Are There Any Bad Ibanez Electrics?
Scott Gentzen
Apr 21 2007, 03:14 AM
GMC:er
Was wandering around the local Guitar Center the other day and noticed the "used" section. There were a few Ibanez guitars there that were relatively inexpensive, including a couple 7-strings. While I'm not silly enough to start messing with a 7-string at this point in my development, I wouldn't mind finding out what people like about Ibanez guitars if I can do it on the cheap.

Thing is I didn't really catch the model numbers like I should have, I'm not really in a position to research it more til I get back out to GC.

So, are there bad Ibanez electrics? Some of you love them...are they all that good, or are there some sh*t models at the low end? It makes me wonder when they go down into the $200-300 range. I'm not a guitar snob...I won the guitar I have and it retails for around $400...but for a couple hundred bucks I'll bite if it's interesting and feels good.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
n0x
Apr 22 2007, 01:00 AM
Ibanez are generally great guitars. www.ibanez.com should do the trick.

All the prestige/ RG models are excellent excellent guitars. Great looking, Fast, smooth playing neck with very active pickups and the Edge Pro bridges are considered #1 in terms of floyd rose licensing.

The low end guitars are not usually looked down on, they serve very well as beginners guitars or so i've heard even though they say that the Edge II and similar bridges found on low end Ibanez guitars are not as stable as their predecessors, the Edge Pro. I've never played a low end model but im a huge Ibanez fan and will receive my Ibanez JEM7vwh in about 10 days. biggrin.gif

I can't tell you anything about those second hand guitars that you saw, because you have not put in any descriptions but go and check out what u saw on www.ibanez.com and decide from there!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Iscariott
Apr 22 2007, 04:11 AM
In short no. I have some unknown model gio(their budget guitar) and its fantastic. The action is about as low as it gets, and the tone isnt all that bad. In fact, its better than my RG521 for punk and ska.

I'd suggest just play them all till you really like one. Then go for it.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Apr 22 2007, 06:33 AM
QUOTE (Iscariott @ Apr 22 2007, 03:11 AM) *
I'd suggest just play them all till you really like one. Then go for it.

I'll be back there sometime this week or next and will report back.

Thing is at this point in my development, I haven't really figured out what feels good or not to me...it's just different than the one I have. I can tell the difference to my left hand when I pick up an LP Studio vs an SG vs a Strat but I haven't really had that "that feels good" reaction with anything yet. It's still a little foreign to me I guess.

The only reason I'm even looking is really just the cheapskate in me. The pawnshops around here are mostly full of Squier Strats, and I'm totally not interested in them...if I'm going to pick up another guitar, I'm going to want to be better than the one I already own.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Apr 27 2007, 02:26 AM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Apr 22 2007, 05:33 AM) *
I'll be back there sometime this week or next and will report back.

I got there today so I'm following up. There's an RGT42DX for $599 and an RG760 for $399. The RG760 seems to be the more interesting of the two even if it seems a bit more dinged up. The price on the RGT doesn't really seem that much off what you can find it for online. I'm having a hard time finding out about the RG760 though...how good it is and whether $399's a decent price.

I did fiddle around with them a bit. Didn't plug them in. Someone was banging out the greatest hits for Van Halen and Ozzy and I wasn't in the mood to bother.

I finally see what people are talking about with the action on Ibanez guitars. Wow, the strings are low. And the neck's way flat. The neck on my guitar has a slight curve to it. I don't really notice it, but when I grabbed the RG's it was night and day.

$399's a bit high for me to just buy something because it's on sale. I will have to come back sometime when I can play better so I feel comfortable with plugging in and seeing how I really like the difference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 27 2007, 07:09 PM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Apr 26 2007, 08:26 PM) *
I got there today so I'm following up. There's an RGT42DX for $599 and an RG760 for $399. The RG760 seems to be the more interesting of the two even if it seems a bit more dinged up. The price on the RGT doesn't really seem that much off what you can find it for online. I'm having a hard time finding out about the RG760 though...how good it is and whether $399's a decent price.

