Best Strings Gauge For Dropped D
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2013, 03:12 AM
Instructor
Hello guys! I'm having some jams and working on songs with two friends (a drummer and a bass player) and we are creating tunes around modern metal and metalcore. I'm using dropped D tuning and I'm not feeling comfortable with standard 010 d'adario strings. I'm playing strongly and my current strings gauge doesn't support it. My tuning and tone isn't stable. I was planning to try some of these:

http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric...om-nickel-wound

Any other suggestion?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
dcz702
Jun 10 2013, 03:29 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
i bought nothing but ernie ball since i started playing cause thats what a friend suggested, theve been great....but i picked up some daddario string cuz they came on sale for 6us. for pack of three and i like them better they seem brighter. and on one of my fenders i keep in drop D i put on some cleartones heavy bottom, same gauge you posted on the ernie balls, i like the cleartones i changed a while ago and they are still like when i strung it about 2 months ago, but i also have not been playing alot of drop d.
heres a link
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Cleartone-Elec...767-i1507097.gc

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2013, 03:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 9 2013, 11:29 PM) *
i bought nothing but ernie ball since i started playing cause thats what a friend suggested, theve been great....but i picked up some daddario string cuz they came on sale for 6us. for pack of three and i like them better they seem brighter. and on one of my fenders i keep in drop D i put on some cleartones heavy bottom, same gauge you posted on the ernie balls, i like the cleartones i changed a while ago and they are still like when i strung it about 2 months ago, but i also have not been playing alot of drop d.
heres a link
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Cleartone-Elec...767-i1507097.gc

Thanks mate, I didn't know the Cleartone strings, I will check them.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 10 2013, 09:23 AM
GMC:er
Hey Gab. I use to use 11s on my guitars - I think I used those because years ago I heard SRV used real thick strings, like 13s and I wanted to emulate him if possible. Anyway, I finally moved to 10s and when I did I took my guitars to be set up perfectly for them. I had 1 guitar set up for everything tuned down 1/2 step and then drop D and and another guitar was standard tuning, and I wanted the intonation set for 10 strings.

Anyway - I'm not sure if much was done to the guitars, but maybe you need to have your intonation set up perfectly to support 10 strings and drop D. That may help.

I use to use Elixir's all the time, but like DCZ changed to Boomers because of a sale price on a multi-pack, and haven't looked back - the Boomer's do seem brighter.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 10 2013, 09:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 10 2013, 02:12 AM) *
Hello guys! I'm having some jams and working on songs with two friends (a drummer and a bass player) and we are creating tunes around modern metal and metalcore. I'm using dropped D tuning and I'm not feeling comfortable with standard 010 d'adario strings. I'm playing strongly and my current strings gauge doesn't support it. My tuning and tone isn't stable. I was planning to try some of these:

http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric...om-nickel-wound

Any other suggestion?

Gabee, I tried this gauge in Standard D as well and they were just fine on my PRS - the Elixir ones, tho!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 10 2013, 10:27 AM
Instructor
I always go for 11's in D. I was wondering...those are my old bad expiriences but with dropped tuning always felt that Ernie balls were more stiff comparing to the D'addario with the same gauge...

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jun 10 2013, 04:21 PM
I use the EB gauge you posted for drop D and it's fine (24.75” scale).

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 10 2013, 04:50 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I use the Ernie Ball beefy slinky 54-11 gauge...I went as low as drop C on my Ibanez with these and they worked well!

http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric...ky-nickel-wound

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2013, 08:26 PM
Instructor
Thanks for the comments guys! I'll try with the ones that I shared and then I'll tell you how it feels.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Jun 12 2013, 10:07 PM
I used to use 10-52 ernie ball's for drop D tuning, worked out pretty well!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:02 PM