Let's Talk About Picks!
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 24 2017, 02:12 PM
Instructor
I've used different picks along the years and the one that I've found more balanced for everything that I play is Dunlop 1.5m. It feels good to me and I can alternate from riffing, soft rhythm to blues and shredding really naturally.

A cool vid about the topic:

I'm curious about what you are using and why.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Apr 24 2017, 02:12 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 24 2017, 02:22 PM
GMC:er
You know I usually don't care for signature gear.

But after trying these 1.5m Jazz III, Its all that I use nowadays.

Funny fact, for some reason I've always found easier to play with Black Jazz III rather than Red Jazz III unsure.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
Apr 25 2017, 12:18 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 24 2017, 01:12 PM) *
I've used different picks along the years and the one that I've found more balanced for everything that I play is Dunlop 1.5m. It feels good to me and I can alternate from riffing, soft rhythm to blues and shredding really naturally.

I'm curious about what you are using and why.

I've been using Dunlop Gator 0.71 and 0.60 for many years (20+!). Recently got IntuneGP custom 0.60 picks... then escalated my picksphere to Gravity and V-picks. So right now I'm testing a bunch different thickness and shapes, and does make a difference both in playing and sound.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 25 2017, 03:56 PM
Red Jazz III XL

The 'reds' are a little softer than the blacks. It's the dye in the nylon.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 26 2017, 07:50 AM
GMC Founder
I have become a sucker for Mr Vonhotch's aluminium picks, especially the one called "flying dutchman".

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 26 2017, 10:02 AM
I carry a petrucci pick in my wallet, wish I could find more dunlop prime picks where I live.

Whenever I have some extra change, I buy a pick. Most I'm not using now but having a variety helps specially with clean to low-gain tones. Just yesterday I bought a d'addario black ice 1.10.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 26 2017, 10:03 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Apr 26 2017, 12:09 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Because of Marcus Siepen, I've purchased a pick made of stone years ago, and stayed with my "stone love". They have good tone, and if you don't drop them on the floor they won't break or wear off. Unfortunatelly when you do drop them on the floor they can break and you need to find a new pick, after using the same pick for a year or even few years. This can be difficult:( But each time I broke my pick and experimented with the various V-picks / aluminium picks and other, nothing compared to the stone pick, not to mention the fact that everything wear off quick (if it wears off it wears off much quicker than the stone pick, which doesn't wear off at all..tongue.gif ).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 26 2017, 03:20 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Dava picks for me. They are very grippy so they don't slide in my fingers. And you can adjust the gauge by repositioning them in your hand.

https://www.davapick.com/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 26 2017, 10:38 PM
Instructor
Interesting to see how much diversity we have here. However Jazz III is wining now... I honestly haven't used this picks. Do you find any advantage on using them? I wonder why many shredders like Guthrie and Petrucci use this type of picks...

My choice comes from my early Malmsteen admiration... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 26 2017, 11:20 AM) *
Dava picks for me. They are very grippy so they don't slide in my fingers. And you can adjust the gauge by repositioning them in your hand.

https://www.davapick.com/

Interesting! I have a new student at Gab's Army that will find these like a good option...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 26 2017, 11:27 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 26 2017, 09:38 PM) *
Interesting to see how much diversity we have here. However Jazz III is wining now... I honestly haven't used this picks. Do you find any advantage on using them? I wonder why many shredders like Guthrie and Petrucci use this type of picks...

Their balance is really good for soloing, glides nice but you still feel the string enough. The red ones (nylon) offer a bit more tone control while being a bit less shreddy, Bonamasa and Eric johnson uses them. They're ok for powerchords but to me not so good for banging chords.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 26 2017, 11:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 26 2017, 10:38 PM) *

Interesting! I have a new student at Gab's Army that will find these like a good option...

One word " Superglue " , okay that might be 2 . I have a vast array of picks , I have drilled, sanded , glued picks together , and currently I am dotting my picks with med (thickness ) superglue . It's sort of a cross / square pattern . I put glue in as big a dot as I can without it running , and then most importantly , I let it dry . Since the dot is thick the outside curs quicker , and when the inside cures , it sort off bubbles out causing a jagged dot , as opposed to a smooth one . This grips my finger better. since the dots tends to be very noticeable to my finger , I have found I can focus in at my pick finger and I believe this helped my picking . I have found that the brand of pick no longer matters , as long as it is between 1.5 and 2 mm , has my obnoxious dots and I am good to go

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Apr 26 2017, 11:59 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 27 2017, 12:32 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 26 2017, 10:38 PM) *

I have used jazz III for a long time. They are really precise: because of their size you have to hold them in a way which makes you in total control of the super pointy edge.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 27 2017, 01:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 26 2017, 07:27 PM) *
Their balance is really good for soloing, glides nice but you still feel the string enough. The red ones (nylon) offer a bit more tone control while being a bit less shreddy, Bonamasa and Eric johnson uses them. They're ok for powerchords but to me not so good for banging chords.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 27 2017, 08:32 AM) *
I have used jazz III for a long time. They are really precise: because of their size you have to hold them in a way which makes you in total control of the super pointy edge.

I'll buy some and see how I feel. I've used dunlop sharp tortex in the past which where good for shredding but felt weird for other stuff.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 27 2017, 01:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I use the Dunlop Ultex 1.38mm Jazz III XL (what a mouthful). I like the Jazz III shape, but with the small ones I was always rubbing my fingertips on the strings, I always felt cramped. The XL is the same shape but just a bit bigger, I find it to be the best of both worlds and the Ultex is very long wearing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 27 2017, 02:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Apr 27 2017, 09:57 AM) *
I use the Dunlop Ultex 1.38mm Jazz III XL (what a mouthful). I like the Jazz III shape, but with the small ones I was always rubbing my fingertips on the strings, I always felt cramped. The XL is the same shape but just a bit bigger, I find it to be the best of both worlds and the Ultex is very long wearing.

That sounds good.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:03 PM