2 Pages V   1 2 >  
From Metal To Techno
Todd Simpson
Feb 15 2013, 05:25 AM
GMC:er
Here is a track I'm working on for a soundtrack I"m involved in. It's a bit more TECHNO/HOUSE than my usual stuff so it's been fun to stretch a bit smile.gif What do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/soundtrack-work-inspiration

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 15 2013, 09:58 AM
Instructor
Very nice man - the guitars sound 'radio friendly' but present enough biggrin.gif What's this project all about, if I may ask? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 15 2013, 10:07 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Sounds awesome to me! smile.gif
Very cool effects work which fits well the mood of the track.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
zoom
Feb 15 2013, 10:11 AM
Learning Roadie
My first thoughts - Tears for fears or Duran Duran (wild boys) 80's revamp. Which is not a bad thing at all because I really like them both.
So I like. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 16 2013, 02:10 AM
Thanks smile.gif Those guitars are actually midi samples, ( no real instruments on this particular track) but I did want them to sound somewhat guitarish smile.gif so I'm glad it seems to be working. The song is for a project called INSPIRATION NOW which is a Book being written by a buddy of mine named John Mahoney who is an L.A. based character designer/sculport. He worked at Disney films for a while designing bad guys for animation titles. Then went freelance and this is his first book smile.gif He's doing some videos to promote it and I"m doing the music. I"ll be working with him on this for several months so more to follow! Here is the link to books facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/MahoneyInspirationNow

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 15 2013, 03:58 AM) *
Very nice man - the guitars sound 'radio friendly' but present enough biggrin.gif What's this project all about, if I may ask? smile.gif

BINGO!!!!!! Good ear smile.gif That's precisely what I was going for. The project is a book from a pal of mine and his sculpture work has a sort of Geiger/Alien quality which gives off an 80's sci fi vibe so I wanted to bring that in to the music a bit.

Todd

QUOTE (zoom @ Feb 15 2013, 04:11 AM) *
My first thoughts - Tears for fears or Duran Duran (wild boys) 80's revamp. Which is not a bad thing at all because I really like them both.
So I like. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 16 2013, 05:06 PM
Instructor
Very nice man! I had no clue they are midi samples - that means my ear is bad or that they are so good that I couldn't tell the difference? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 16 2013, 10:33 PM
I EQd them like guitars and drenched it in fx so it's sorta guitar like smile.gif I'm glad it sounds like guitars, I didn't want it to sound like all keyboards smile.gif There is a killer piece of software called EVOLVE MUTATIONS 2 that is part of the NATIVE INSTRUMENTS KOMPLETE bundle. It's just killer! That entire suite is killer. The KOMPLETE package is the best money I think one could spend on the whole given how much stuff you get. It's pretty much everything they make in one place. Guitar Rig, Studio Drummer, all of it.

Here is a link to what EVOLUTIONS is about

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/pro...ve-mutations-2/

and here is KOMPLETE (it's now reduced to 400 Euro) and has 27 products in one package.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/pro...te-8/?page=2535

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 16 2013, 11:06 AM) *
Very nice man! I had no clue they are midi samples - that means my ear is bad or that they are so good that I couldn't tell the difference? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 17 2013, 08:06 AM
Instructor
I just took a look over the presentations and they seem incredibly filled with possibilities!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 18 2013, 02:39 AM
It's an AMAZING suite of Software. Very "Komplete" smile.gif The "Ultimate" version even has more stuff, plugins, libraries etc. It comes on it's own hard drive it's so big that it's impractical to install it with DVDs. 80 GB worth of software and samples/libraries etc.

I have to say the Last version of KOMPLETE was amazing and is still worth getting. This new version is even better and bigger. I still haven't tried everything that came with it.

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 17 2013, 02:06 AM) *
I just took a look over the presentations and they seem incredibly filled with possibilities!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 18 2013, 03:27 AM
Learning Roadie
Very nice!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 18 2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks man smile.gif It was fun to make!

QUOTE (thefireball @ Feb 17 2013, 09:27 PM) *
Very nice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 18 2013, 09:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 18 2013, 01:39 AM) *
It's an AMAZING suite of Software. Very "Komplete" smile.gif The "Ultimate" version even has more stuff, plugins, libraries etc. It comes on it's own hard drive it's so big that it's impractical to install it with DVDs. 80 GB worth of software and samples/libraries etc.

I have to say the Last version of KOMPLETE was amazing and is still worth getting. This new version is even better and bigger. I still haven't tried everything that came with it.

