My Questions
Rated Htr
Mar 27 2009, 12:48 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Hi Zsolt, was waiting for this moment to show my appreciation for your style and overall taste in music tongue.gif

I was wondering what's your string gauge?
Also how does the harmonization in Wisdom works?
How did you guys get such awesome videoclips?

=)

Cheers
Filipe

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 27 2009, 10:06 AM
GMC:er
I also would like to know your string gauge, if you don`t mind smile.gif
And how much you used to practise when you wasn`t in Wisdom yet?
And what idea was behind creating Wisdom band?smile.gif

Thanks for your wonderful lessons, they are very inspirational and useful!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Mar 27 2009, 11:46 AM

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 27 2009, 11:36 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 27 2009, 09:06 AM) *
And do you teach students in besides GMC? ( I mean in real life)

If you noticed his wonderful modal madness lessons, he said, and I quote "I teach this to 98% (I believe it was that laugh.gif ) of my students..."

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 27 2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah i knew, and Zsolt answered already that he used to teach students so i`ll remove that question:)

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Mar 27 2009, 12:11 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Mar 27 2009, 12:48 AM) *
Hi Zsolt, was waiting for this moment to show my appreciation for your style and overall taste in music tongue.gif

I was wondering what's your string gauge?
Also how does the harmonization in Wisdom works?
How did you guys get such awesome videoclips?

=)

Cheers
Filipe

Hi there, Filipe!

When we started Wisdom back in 2001, we were tuned to Eb, and I used a string gauge 0.10/0.11 hybrid. Later on as we progressed to our single after the first album, we started to tune down to D. Because our other guitarist Gabor, used 0.10s, and he stardet to record the songs first with my guitar, he changed the strings on my guitar to 0.10s, with my permission of course:)
From that on I use 0,10s. I pretty much tried all the brands, but Dean Markley worked best. My attack on gigs is really hard, so I used to break 1 or 2 strings/gig. Now that I use Dean Markley, strings lasts much longer.
I really have to talk with my band members about posting the harmonization in Wisdom, and I'll try to get back to this matter as soon as I can smile.gif
The motto in Wisdom is to be professional in every single thing. Half of the money we've got from gigs we spend on things like new vids etc. We always do our best to work with professionals and we always monitor every single thing. Basicly the vids you see are the product of professionals and our effort.

Cheers
-Zsolt

QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 27 2009, 10:06 AM) *
I also would like to know your string gauge, if you don`t mind smile.gif
And how much you used to practise when you wasn`t in Wisdom yet?
And what idea was behind creating Wisdom band?smile.gif

Thank you, Alex!

The matter of strings are discussed above:) if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask 'em!
When I first got my electric guitar (i used to practice on an acoustic before, for about 3 years), I started to practice really hard. But since I lived a small village, there was no one to help me with practicing or theory, no internet, only the records, I developed some unhealty techniques. I even had to quit guitar playing for a while. Later on, when I was asked to join Wisdom, I started to work with a metronome. So the really useful practice sessions started around 2001. Dependig on my time, I practice 2-3 hours a day.

The basic idea was to form the most professional band possible in Hungary. We wanted to record songs that are in the style of some bands that we liked, still like and to make some good gigs. We've never even dreamed to reach this far...playing as an opening band for Iron Maiden and Judas Priest or Europe are already beyond our dreams... at the moment we are trying to break down even those barriers.

Cheers

QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Mar 27 2009, 11:36 AM) *
If you noticed his wonderful modal madness lessons, he said, and I quote "I teach this to 98% (I believe it was that laugh.gif ) of my students..."

Yes but that was before joining GMC and some other bands... smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 27 2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for such detailed answers, Zsolt! Thats very kind! smile.gif

And i checked Wisdom band tours, and I must say you and your band have outstanding progress! First tours i even didn`t know any of those bands (who the hell are AB\CD? biggrin.gif ), but in last few years you played with so famous bands! Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden ohmy.gif That`s really great, Wisdom will be even more popular for sure !:)
Hope in year or two get abroad to visit one of your bands gigs smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 27 2009, 01:10 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Thanks for the details Zsolt, so kind of you to answer in such a detailed way smile.gif

If I may ask than, How did you practise using the metronome?

