Gmc Contests, Simple contests for members
Layzer
Jul 19 2007, 01:50 PM
GMC:er
This idea needs some working on but let's hear what you all think.

I think it would be neat if maybe once in a while the GMC community could have a contest in which members of the site could record over a single (30-60sec) backing track provided by GMC. I really have not thought out how it would work but if enough members possess decent recording software, they could upload their creations and have a week or so long vote on which one every one likes.

Like i said, I have no clue if this would be too time consuming for Kris or if GMC'ers would partake and record something. The more i think about this idea the more i doubt it would work, due to people new to recording software. But hey, let's see what people think.....Maybe the instructors could have a competition in which the members would vote! cool.gif

Also, the contest obviously could be over something other than recording but i have not wrapped my head around any other ways... blink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Unity
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Hemlok
Jul 19 2007, 01:53 PM
While this is a good idea, the problem is everyone is at a different level of playing. I have trouble thinking how this would work.

Possibly taking the whole ' contest ' idea out of it, and have a thread with a theme. Create a 60 second metal solo, or create a blues riff and solo. etc. something where people are all doing something different, not having the same backing track, or a backing track at all. Just recording in the theme the tread suggests, and then get comments on where they can improve, or just comments on how people liked the recording. Rather than make a competition as you can't make a 20 year playing guitarist compete with a 20 day playing guitarist.

But even that being said, I don't think it would work.

- Hemlok

Lets just have a fishing contest! tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Jul 19 2007, 01:59 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Layzer
Jul 19 2007, 01:55 PM
yeah there are SO many variables going into this working ohmy.gif

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 19 2007, 01:58 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Layzer @ Jul 19 2007, 02:50 PM) *
This idea needs some working on but let's hear what you all think.

I think it would be neat if maybe once in a while the GMC community could have a contest in which members of the site could record over a single (30-60sec) backing track provided by GMC. I really have not thought out how it would work but if enough members possess decent recording software, they could upload their creations and have a week or so long vote on which one every one likes.

Like i said, I have no clue if this would be too time consuming for Kris or if GMC'ers would partake and record something. The more i think about this idea the more i doubt it would work, due to people new to recording software. But hey, let's see what people think.....Maybe the instructors could have a competition in which the members would vote! cool.gif

Also, the contest obviously could be over something other than recording but i have not wrapped my head around any other ways... blink.gif

I just love to listen to GMC'ers compositions but sorry, I don't like the idea of a competition and voting. That would surely disappoint at least a few of our fellow buds, and I wouldn't want that. Entering is by own choise of course but still...

But the idea is good from one aspect, GMC provides a backing track, ppl record and post and maybe we coule be constructive on posting on what ppl should work on improving? So like you say, we record and post and during one week we take suggestions and work on improvements and when the week or two weeks are over we close the "lesson" (don't want it to become a never ending story)

So with a few adjustments I think it's doable. But I'm not saying I'm right, maybe you guys want a cometition? It was just my 2c of a moral aspect to it laugh.gif

EDIT: Hemlok, I swear, I didn't look at your post before writing mine laugh.gif

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jul 19 2007, 02:56 PM

+Quote Post
Layzer
Jul 19 2007, 02:00 PM
After some thought i think this would be a great idea about a year from now when GMC is huge and has more members cool.gif

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Jul 19 2007, 02:27 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
How about each member that wants to, and instructor takes a solo over a certain backing track?

Maybe a 16bar solo for each person that wants it?

-Ben

This post has been edited by benhowell: Jul 19 2007, 02:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Layzer
Jul 19 2007, 02:34 PM
QUOTE (benhowell @ Jul 19 2007, 08:27 AM) *
How about each member that wants to, and instructor takes a solo over a certain backing track?

Maybe a 16bar solo for each person that wants it?

-Ben

That'd be cool

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Jul 19 2007, 02:36 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
It would be great, we'd probably end up with a 20 minute track! (which is fine by me!).

Whether its viable or not-im not sure how many have access to recording/importing BT etc- but its a cool idea.

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jul 19 2007, 03:40 PM
Instructor
I love the idea!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 19 2007, 05:16 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
At times like this, i wish i recording software that was working sad.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 19 2007, 05:26 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 19 2007, 08:16 AM) *
At times like this, i wish i recording software that was working sad.gif

Same here. As much as I like the idea, I think the lack of competition on this site is what makes it so good.
There are no winners or losers here and when you get to the core of it ,Isnt that what Gmc is all about ? Id hate to upset fellow members aswell.

-John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Layzer
Jul 19 2007, 07:09 PM
You can say that lack of competition is makes this site less competitive...not better....