Todd

You'd probably need a lifetime to use all these things biggrin.gif It sounds massive but I salute the hard drive initiative! It's one of the best ideas around, as it is utterly a nuisance to install all those things with DVDs.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 18 2013, 04:24 PM
Instructor
Cool track Todd! It really cool to find yourself involved in such a different project. Once I was asked to create a track in the style of Portishead and this is what I composed.

https://soundcloud.com/gabriel_leopardi/without-you

I basically used Reason and Nuendo for this one.

Native instruments complete looks VERY interesting, and it's not too much money for all that stuff!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 18 2013, 06:05 PM
Instructor
If that tremolo guitar in the beginning (I guess that's what it is, right? biggrin.gif) Would be louder, it would sound like Dredg! biggrin.gif

Very nice, man!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 18 2013, 08:04 PM
Very cool track, and you nailed the Portis Head vibe! It's great fun to jump on to a project that's 180 degrees off from normal smile.gif Keeps things interesting!

And yeah, Native Instruments Komplete is a STEAL considering all the stuff they throw in. smile.gif It's quite a bargain all put together but it's got a higher entry point than most software folks have on their home rig. The good news is, they have free demos of everything so you can try each first.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 18 2013, 10:24 AM) *
Cool track Todd! It really cool to find yourself involved in such a different project. Once I was asked to create a track in the style of Portishead and this is what I composed.

https://soundcloud.com/gabriel_leopardi/without-you

I basically used Reason and Nuendo for this one.

Native instruments complete looks VERY interesting, and it's not too much money for all that stuff!

Thank goodness they started using a hard drive for the KOMPLETE ULTIMATE install!! Otherwise, it would take DAYS!!!! 240 Gigabytes of sound files alone! Not to mention the installers for programs. I had to install it to a 4Terrabyte external drive as it wouldn't fit on my internal!! Just huge.

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 18 2013, 03:17 AM) *
You'd probably need a lifetime to use all these things biggrin.gif It sounds massive but I salute the hard drive initiative! It's one of the best ideas around, as it is utterly a nuisance to install all those things with DVDs.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 19 2013, 08:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 18 2013, 07:04 PM) *
Thank goodness they started using a hard drive for the KOMPLETE ULTIMATE install!! Otherwise, it would take DAYS!!!! 240 Gigabytes of sound files alone! Not to mention the installers for programs. I had to install it to a 4Terrabyte external drive as it wouldn't fit on my internal!! Just huge.

Todd

Todd, what configuration do you have on your computer right now? Or are you a MAC user? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 20 2013, 07:45 AM
I thought everyone knew by now that I'm a MACINTOSH guy smile.gif I"ve got KOMPLET ULTIMATE EDITION and I gotta say it's worth every penny. I get called on to create tracks of all sorts, like this techno track, and it allows you the flexibility to create pretty much anything without needing any external sample libraries/loops at all.

If you bought komplete standard piece by piece it would costs FIVE THOUSAND EURO!!!! Egad. Untimate would cost almost twice that. The Ultimate comes with the "Classic Compressors" which are several compressor plugins based on expensive vintage compressors. As well as "Modern Drummer" which is quite handy. It takes a good bit of ram so I'd say 4 GB at least of system ram is a good idea.

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 19 2013, 02:47 AM) *
Todd, what configuration do you have on your computer right now? Or are you a MAC user? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 20 2013, 08:04 AM
Instructor
Oh, my bad smile.gif I am asking because I am planning to re-vamp my PC this year, so I am doing a bit of research and since you are the number one pluggin/ software connoisseur around here - why not ask wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 20 2013, 11:42 PM
I hear ya smile.gif If at all possible, I'd say try to look in to perhaps getting a used Mac on Ebay. They are SHOCKINGLY CHEAP!!. It will use a standard PC computer monitor and USB peripherals.

**Here is a QUAD CORE TOWER!!! Just like the one I used:) For $300 U.S. about $200 Euro.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-APPLE-MAC-PRO...221191083799%26
Attached Image

Here is a MAC MINI for a bit over $135 U.S!!! That's a steal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-Mini-1-8...=item43b8ba35b6

Attached Image
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 20 2013, 02:04 AM) *
Oh, my bad smile.gif I am asking because I am planning to re-vamp my PC this year, so I am doing a bit of research and since you are the number one pluggin/ software connoisseur around here - why not ask wink.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 20 2013, 11:46 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 21 2013, 09:45 AM
Instructor
Wow! Thank you for the tip Todd smile.gif Amazing prices indeed, but why so low - are they in proper condition? In Romania, an iMac is around 2500 bucks at least...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:53 PM