Andy Larocque Style?, Any ideas on how to learn his style?
Wilska
Oct 8 2008, 07:46 PM
GMC:er
Hello,

i'm a huge fan of Andy LaRocques style of playing. His solos are so unique to me, different and always perfectly fitting to the song. I wonder if anyone has any tips on how he comes up with his melodies, any directions you can point me to?
Would be great if any instructor familiar with his work would do a "in the style of.." lesson, but I think Andy is pretty hard to capture compared to other "guitar heroes".

For those of you who never have heard of him, he's most known for his guitarwork for King Diamond. He's also helped out bands like At the gates and Death with their riffs and solos on some albums.

Check him out if you wanna hear some unusual metal solos.

Keep up the great community here at GMC!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 10 2008, 12:16 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I'm not really familiar with his work (but I'll check him out now smile.gif ) , but here are some tips how to get a style down..Learn as much songs from the particular artist as you can , look up on internet what equipment he uses and based on that information try to dial in a similar sound on your own equipment...Learning songs will give you a great insight into his composing, you will start noticing patterns (that may be some licks , similar progressions , strumming anything really) that make his style and he uses is more often.It takes a lot analyzing to figure out ones style..I don't know if its worth the effort.So I would suggest learning lot of songs and than incorporating things you liked in them into your playing to define your own style..Your style will be a compilation of your own ideas and things that influenced you..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 10 2008, 12:17 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Oct 10 2008, 12:40 AM
Instructor
You could ask Liam smile.gif
He's pretty much into that kind of guitar playing.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 10 2008, 09:08 AM
King Diamond are awesome. Just learn some King Diamond songs and solos and analyse his playing. Into The Convent smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Vasilis
Oct 10 2008, 11:45 AM
Hey man Im a huge fan of king diamond and especially the style of Andy. His solos include much harmony and melodic runs especially in aeolian and harmonic minor. It kinda reminds me a combination of Randy Rhoads with Lynch of Dokken. Since you seem to know him and understand his playing I suggest you try and do what the other guys told you.try and learn his solos and try to analyze them.I believe you should start (if you haven't already) with the solo from sleepless nights, famiily ghost, dressed in white or if want something easier try the intro from House of God
Cheers wink.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 10 2008, 11:49 AM
My favourite song is 1777 on the 7th Day of July.

He likes to play clean arpeggios a lot also and many intro solos. He uses the whammy bar a lot also.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Wilska
Oct 11 2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the tips, yeah I have learned many many of King Diamond songs, atleast the rhythm guitars! I don't really want to sound like Andy but I would like to incorparate(?) some stuff from him into my own playing.
I'm working on learning some of the solos by ear but i'm having a hard time. Guess I just need to try harder!

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46

+Quote Post
Schumi Jr
Feb 23 2009, 11:47 PM
As my first post to the GMC forums (other than my "hello" welcome post), I'll resurrect this thread to say that I would LOVE for one of the GMC instructors to do a "Andy LaRocque Style" lesson - or if I'm going to be greedy, a multi-part lesson!!

Listening to his solos is one thing, but having an instructor show optimal ways for actually playing a solo in that style, and showing how to link his melodic runs, arpeggios, and bends altogether - would be immensely valuable for us huge LaRocque fans! Add in a couple of useful backing tracks at multiple tempos, and I'll be a GMC subscriber for life! wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:28 AM