Pick Problems....., Help Needed!!
iainsteward
Apr 28 2008, 02:53 PM
GMC:er
Hello all my GMC Family!

The time has come when I turn to you all for help and guidance!! I am in need of some new guitar picks, but am unsure what kind to get....... I recently bought some Jim Dunlop 2.0mm things and they are way way way too slippy and make my hand sweat, plus they are too thick for my liking, the only good thing is when using these picks the pinch harmonics could break windows 3 miles away smile.gif

With not liking these picks I have been using some Jim Dunlop Nylon .46mm picks and I really like them, I can get a grip perfectly but they just arent thick enough and sometimes pinch harmonics can seem a little muffled and forced.......but they are an integral part of my playing!! Also you have to be really forceful when picking and its causing problems when playing faster parts, for example my band was covering Liar by Malmsteen and I completely screwed up the solo thanks to the pick, thank goodness it was just a practice!! But I pick very lightly with thin strings (gauge .09 on the high E) and its starting to play tricks with my technique using these .46mm paper picks!!

So, with that said I would appreciate it if someone could dip into the vast knowledge here on GMC and recommend the perfect pick for me, I need something not too thick, that provides good grip, is good for shred and speed playing and most importantly creates the pinch harmonics that makes girls pants fall down wink.gif

Thanks guys,
Iain!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 28 2008, 02:54 PM
Try Jazz III picks. The GMC favourite pretty much lol. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 28 2008, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I use Dunlop lucky 13 and i love them

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Mark.
Apr 28 2008, 03:12 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Apr 28 2008, 03:54 PM) *
Try Jazz III picks. The GMC favourite pretty much lol. biggrin.gif

Yeah, Jazz III picks rule ! laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 28 2008, 06:43 PM
Instructor
The Jazz picks are a sure winner. Most here use Jazz III, i prefer Jazz II's though. They dont feel as stubby.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
axelsson
Apr 28 2008, 07:06 PM
Used Jazz III for a while, can't use em now....nowadays i use my trusty 0,70 mm dunlop picks...always works, fits everything.....to make a long story short...the ultimate pick.

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 28 2008, 07:21 PM
Instructor
Try a dunlop jazz III xl red, is bigger than normal jazz III, and plus the red is a little bit softer than black one.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
black and white
Apr 28 2008, 07:23 PM
I use Fernandez Star Wars picks...they are great. You got R2 D2 or 3 PO for a funky chop, Chewbacca for blues and if I need to force something special, I whip out the Yoda or Luke Pick. If I am trying to go harder metal, you use a stormtrooper pick or if you dare......Vader.

They are pretty damn cool

This post has been edited by black and white: Apr 28 2008, 07:24 PM

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 28 2008, 07:31 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I am using a stone pick since about 20 years, perfect one for me, but I also used Jazz 3 for some time before I found my stone, definitely not a bad choice.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 28 2008, 10:14 PM
Instructor
dunlop/fender/gibson thats nice picks

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Apr 28 2008, 10:23 PM
Dunlop gator 2.0 mm! best picks ever!

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
Siggum
Apr 28 2008, 10:26 PM
QUOTE (black and white @ Apr 28 2008, 08:23 PM) *
I use Fernandez Star Wars picks...they are great. You got R2 D2 or 3 PO for a funky chop, Chewbacca for blues and if I need to force something special, I whip out the Yoda or Luke Pick. If I am trying to go harder metal, you use a stormtrooper pick or if you dare......Vader.

They are pretty damn cool

Sounds like fun biggrin.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Canis
Apr 29 2008, 07:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ Apr 28 2008, 11:23 PM) *
Dunlop gator 2.0 mm! best picks ever!

+1000000 Yes! biggrin.gif
I love my Dunlop Gator 2.0mm! It's tough, and it bends to no man but himself! (As in: It's not fexible) I've named mine Fat Joe ^^
I have a habit of losing them though... I had 5, and now I only have two left... Gotta reload soon, unless I find a stone pick, which sounds tasty..

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 29 2008, 11:07 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Aha, you said "pick", I thought Mr Guitartube was here insulting people. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
somecrazyguy09
Apr 29 2008, 11:26 PM
i use both jazz III's and dunlop big stubby's. the big stubby's are great because they are thick (up to 3mm) and they have nice grips that feel great and dont make your hands sweat. plus even though they are thick and sturdy they have really really fine tips which make pinch harmonics very easy and they are easy to sweep with. i would suggest trying out either the jazz III or the dunlop Big stubby's

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Apr 30 2008, 12:20 AM
Instructor
I use various Dunlop picks but my main pick is the Ibanez Paul Gibert signature pick.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
iainsteward
Apr 30 2008, 12:29 AM
it is funny you mention that Jerry because last night I ordered a boat load of picks, mostly what people had advised and then some other ones, and I got 3 different colours of PG picks, the white, purple and black ones!!! Also a load of dunlop gator's, jazz III's and jazz II's also some other ones, should arrive any day now and I can see which ones work best!!

Thanks for all the advice guys, its appreciated!!
Iain!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 30 2008, 12:33 AM
I use Dunlop Gators, .96mm I believe. Lately ive been using Fender Heavys. I have JazzIII's , I dont know. Just not my cup of tea, I always lose a grip on them . ! biggrin.gif

Later-

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 10 2008, 06:22 AM
!

This post has been edited by FrankW: May 11 2008, 03:29 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:08 AM