10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Who Inspired You?, To play guitar BETTER!
tha_max
Jun 19 2007, 10:08 PM
GMC:er
It all started with the offspring, I started loving music then and Just had to play their music. Then it was AC/DC for a good 7 months. By then I had gotten sick of playing because I had no discipline. THen I heard the song master of puppets by metallica, that made me play 2-3 hours a day wich lead me to my current neoclassical fetish of malmsteen and the more brutal metal like grave and Children of Bodom. I love and respect metallica with all my heart and say what you want about Kirk hammett, I know he's not a genius or anything but he sounds so.. perfect smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Jun 19 2007, 10:18 PM
For me, the shortlist would have to be (in no particular order)

1) Alex Lifeson
2) Randy Rhoads
3) Ritchie Blackmore
4) Joe Satriani
5) John Frusciante
6) Tom Morello

There's probably more, but those guys would be my primary inspirations.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 19 2007, 11:25 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Here is a bit more compiled list of what inspires me.

1) Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, Janick Gers Of Iron Maiden
2) Steve Vai
3) Any Good music and/or guitarist or musician
4) Good Movies
5) Good Books
6) People
7) Life and all its Experiences that come with it

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 20 2007, 01:13 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 19 2007, 06:25 PM) *
Here is a bit more compiled list of what inspires me.

1) Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, Janick Gers Of Iron Maiden
2) Steve Vai
3) Any Good music and/or guitarist or musician
4) Good Movies
5) Good Books
6) People
7) Life and all its Experiences that come with it

Off topic but ... another cool sig Uncreator - you are keeping me entertained if nobody else smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 20 2007, 01:30 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I try to keep things fresh and new, Thanks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
The JEM
Jun 21 2007, 09:53 PM
steve vai

--------------------
my gear :
gibson sg standard ebony finish
roland 30 cube amp
boss ds-1 ultra mod pedal
crybaby 535(i think)
very hard dunlop picks
ernie ball super light strings (the pink package)
and some short skinny fingers attached to my hand

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 21 2007, 10:01 PM
Lets go fishing!
U2's the Edge inspired me to pick up guitar and learn.

More recent guitarists who inspire me to be better are;

Paul Gilbert
Buckethead
Steve Vai
GMC Instructors! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 22 2007, 11:58 AM
Before I started playing it was no guitarist in particular, just good songs inspired me, like a lot of Ulver, Isis, Opeth, At the Gates, etc.

Now my biggest inspirations are:

Mikael Åkerfeldt
Peter Lindgren
Slash
Blakkheim
Dan Swanö (more as an allround musician than as a guitarist though)
etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Jun 23 2007, 05:00 AM
Kristopher Dahl biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Xranthoius: Jun 23 2007, 05:01 AM

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jun 24 2007, 09:41 PM
hmmm.....

-Jim Erickson
-the guitarist from STYX
-Hendrix
-John Mayer
-Pat Martino
-Every pop-punk, alternative, indie, etc. band that I listen to and love but whose guitarists totally suck. I've always wanted to start a sort of pop-ish band that actually has good guitar in it (alongside good vocals and songwriting).

This post has been edited by Pantalaimon: Jun 24 2007, 09:44 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 24 2007, 09:57 PM
Instructor
Kirk Hammet was my first influence - he's not any more!!!

Than come Steve Vai (the biggest one), Satch, Michael Angelo, Rusty Cooley, Luca Turilli and the newest one is Enric Garcia from Dark Moor.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jun 24 2007, 10:37 PM
IMO kirk hammet is a sloppy player. hetfeilds riffing drives metallica along but, god they let kirk solo too much.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jun 25 2007, 12:27 AM
Was Hendrix for me, when i seen a dvd of him playing at woodstock. And he is still my favourite.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 25 2007, 01:00 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jun 24 2007, 07:27 PM) *
Was Hendrix for me, when i seen a dvd of him playing at woodstock. And he is still my favourite.

Gilmour ... and now Steve Vai

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Chooch
Jun 25 2007, 07:05 AM
Kirk Hammett originally inspired me...but, John Petrucci is probably my biggest influence.

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 25 2007, 07:13 AM
Learning Roadie
So, my previous post stands, but I don't get all the kirk hammett hate! It's not just here, it just seems to me that no one likes kirk. Then again, a lot of people think metallica sold out and won't listen to them anymore (I think that's ridiculous).

So, why the hate on kirk? I think he's amazing. So what if he's sloppy?

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 25 2007, 07:51 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Jun 25 2007, 12:13 AM) *
So, my previous post stands, but I don't get all the kirk hammett hate! It's not just here, it just seems to me that no one likes kirk. Then again, a lot of people think metallica sold out and won't listen to them anymore (I think that's ridiculous).

So, why the hate on kirk? I think he's amazing. So what if he's sloppy?

i dont hate kirk hammett, instead i think he is my biggest influence, although Slash is here too, i dont play that much GNR, but Slash is always in me, i think that your 1st influence stays always with you,

but Kirk hammet is my biggest influence.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 25 2007, 08:28 AM
So question, Kirk is a sloppy player, but by what means?? His speed, muting, or timing?? What makes him a sloppy player??

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 25 2007, 09:13 AM
Instructor
Sloppy player means he's not playing clean and he could use more practice! That's generally that!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Despa
Jun 25 2007, 10:50 AM
the reason I started playing the guitar was because I was really interested in it, so there was, at first, no real influence, that made me playing, but later, when I saw my friends playing together I got a huge boost and I wanted it more than ever. I didn't know a lot of the great guys like Yngwie or Petrucci at that time, but I think, if I had known them it would have also been my friends, because I saw it live and it just impressed me a lot!
well, today there's another guitarplayer that I really like and I think some of you may laugh at me but it's Jack White. I think he's a great guitarplayer, he creates catchy riffs and uses many styles which makes him a versatile player, so he has a huge influence at me at the moment!

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:13 AM