How To Install?
TreyDeschamp
Dec 1 2009, 03:16 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
So I was looking at getting the Alexi Laiho signature humbucker but I noticed it has the booster button...So what would I have to do to install it? Drill a hole? what?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 1 2009, 01:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Dec 1 2009, 03:16 AM) *
So I was looking at getting the Alexi Laiho signature humbucker but I noticed it has the booster button...So what would I have to do to install it? Drill a hole? what?

You have to drill a hole or replace a knob or switch to fit the booster button. Or you could just ignore the booster and don't install it!
It's just a db-boost that makes the guitar a bit louder and therefore it distorts more.

Don't go for Alexi's humbucker just because you like the guitar player. It is basicly a EMG Hz with Laiho's name on it and we all know that EMG passive pickups aren't the best. Alexis tone comes from his fingers and his expensive equipment. I would go for an active EMG 81 or Seymour Duncan Blackout (which Alexi uses too). They will give you a far better sound than the EMG Alexi!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 1 2009, 02:24 PM
GMC:er
You could do it two ways.
1) Replace your existing Tone Control with the booster Pot or
2) Drill a new hole and add the Booster into the Signal Chain. (If you decided to go this way then it's recommended to use an Active Tone control so you'd have to replace your original Tone Pot too.)

Next, although this is a passive Pickup you will still need a 9v Battery to supply power to the Pre-amp circuit. If there's room in your Control Cavity for it then it's good, if not you'll have to Rout a small compartment for one. (If you take Zakk's advice and go for an Active Pickup instead you'll have to do this anyway as any Active set-up will need a Power Supply too.) smile.gif
The Pre-amp itself has a 3 switch system that gives you 8 different settings for the resonant frequency at the input stage of the pre-amp as well as a Trim Pot for setting the Gain Level.

The actual wiring is pretty straight forward as it's all done with plug Connectors.
smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Dec 1 2009, 02:27 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Dec 1 2009, 06:47 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I don't know this pickup, but if it really is a passive EMG HZ Humbucker, then I would also recommend going for an EMG 81 instead.I only tried the passive EMG's once and didn't like them at all, but this is a matter of taste of course.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Dec 2 2009, 01:44 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Dec 1 2009, 06:29 AM) *
You have to drill a hole or replace a knob or switch to fit the booster button. Or you could just ignore the booster and don't install it!
It's just a db-boost that makes the guitar a bit louder and therefore it distorts more.

Don't go for Alexi's humbucker just because you like the guitar player. It is basicly a EMG Hz with Laiho's name on it and we all know that EMG passive pickups aren't the best. Alexis tone comes from his fingers and his expensive equipment. I would go for an active EMG 81 or Seymour Duncan Blackout (which Alexi uses too). They will give you a far better sound than the EMG Alexi!

I thought about the blackout, is it better?

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 2 2009, 01:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Dec 2 2009, 01:44 AM) *
I thought about the blackout, is it better?

Definitely!

It's always personal preferance but in case of the passive EMGs they are just not good compared to other passive pickups (dull tone, weird dynamics...)
The Seymour Duncan Blackout is active, but much more organic than an active EMG. The active EMGs however are tighter and heavier than the Blackouts...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:17 AM