#37 Blues Scale Lick With Pinch Harmonic, Let's combine a couple of things we've done in to one lick!
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2018, 08:34 PM
GMC:er
INTRO
This time let's combine two bits that we've worked on in to one lick. Let's do a familiar scale run pattern using the blues scale (this pattern typically just uses the pentatonic without the blues note), and end the lick on a pinch harmonic. The Pinch is, again, on a wound string. Don't let this throw you. There is only one pinch in the lick at the very end. Then let's try the same lick one octave up on the neck by moving to the 12th fret. The lick is in the key of E. So this lick will work with pretty much any backing in the key of E.

KEEP A GOOD PALM MUTE on this. Try to make sure you plant your palm on the bridge and try to pick with the thumb and first finger without moving your hand. I have been seeing a lot of folks lately who could use a bit of work on this sort of picking technique, thus this Quick Licks! It's a simple lick that can get your technique back on track. Also, we are doing a bit of vibrato on the pinch. It helps it ring out and sounds cool smile.gif This is another chance to work on Vibrato but in the context of a pinch licks

*Make sure to watch the vid!.

*NOTE: Pay Special attention to letting your thumb graze by the string after the strike, this is what creates the harmonic squeal. Mute a bit harder than normal and strike harder than normal for the pinch. Also try to add some Vibrato to the Pinch.

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS : Give yourself a break if you have trouble getting this one on the first few tries. You can play this. Be patient with yourself. Play it slowly, getting the pattern down takes a few passes. Your fingers may rebel against you a bit since the pattern is a bit different that what is normally played.

Attached Image

Attached File  37.gp5 ( 2.03K ) Number of downloads: 120

BTW:
Please let me know if you have any questions about this lick, send me a PM if you like or post here. I'm happy to help!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 21 2018, 08:34 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2018, 01:12 AM
I've been trying out a lot of picks lately and I'm using a Green Dunlop Sharp in this latest vid.

These picks are pointy, but they are not quite thick enough for me. It's a .88 so just under 1.0 mm. Also, not quite thick enough to have a bevel on the edge. They are better than the standard green turtle pick at this width due to the point. However, it's certainly not on the level of a V-Pick or VonHotch or other custom pick with a beveled edge and thicker width/stiffer material.

Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 27 2018, 07:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

i work on since the start of the week, but oit's not really easy !!

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 28 2018, 01:24 AM
You can do it!!! Which part is causing trouble?

Todd
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 27 2018, 02:42 PM) *
Hi Todd

i work on since the start of the week, but oit's not really easy !!

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 20 2018, 09:33 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
WOW, thinking of giving up on this one. Tried for an hour and a half, 7 different guitars all with humbuckers, many settings in Helix and I can't get any kind of pinch harmonic on the 2nd fret on the D string. I can get the 14th fret one sometimes.

I've worn the side of my thumb out mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

UPDATE:

After another 15 minutes it started to happen but it was the end of my session. I guess it will be back to square 1 tomorrow rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 20 2018, 09:46 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2018, 10:44 PM
If you can grab the low one, that would be more than enough. I'm just showing what it sounds like up high for demo purposes.

Let your brain sleep on it wink.gif Sometimes it helps to let it cook over night!. Pinches are more difficult to grab on the wound strings and even more difficult to grab past the 12th fret. I'm using quite a bit of gain here but it will work with less.Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 20 2018, 04:33 PM) *
WOW, thinking of giving up on this one. Tried for an hour and a half, 7 different guitars all with humbuckers, many settings in Helix and I can't get any kind of pinch harmonic on the 2nd fret on the D string. I can get the 14th fret one sometimes.

I've worn the side of my thumb out mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

UPDATE:

After another 15 minutes it started to happen but it was the end of my session. I guess it will be back to square 1 tomorrow rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 20 2018, 10:47 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 21 2018, 07:19 AM
Is the other way around for me buddy. I'm struggling on the 2nd fret not the 14th wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 21 2018, 08:52 PM
That's interesting for sure. Most folks have much more troubling getting a pinch higher up!! Can you post a quick vid so I can see how it's going I might be able to give you some tips? This is one of my fave techniques of all time as you probably know smile.gif
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 21 2018, 02:19 AM) *
Is the other way around for me buddy. I'm struggling on the 2nd fret not the 14th wink.gif

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Nov 22 2018, 08:44 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 25 2018, 09:45 PM
Take 1 for scrutiny Todd. The pinches are weak but I've put another video showing just pinches. Sorry, but in the first video the whole guitar is a little flat but it is in tune with itself.

https://youtu.be/VrVNvUYchzM

https://youtu.be/ScEdNwgpaQw

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 26 2018, 08:54 PM
Nice!! This one is very close to the previous Quick Licks so I figured I'd do both in one go. You are doing well with these. Try to throw them in when you are playing a solo. You'll notice that the tone of the pinch changes based on where you make the strike. So if you make the strike near the bridge, you get one sort of pinch tone, if you make it near the neck, you get another type of pinch tone. Practice doing them all the way between bridge and neck! Well played! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Nov 22 2018, 03:44 PM) *

It sounds like you are using the neck pickup? Typically, pinches work a "pinch" better using the bridge pickup as the bridge it often a bit hotter and geared toward higher frequencies. So they are easier to pull on the bridge pickup typically. That said, you are welcome to use any pickup/tone you are happy with! It looks like you are getting the hang of the pinch!! You are using a fairly low gain setting it sounds like which does make them a bit more hard to get, but again, it's all up to you. Given that you are using a lower gain patch and neck pickup, I'm very impressed you are able to get these!! Well done!! You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 25 2018, 04:45 PM) *
Take 1 for scrutiny Todd. The pinches are weak but I've put another video showing just pinches. Sorry, but in the first video the whole guitar is a little flat but it is in tune with itself.

https://youtu.be/VrVNvUYchzM

https://youtu.be/ScEdNwgpaQw

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 26 2018, 09:01 PM
Thanks Todd,

I deliberately used a lower gain setting because I saw a YT video showing one of the top players, Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert or someone like that showing pinch harmonics on an electric guitar unplugged. They were saying once you can get them unplugged, you've nailed them laugh.gif

I didn't know about the neck/bridge pickup thing.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 26 2018, 10:31 PM
Thats very true!! if you can get them with the amp off, you got it. It's a great way to practice them. It does take a bit longer to get them going good enough to do it with zero gain. But it's a goal worth shooting for!! It's just a bit easier with high gain and bridge pup smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 26 2018, 04:01 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I deliberately used a lower gain setting because I saw a YT video showing one of the top players, Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert or someone like that showing pinch harmonics on an electric guitar unplugged. They were saying once you can get them unplugged, you've nailed them laugh.gif

I didn't know about the neck/bridge pickup thing.

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 18 2019, 05:25 AM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 25 2019, 08:56 PM
Impressive! You got every single note in both octaves. This too is a tricky bit of blues since it does not coform to the way one typically runs this lick. You play it with dexterity and authority. Good palm mute as well. Without a good mute, this lick can get noisey. You have clean strikes and good temp. You nailed it! In other words you just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 18 2019, 12:25 AM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 2 2020, 10:49 PM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 4 2020, 02:41 AM
The ending on this one is difficult by design. You nailed it!! This is a great solo lick. If you are working with a backing in the key of E, this lick works great!! Give it a whirl!

You clearly have this one well in hand. Keep moving through these!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Dec 2 2020, 05:49 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:07 AM