Setting Action On A Guitar
ragefist
Mar 14 2008, 06:27 AM
GMC:er
I think I'm gonna try to set the action on my squier jagmaster a little lower. What's the procedure for this? it just has a normal strat style bridge. do I just lower it as low as I can without getting any fret buzz? any info is appreciated. thanks guys wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 14 2008, 11:48 AM
Instructor
It's a trial&error process. Don't expect to do it in one day, you need time for a neck to settle between adjustments.

The main thing here is go in very very small increments. First set the action low by a very little. Then check the fret buzz ,then do it again until the fret buzz becomes audible. Then get it up a little. All the time leave the guitar for a while for wood in the neck to settle. In the end if you hear the frets buzzing, the guitar is not properly balanced, and may be needing some fretwork.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Mar 14 2008, 01:23 PM
Instructor
I agree with Ivan, it's trial and error smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ragefist
Mar 15 2008, 08:24 AM
thanks guys yeah I messed with it a little bit and freaked out at first because it messed with my tuning and thught I was adjusting intonation but I figured it out. This is the first time I've messed with the setup on my guitar so yeah trial and error is the only way I guess. My A string was buzzing on the 1st fret even though I didn't even have it set low at all but hey I guess thats what you get with a squier.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 15 2008, 09:47 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I've been in the same situation a week ago... I got the action even higher then before, and still it was buzzing sad.gif .

Now it's still not very good, but it's not realy anoying or anything so I'm probably gonna keep it like this or keep tweeking little bits. Also watch out with the high E string, mine broke during action settings.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Mar 15 2008, 06:02 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 15 2008, 09:47 AM) *
I've been in the same situation a week ago... I got the action even higher then before, and still it was buzzing sad.gif .

Now it's still not very good, but it's not realy anoying or anything so I'm probably gonna keep it like this or keep tweeking little bits. Also watch out with the high E string, mine broke during action settings.

Truss rod adjustment.....Be careful not to over tighten it...in extreme circumstances it can break ...you would have to really crank on it though. Dont be afraid to make small adjustments. There is nothing magical about it. What I do is place my finger on the first fret (left hand) and my finger on the 14th fret (right hand). This will provide you with a straight line (the string) across the frets. Check the distance between the frets and the string. I perfer it a little bowed (very slightly) in the middle of the neck (about a fingernails thickness). Let it settle for a few minutes.
now adjust string height. i usually try to get it as low as i can with very little buzz. You will not hear a small amount of buzz when plugged in. I walk up the frets checking for buzz. raise it if its to bad. Truss rod adjustments can make a big difference in where and when you get a buzz.
Intonation can be set using a tuner. Make sure the tuning is spot on an open string and at the 12th fret (an octave up). If they are not the same adjust the bridge saddle to make them the same.
recheck adjustments and buzz.....rock out.

This post has been edited by USAMAN: Mar 15 2008, 06:04 PM

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:57 PM