I did fiddle around with them a bit. Didn't plug them in. Someone was banging out the greatest hits for Van Halen and Ozzy and I wasn't in the mood to bother.

I finally see what people are talking about with the action on Ibanez guitars. Wow, the strings are low. And the neck's way flat. The neck on my guitar has a slight curve to it. I don't really notice it, but when I grabbed the RG's it was night and day.

$399's a bit high for me to just buy something because it's on sale. I will have to come back sometime when I can play better so I feel comfortable with plugging in and seeing how I really like the difference.

You might want to just figure out something that you are very comfortable playing on your current guitar (an exercise, a scale run, a song, whatever), and use that to differentiate between the potential new axes. You KNOW how it feels to play it correctly on your guitar....so you should be able to tell what new guitar you are most comfortable playing it on. And if you don't get that "wow I love playing this guitar and never want to put it down" feeling....you might want to hold out until you DO get that feeling from a guitar....because you might just have a bad case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome right now. And if you buy something now just to buy something....you will kick youself if you find your soulmate guitar later on and don't have the cash to buy it. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Rvddps
Apr 27 2007, 09:48 PM
Im just going to give you a heads up, the Edge III, in my opinion, is a terrible floyd, and should be avoided at all costs smile.gif. But on the good side, the Edge Pro is the most amazing thing ive ever used. Prestiges FTW

+Quote Post
Iscariott
Apr 27 2007, 10:31 PM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Apr 26 2007, 09:26 PM) *

That RGT is a sick guitar, I'm almost sure of it. Ibanez guitars with a Mahogany body are sweet. Mine's an RGR521, mahogany with a hardtail bridge. If you like having a trem, splurge the extra to get the RGT. It's got an edge pro bridge. Should be duncan pickups(better than what you'll find on normal ibanez models). Decent price for what you're getting.

+Quote Post
ClifordACDC
Apr 28 2007, 02:10 AM
QUOTE (Rvddps @ Apr 27 2007, 04:48 PM) *
Im just going to give you a heads up, the Edge III, in my opinion, is a terrible floyd, and should be avoided at all costs smile.gif. But on the good side, the Edge Pro is the most amazing thing ive ever used. Prestiges FTW

what is so bad about the edge III and how is it different from the pro version

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/cliffordacdc

my gear: epiphone sg special, Marshall mg100dfx, digitech df-7 distortion factory

+Quote Post
Rvddps
Apr 28 2007, 05:56 PM
QUOTE (ClifordACDC @ Apr 28 2007, 02:10 AM) *
what is so bad about the edge III and how is it different from the pro version

It is nowhere near as stable as the pro, as in, it won't return to neutral that well, and that can cause problems. Also, it is made from subpar metal, so the actual bridge can wear away after some use, which makes it even less stable smile.gif. Glad to be of help

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Apr 29 2007, 11:26 PM
QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 27 2007, 06:09 PM) *
You might want to just figure out something that you are very comfortable playing on your current guitar (an exercise, a scale run, a song, whatever), and use that to differentiate between the potential new axes. You KNOW how it feels to play it correctly on your guitar....so you should be able to tell what new guitar you are most comfortable playing it on. And if you don't get that "wow I love playing this guitar and never want to put it down" feeling....you might want to hold out until you DO get that feeling from a guitar....because you might just have a bad case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome right now. And if you buy something now just to buy something....you will kick youself if you find your soulmate guitar later on and don't have the cash to buy it. sad.gif

That's a fantastic suggestion. I'm definitely have Gear Acquisition Syndrome a little bit. Fortunately my finances are keeping that in check. That'll give me some time to get more comfortable with the guitar I have and then have a better idea of what I like and don't like about it before I go snapping something else up because it's (reatively) cheap.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:53 PM