Your style rules, wisdom is everything I wanted in my band...Strong compositions, with harmonizations, instead of a keyboard, you have another guitar, it rules smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Mar 27 2009, 01:29 PM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 27 2009, 12:32 PM) *
Thanks for such detailed answers, Zsolt! Thats very kind! smile.gif

And i checked Wisdom band tours, and I must say you and your band have outstanding progress! First tours i even didn`t know any of those bands (who the hell are AB\CD? biggrin.gif ), but in last few years you played with so famous bands! Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden ohmy.gif That`s really great, Wisdom will be even more popular for sure !:)
Hope in year or two get abroad to visit one of your bands gigs smile.gif

Hungary is filled with tribute bands, a famous band has at least 3-4 tribute, AB/CD is of course a tribute band to AC/DC. I myself play in one, it's a Pantera tribute, Crew From Hell.
It would be really nice to see you on one of our gigs!

QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Mar 27 2009, 01:10 PM) *
Thanks for the details Zsolt, so kind of you to answer in such a detailed way smile.gif

If I may ask than, How did you practise using the metronome?

Your style rules, wisdom is everything I wanted in my band...Strong compositions, with harmonizations, instead of a keyboard, you have another guitar, it rules smile.gif

It happened in a studio, when I realised that my timing was pretty incorrect tongue.gif . At that time one of my really good friends bought me a huge metronome for my birthday, the one they use to practice with a piano. It's pretty loud, ha ha biggrin.gif . I first started out with one string excercizes, around 100bpm. I played a single note over a single count, it was the first 3 notes of the Emin scale. Then I practiced the second and the third position as well, and then I combined them to have my first scale on 1 string.
This kind of practice can become VERY boring, but it was my first step. I still have some timing problems, but with practice comes perfection they say.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 27 2009, 05:21 PM
QUOTE (Zsolt Galambos @ Mar 27 2009, 02:29 PM) *
I still have some timing problems..

No way!! huh.gif Well than from right now i make sure that i don`t omit a single day with metronome training! smile.gif

And one more question - you mentioned that you used to break a string or two on gig, when it happens, what should you do? You need to have second guitar on stage and take that immediately, or play without a string? It`s always interested me:)

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Mar 27 2009, 06:19 PM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 27 2009, 05:21 PM) *
No way!! huh.gif Well than from right now i make sure that i don`t omit a single day with metronome training! smile.gif

And one more question - you mentioned that you used to break a string or two on gig, when it happens, what should you do? You need to have second guitar on stage and take that immediately, or play without a string? It`s always interested me:)

That's an interesting question! smile.gif
You should always have a second guitar ready. It happened to me on a gig that I broke 2 strings on a two different guitars he he biggrin.gif What can you do? Nothing, you go down stage and fix your strings hehe smile.gif
If you have a guitar with a tremolo, it is always a pain in the ... when you break strings, because the guitar will be out of tune. If you don't have a tremolo, it is much easyer, as the guitar stays in tune. Fortunately, I haven't broke a string on a gig for a few years now, but I always have another guitar ready with me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 29 2009, 10:08 AM
Hello, Zsolt! smile.gif
I wanted to know what tuning you like the most on guitar? I saw you mostly use downtunings, but which one suits you best? One step down? rolleyes.gif

And you mentioned in your instructor`s video that you love blues, may I know which bands or songs you love to listen to?
Blues is always great but i just don`t know many of the really great blues bands, too much of them, just no time to listen to everyone, so would be great to know your favorites happy.gif

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Mar 30 2009, 12:51 PM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 29 2009, 10:08 AM) *
Hello, Zsolt! smile.gif
I wanted to know what tuning you like the most on guitar? I saw you mostly use downtunings, but which one suits you best? One step down? rolleyes.gif

And you mentioned in your instructor`s video that you love blues, may I know which bands or songs you love to listen to?
Blues is always great but i just don`t know many of the really great blues bands, too much of them, just no time to listen to everyone, so would be great to know your favorites happy.gif

Hi Alex!

