Neighbours And Loud Noises
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2011, 10:36 AM
Instructor
I've been living 'neighbor free' for about 4 years now and I must say it feels great!

I can bang the guitar as loud as I want in the studio with an open window even and no one will say anything nasty, moreover, over the street there are nice people coming in the balconies to listen while I rehearse stuff (not with the metronome though) tongue.gif

We all rehearse with earphones but at some point you just want some LOUD guitar, especially if you want to hear the characteristics of your tone at loud volumes smile.gif

How do you fare with the neighbor problem?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Chris Evans
Jul 28 2011, 10:47 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
my biggest problem is my daughter! laugh.gif

If I play without headphones she comes in with her hands over her ears telling me its too loud! (she is only 4!) personally I think there is some encouragement from my wife for her to do this laugh.gif
I very rarely get the chance at home to play without headphones, if theres anything I want to try out then I bring my amp and guitar to work and blast it out in the warehouse smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 28 2011, 10:54 AM
Instructor
I don't play too loud at home, although I'm pretty sure the neighbors can hear me. They don't mind I guess.. smile.gif

On the rehearsals we go into studio, it's important for the dynamics. Practicing with headphones is convenient, but not always. I used to do it before and it was OK as far as being able to do rehearsals without paying for the studio, but cables get in the way, and there is little headroom and reverberation available in order to create the feel of a live sound.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 28 2011, 11:09 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I play fairly loud at home without any problems. I live in an apartment building and I'm sure I'm heard all around (especially since I play bass) but no one minds. I also have a loud pinball machine with a shaker motor that shakes violently the whole thing. Maybe it's because my neighbors are loud themselves too.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 28 2011, 11:24 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Jul 28 2011, 09:47 AM) *
my biggest problem is my daughter! laugh.gif

If I play without headphones she comes in with her hands over her ears telling me its too loud! (she is only 4!) personally I think there is some encouragement from my wife for her to do this laugh.gif
I very rarely get the chance at home to play without headphones, if theres anything I want to try out then I bring my amp and guitar to work and blast it out in the warehouse smile.gif

I am in a similar situation as you mate. Got a 3 month old son and always play through headphones.I dont mind it really, espically since I'm only just getting back into playing, I prolly dont sound fantastic.

I know what ur sayin thoug Cosmin...sometimes u wanna play loud and really hear that tone drive! smile.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 28 2011, 11:38 AM
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jul 28 2011, 11:24 AM) *
I am in a similar situation as you mate. Got a 3 month old son and always play through headphones.

yea its a shame, almost every Sunday morning we (me and my daughter) used to have a great time and she used to love it when I was playing, just looked at the date, this was 2 years ago now!! ohmy.gif

I`ll have to update this and take a video of her response now to when I play laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Chris Evans: Jul 28 2011, 11:41 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 28 2011, 01:04 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey that was pretty cute. she loved it, dancin around and all....nice

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2011, 04:29 PM
Instructor
I used to have a mother and daughter neighbors right underneath my old apartment and when they got into a fight...Lord have mercy!! biggrin.gif I just turned my old Marshall combo speaker phones to the ground and jammed the axe hard - I just wanted a little silence so that I could focus on my practicing tongue.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 28 2011, 06:01 PM
Learning Roadie
I don't think neighbors are my problem - it's my family. (Don't mean to say my family is a problem at all.) I can jam pretty loud when nobody is home. I haven't had any trouble. Though I don't have a huge amp to create that huge sound to blast through the atmosphere. I don't want to blast my parents. However, I live in an added-on part of the house. I have a brick wall separating me from the rest of the house. biggrin.gif It helps.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2011, 06:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jul 28 2011, 05:01 PM) *
I don't think neighbors are my problem - it's my family. (Don't mean to say my family is a problem at all.) I can jam pretty loud when nobody is home. I haven't had any trouble. Though I don't have a huge amp to create that huge sound to blast through the atmosphere. I don't want to blast my parents. However, I live in an added-on part of the house. I have a brick wall separating me from the rest of the house. biggrin.gif It helps.

Those drop A riffs can be a nuisance for normal folks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 28 2011, 10:38 PM
Instructor
I've never had problems with noise and neighbors.My building has 20 apartments, in seven of them live musicians. Do I have something more to say? smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2011, 10:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jul 28 2011, 09:38 PM) *
I've never had problems with noise and neighbors.My building has 20 apartments, in seven of them live musicians. Do I have something more to say? smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Wow biggrin.gif it's like a musician building biggrin.gif how cool is that??

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 28 2011, 10:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 28 2011, 11:43 PM) *
Wow biggrin.gif it's like a musician building biggrin.gif how cool is that??

Let's see: violin, accordion, 3 guitars, piano, and singer! And it is particularly interesting - we never played together! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 29 2011, 11:57 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 28 2011, 10:54 AM) *
I don't play too loud at home, although I'm pretty sure the neighbors can hear me. They don't mind I guess.. smile.gif

On the rehearsals we go into studio, it's important for the dynamics. Practicing with headphones is convenient, but not always. I used to do it before and it was OK as far as being able to do rehearsals without paying for the studio, but cables get in the way, and there is little headroom and reverberation available in order to create the feel of a live sound.

+1.

If you continually play at high volumes you should use ear protection.

It's also possibly worth adding that with mixing and particularly mastering that you do not need to do them at high volumes. More often than not it's better to do both at quite low levels and, if you're unsure, check the results at a higher volume later.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jul 29 2011, 12:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
I'm still waiting for Ben to comment on the topic title.. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 29 2011, 12:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Jul 28 2011, 11:38 AM) *
yea its a shame, almost every Sunday morning we (me and my daughter) used to have a great time and she used to love it when I was playing, just looked at the date, this was 2 years ago now!! ohmy.gif

I`ll have to update this and take a video of her response now to when I play laugh.gif

Bless.. she's brilliant.. loved the recorder solo !! (Is it a recorder?) biggrin.gif

QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Jul 29 2011, 12:26 PM) *
I'm still waiting for Ben to comment on the topic title.. ph34r.gif

You've mentioned it so I don't have to biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 29 2011, 01:19 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 29 2011, 12:50 PM) *
(Is it a recorder?) biggrin.gif

yes its a recorder, I cant think when or how but that thing got lost somewhere ..... rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 29 2011, 01:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Jul 28 2011, 12:38 PM) *

Hey I remember this video! Is it two years already?? ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 28 2011, 05:29 PM) *
I used to have a mother and daughter neighbors right underneath my old apartment and when they got into a fight...Lord have mercy!! biggrin.gif I just turned my old Marshall combo speaker phones to the ground and jammed the axe hard - I just wanted a little silence so that I could focus on my practicing tongue.gif

Now that's a sure way to create silence biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jul 28 2011, 11:38 PM) *

We have one sax played, plays jazz. I consider you lucky Sinisa, that must be one happy building smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 29 2011, 02:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Jul 29 2011, 01:19 PM) *
yes its a recorder, I cant think when or how but that thing got lost somewhere ..... rolleyes.gif

I never write the phrase 'LOL' but I really did burst out laughing at that ! Thank you for giving me the laugh smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 29 2011, 04:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Jul 28 2011, 05:38 AM) *

Is that the same girl as in your BOX video for David Walliman? smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:35 PM