the guitar from the scrap heap!! The neck that comes stock on those is just IMHO terrible, but sand it down and bam!! Also, sanding off the gloss made it feel heaps better. Let us know how it goes!!

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Mar 31 2015, 05:26 PM) *
.. I had him sand the neck down to match the holy grail Ibanez neck the RG550. While he did that he was looking at the frets and said some of them weren't set right. Pulled them out, next thing I hear is I have all new frets also.

I would rather buy a slightly cheaper guitar that I like the look and feel and just toss all new gear in it. Yeah it's costs money but it's more of a custom job now. Sure beats a name brand high-end guitar to me.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 6 2015, 02:24 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:34 AM