Friendly competition is not only going to make members more active, but it will turn on potential new members to the idea of a community which not only Competes peacefully and with respect for a common goal and in that everyone can be happy for the victor. cool.gif

The forum rules won't go anywhere (keeping competition\language clean & friendly) and people like myself would get a lot of constructive critiques to help us on our way to guitardom

I for one am a competitive person and i am sure a lot of GMC'ers are as well...But i always compete w\ respect and try to learn from others better than i am.

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 19 2007, 07:21 PM
QUOTE (Layzer @ Jul 19 2007, 10:09 AM) *
You can say that lack of competition is makes this site less competitive...not better....

Friendly competition is not only going to make members more active, but it will turn on potential new members to the idea of a community which not only Competes peacefully and with respect for a common goal and in that everyone can be happy for the victor. cool.gif

The forum rules won't go anywhere (keeping competition\language clean & friendly) and people like myself would get a lot of constructive critiques to help us on our way to guitardom

I for one am a competitive person and i am sure a lot of GMC'ers are as well...But i always compete w\ respect and try to learn from others better than i am.

Well thats true. But imagine this fictional situation . Your a guitarist just starting and you watch as others compete showing off their skills. Thats going to make your feel worse about the postion your in. Yes its going to drive you to get better,but it will also make you relize how far back you are in the crowd. I am a competitive person, but I think there is a time and a place for competition. The place very-well one day might be Gmc, but not yet, the time is not now.

Give it some time and keep that idea in your mind, Im not in no way going against the idea! Im just saying its not the right time.

- John

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 19 2007, 09:23 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jul 19 2007, 01:21 PM) *
Well thats true. But imagine this fictional situation . Your a guitarist just starting and you watch as others compete showing off their skills. Thats going to make your feel worse about the postion your in. Yes its going to drive you to get better,but it will also make you relize how far back you are in the crowd. I am a competitive person, but I think there is a time and a place for competition. The place very-well one day might be Gmc, but not yet, the time is not now.

Give it some time and keep that idea in your mind, Im not in no way going against the idea! Im just saying its not the right time.
- John

Well anytime is good. No matter if its 10 years from now. There will always be beginners. There will always be winners, and losers. And there will always ahha sorry, but there will always be them little emo-kids sitting in the back with there guitar thinking there great playing powerchords, but then get mad when they hear a real guitarist who actually spent time on not just powerchords!! Times change, but society, and life does not. So theres not a difference in doing it now, or later on. It might even help GMC with a competition here. Held once a month. Might bring more people here!! As long as the winners. Dont go over bragging, and shoving it into peoples faces. There shouldnt be any emo-kids!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Jul 19 2007, 09:33 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
I can see Johns point-Music should not be a competition IMHO. That was the 80's biggrin.gif

A little bit of pressure is good if it drives us to be better, but musicality is what were after, and brandishing the word 'competition' may well put people off.

How about just an analysis on each others playing, and some tips for everyone, thus everyone benefits.

Just an idea.

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 19 2007, 09:36 PM
QUOTE (benhowell @ Jul 19 2007, 03:33 PM) *
I can see Johns point-Music should not be a competition IMHO. That was the 80's biggrin.gif

A little bit of pressure is good if it drives us to be better, but musicality is what were after, and brandishing the word 'competition' may well put people off.

How about just an analysis on each others playing, and some tips for everyone, thus everyone benefits.

Just an idea.

-Ben

The upload board!!

Everybody who strays away from competition and wants somethign that everybody can benefit from. Well we already have that. If you dont use it now. Then why will they use it when its a differnet name, but the same thing?

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 19 2007, 09:37 PM
Instructor
The idea is just as good as it is bad. But i will let GMC decide about it! All explanations are written in the posts above so i won't state them again! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Jul 19 2007, 09:39 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Agreed, but i dont think theres much incentive to do that as a group, only individually.

If we hold this as an 'event' i think it will draw a bigger crowd than just the upload board.

If we brandish it a competition, i think people will get carried away by speed and lose the plot maybe... blink.gif

-Ben

This post has been edited by benhowell: Jul 19 2007, 09:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 19 2007, 09:40 PM
Exactly ben, that is why we have the upload board. Lol if we want some competition I guess Ill go upstairs and get out the hairspray, I give love a bad name wub.gif
-John

edit: It depends how you put this action into words, Constructive Criticism, YES! Competition,NO!

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Jul 19 2007, 09:42 PM

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Jul 19 2007, 09:46 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jul 19 2007, 09:40 PM) *
Lol if we want some competition I guess Ill go upstairs and get out the hairspray, I give love a bad name wub.gif
-John

edit: It depends how you put this action into words, Constructive Criticism, YES! Competition,NO!

Agreed on both accounts laugh.gif

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:46 PM