One step down works best for me. You can really sound heavyer this way, and the phrasing becomes easyer. The strings are more loose, and I can produce the vibratos I always wanted to make.

Basically I love the bluesy approach to a solo. Guitarists like Slash, Zakk Wylde, Dimebag Darrel are playing blues but with a heavyer, more "metal" approach. But if I'd have to mention a blues band, it would be "Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble" and Gary Moore smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 30 2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks a lot, Zsolt! I didn`t heard about Double Trouble, and wasn`t very familiar with Dimebag music, so i`ll go search for their stuff.
And your vibratos really sounds ultra powerful and agressive, adds a lot expression i think! And it`s hard to get them on E and B strings, because of upside movement, but it`s a matter of practise i guess smile.gif

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Mar 30 2009, 04:09 PM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 30 2009, 12:59 PM) *
Thanks a lot, Zsolt! I didn`t heard about Double Trouble, and wasn`t very familiar with Dimebag music, so i`ll go search for their stuff.
And your vibratos really sounds ultra powerful and agressive, adds a lot expression i think! And it`s hard to get them on E and B strings, because of upside movement, but it`s a matter of practise i guess smile.gif

Thanks man! Everything is a matter of practice. When you are done with it, the feeling comes naturally. And yes, it is more difficult when you are tuned to E, but nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was one of the most famous blues players, and Dimebag was the guitarist of Pantera.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 1 2009, 07:46 AM
Hi again, Zsolt rolleyes.gif

This time i wanted to ask about theory - i think theory learning is boring(not always) for most guitarists, but it`s very essential part so you can`t just skip it if you want to become great.
You said you was completely self taught in your bio, so i wonder how you study theory? Any advices for learning? Is it better to learn every day something new or better fasten new material for some time, and only when it`s completely familiar move further?

Best wishes,
Alex

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Apr 1 2009, 12:56 PM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Apr 1 2009, 07:46 AM) *
Hi again, Zsolt rolleyes.gif

This time i wanted to ask about theory - i think theory learning is boring(not always) for most guitarists, but it`s very essential part so you can`t just skip it if you want to become great.
You said you was completely self taught in your bio, so i wonder how you study theory? Any advices for learning? Is it better to learn every day something new or better fasten new material for some time, and only when it`s completely familiar move further?

Best wishes,
Alex

Hi Alex!

You are right about the theory smile.gif. Learnig theory can become really boring. In my expirience the best way to learn it is if you combine it with a lots of excercizes. I'm into theory just as much as I really need it. This means that I learn something new in theory only if I need it to progress further.
There are however people who are more interested in how things work in music. My band's other guitar player for example is a guy that likes theory over practicing smile.gif That however doesn't mean that he can't shred, tho biggrin.gif
So it's really a preson and an interest dependant thing. You should find what works best for you if you experiment with it.

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 1 2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks a lot Zsolt! I aprecciate your feedback smile.gif
And funny part that i combine theory with a lot of exercises too smile.gif that is not so boring + you remember that new thing.
And i definitely don`t prefer theory over practicing smile.gif well if you do it like this it will work for me too!

Oh, almost forgot - do you plan any solo albums soon?! I didn`t bought Wisdom albums yet, but when i will be out of my debt, i`ll sure buy those, and i think you able to compose fantastic solo album!

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Apr 1 2009, 02:45 PM

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Apr 1 2009, 03:19 PM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Apr 1 2009, 02:44 PM) *
Thanks a lot Zsolt! I aprecciate your feedback smile.gif
And funny part that i combine theory with a lot of exercises too smile.gif that is not so boring + you remember that new thing.
And i definitely don`t prefer theory over practicing smile.gif well if you do it like this it will work for me too!

Oh, almost forgot - do you plan any solo albums soon?! I didn`t bought Wisdom albums yet, but when i will be out of my debt, i`ll sure buy those, and i think you able to compose fantastic solo album!

Nice to hear that, thank you smile.gif!
I'm planing to do a solo record, but I won't start untill next year, as I'm pretty busy right now. I'm in a studio with a RnR band, Chat Noir, and we will soon head the studio with Wisdom as well to record a new album. I will definitely let you know if my solo record comes out smile.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:09 PM