Giving Back My Dslr, Just not for my workflow.
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2012, 01:36 AM
GMC:er
I know many of our DSLR FREAKS will be aghast, but I"m giving back my T3i DSLR. It's an

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING HIGH QUALITY CAMERA

But it doesn't fit in to my (as in only me, not anyone else) workflow. Here is where it fell down for me.

1.)No Remote Control for zooming while shooting video chat.
-Small gripe I know, and yes there are work arounds to buy with more money.

2.)No Real Time HD Video Out!
-Yes I know about the HDMI out but it's got bits of info on it as it's not meant for that.
-Yes I know about flashing the rom and such. Meh.
-Yes I know about capturing the HDMI with separate capture card.

3.)Doesn't Come with Power Supply!
-Unit only ships with one battery.
-Yes I know you can buy a power plug after market, but like the zoom mount, you can go crazy spending wads of money aftermarket. Double Meh.

So instead I"m getting one of these. It's a MASSIVE MASSIVE DOWNGRADE IN TERMS OF IMAGE QUALITY but it's still full HD resolution 1920x1080 and!!!!!

1.)REMOTE CONTROL! (Zoom, pan, tilt, etc. Running over to the tripod during lessons is Meh.)

2.)REAL TIME VIDEO OUT! (Over simple USB plug and chat apps can see it)

3.)REAL TIME VIDEO CAPTURE (Again via usb and quicktime so I can synch audio to video in ONE STEP!)

4.)COSTS $250 US!. Wow!

I had been using a SONY HD HANDY CAM via FIREWIRE. But only NON HD works well via firewire as HDV introduces lag. Meh. Next!

So before anyone gets in a tizzy about how much "Better" the DSLR is, I thought I'd admit that YES DSLR IS BETTER! In very many important ways. BUt that for me and my workflow, I didn't like it. It really comes down to that. So again my dislike of the word "BEST" in common use shows up yet again. It's a failing of language. There is no "BEST" anything I"m convinced.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 14 2012, 01:41 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jul 14 2012, 01:42 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Congratulations Todd. Indeed it looks very nice. DSLRs are not really for live shooting or self shooting and it takes way too much space. Damn I don't even take photos these days. All of my Hard Disks are full. sad.gif I am using iPhone nowadays. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2012, 03:05 AM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jul 13 2012, 08:42 PM) *
Congratulations Todd. Indeed it looks very nice. DSLRs are not really for live shooting or self shooting and it takes way too much space. Damn I don't even take photos these days. All of my Hard Disks are full. sad.gif I am using iPhone nowadays. smile.gif

Well said smile.gif I got all hyped up as everyone was talking about the DSLR revolution and it's really a revolution! It's taking over TELEVISION and FILM and much of Youtube! But your right. DSLRs are not really for live shooting/self shooting. I just had to find out the hard way!

Todd

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 16 2012, 03:20 PM
Learning Roadie
ohmy.gif NOOOOOO! tongue.gif

I love my T3i, but I know what you mean. It's hard to shoot yourself... laugh.gif ... like on a photo and video shoot. You gotta have someone else with you. But I love camera for photography too. I use it all the time now for photography. Whatever floats your boat. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 16 2012, 03:45 PM
Instructor
I know next to nothing about cameras but all I definitely sympathise with you here, Todd. When you buy stuff you want it to satisfy all the functions you want of it and if it doesn't then it's always going to chip away at you.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 18 2012, 05:14 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 16 2012, 10:45 AM) *
I know next to nothing about cameras but all I definitely sympathise with you here, Todd. When you buy stuff you want it to satisfy all the functions you want of it and if it doesn't then it's always going to chip away at you.

Such is life eh? smile.gif It's a great camera, DSLR cams are amazing. Just not ideal for what I"m trying to shoot.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 18 2012, 07:43 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This little cam looks amazing! smile.gif
Its very cool that its motorized so you can easily remote control it - perfect for online video broadcasting!

I love my new DSLR cam but its definitely not ideal for this kind of thing (online broadcasting) and its a bit complicated to use for self shooting.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jul 18 2012, 07:55 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Looks great! Do you happen to know if it works with iMovie?

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jul 18 2012, 10:38 PM
Experienced Rock Star
After doing some research, I think I can answer my own question: it appears that only the built-in camera can be used to record directly into iMovie. The problem is: the built-in camera on my iMac can't be positioned to point at my guitar, so that's not very useful for recording Rec videos to upload to GMC.

Any tips on how best to do this with iMovie? I suppose I could record video with Quicktime, then transfer that video to iMovie. Would the Logitech Conference Cam work to record into Quicktime? Or is there another camera you'd recommend for that purpose?

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 19 2012, 12:23 AM
Instructor
I'm sorry to hear that Todd, but you know the best what you need. And no discussion about wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 20 2012, 12:17 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jul 18 2012, 02:43 PM) *
This little cam looks amazing! smile.gif
Its very cool that its motorized so you can easily remote control it - perfect for online video broadcasting!

I love my new DSLR cam but its definitely not ideal for this kind of thing (online broadcasting) and its a bit complicated to use for self shooting.

BINGO! For webcasting/youtube/etc. this little cam seems perfect! Can't wait to get one wink.gif Yeah the DSLR is great but not really designed for self shooting.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jul 18 2012, 05:38 PM) *
After doing some research, I think I can answer my own question: it appears that only the built-in camera can be used to record directly into iMovie. The problem is: the built-in camera on my iMac can't be positioned to point at my guitar, so that's not very useful for recording Rec videos to upload to GMC.

Any tips on how best to do this with iMovie? I suppose I could record video with Quicktime, then transfer that video to iMovie. Would the Logitech Conference Cam work to record into Quicktime? Or is there another camera you'd recommend for that purpose?

I know that it will record to quicktime. Any camera the system can see can record to quicktime and you can use different audio! For example I use a Sony Handycam for video (recorded to quicktime) and my usb audio interface for audio (also via quicktime) it puts them together and in perfect synch. Handy!

As for imovie, I'm not sure about recording real time, but yeah you could use quicktime and just import it smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:17 AM