Knuckle Injury
Ben Higgins
Mar 30 2012, 10:24 AM
Instructor
Anybody else ever had any knuckle injuries ?

Some months ago I noticed my knuckle was painful after using a punch bag. I assumed it was a bruised knuckle and that it would go away. I had to stop punching things and no knuckle push ups either. Yesterday I decided to check it out again after months of not using it. The pain returned again like before. After doing some research it most likely looks like Boxers Knuckle, which is damage to the soft tissue (specifically the tendon) around the knuckle of the middle finger, which is where mine is. Will probably take about 4 months to heal which is a bummer but at least I've had a warning. Some people get it a lot worse and can't even move their fingers.

Also, it's on my picking hand so I'm extremely lucky. The fact that it didn't occur on my fretting hand is probably because the tendons and joints are stronger because all the years of guitar, whereas my right hand is weaker even though it's my dominant side.

Oh well, the lessons are best learned through experience I guess.. the more painful, the more likely you'll learn it ! wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
mad
Mar 30 2012, 10:44 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
I did kick thai boxing and kung fu for 3 years (stopped 7 years ago - no time) but never had such an injury..
but.. I remember having awful pain in my shins because of some exercises for this area (you need to have kinda no pain when you kick the opponents shinbone tongue.gif ): We need to squat down with our shins on a bamboo cane.... biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 30 2012, 11:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mad @ Mar 30 2012, 09:44 AM) *
I did kick thai boxing and kung fu for 3 years (stopped 7 years ago - no time) but never had such an injury..
but.. I remember having awful pain in my shins because of some exercises for this area (you need to have kinda no pain when you kick the opponents shinbone tongue.gif ): We need to squat down with our shins on a bamboo cane.... biggrin.gif

Yeah Thai boxers are notorious for their shin conditioning... ouch !!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
Mar 30 2012, 12:38 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 30 2012, 10:24 AM) *
I had to stop punching things

Ben, what sort of monster have you become sad.gif

Back when I did kickboxing, I was lucky enough not to get something like this, we wore gloves for sparring and intense pad-work, the majority of the time. Also, the hand-wraps helped a tad.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 30 2012, 01:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dark dude @ Mar 30 2012, 11:38 AM) *
Ben, what sort of monster have you become sad.gif

I don't know how to contain The Beast !!

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Mar 31 2012, 01:46 AM
This is the side he hasn't let out in his temple, he is only talking of it... For now.. ph34r.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 31 2012, 01:55 AM
Ouch! Egad man! Careful with the fingers wink.gif More padding? Gloves?

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 31 2012, 09:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Mar 31 2012, 12:46 AM) *
This is the side he hasn't let out in his temple, he is only talking of it... For now.. ph34r.gif

It's all a process of working them up to it.... but we won't tell them yet... ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 31 2012, 12:55 AM) *
More padding? Gloves?

Yes definitely. First I'll rest it for a few months.. no punching things or knuckle pushups. When I get back into it I'll get some bigger gloves smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Mar 31 2012, 11:05 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm sorry to hear that, Ben. sad.gif

I dislocated my left shoulder 3 years ago on Aikido training and I had to operate it. It has never been the same since.
So consider yourself lucky biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 31 2012, 01:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ben do you use wraps under your gloves?
I 'dabble' a bit in MMA and tend to use the 16oz boxing gloves when I can but if Im using the 4oz grappling style glove have found it much better with wraps.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
llibach
Mar 31 2012, 02:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
Guess that's the downside of sport and exersise. I played Rugby for over 16 years and got my share of hand injuries, fingers caught in shirts stamped on the hand etc. The only permanent one is the ring finger on my fretting hand has a split tendon or button finger where the tendon running along the finger has a slight tear in the middle which means that my ring finger turns inwards slightly when I bend it. But seeing some of the other guys in the team I got off pretty well.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 31 2012, 03:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 31 2012, 12:01 PM) *
Ben do you use wraps under your gloves?
I 'dabble' a bit in MMA and tend to use the 16oz boxing gloves when I can but if Im using the 4oz grappling style glove have found it much better with wraps.

I only have a pair of lightly padded mma style gloves (not leather, just cotton and padding) that came with my kick bag. I don't wrap my hands but I'd like to get some proper boxing gloves.. I guess 16oz is the way to go ?

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 31 2012, 04:45 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 31 2012, 03:55 PM) *
I only have a pair of lightly padded mma style gloves (not leather, just cotton and padding) that came with my kick bag. I don't wrap my hands but I'd like to get some proper boxing gloves.. I guess 16oz is the way to go ?

16oz are the pro size, you'll probably get away without wraps with those. They are great though, lots more protection and you will soon notice the weight difference compared to the ones you use just now! wraps aren't that expensive though, if I were the geetar maestro you are I'd be wrapping my hands biggrin.gif
most clubs Ive trained at dont let you spar boxing or kickboxing with anything lighter than the 16oz glove.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 31 2012, 07:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 31 2012, 03:45 PM) *
16oz are the pro size, you'll probably get away without wraps with those. They are great though, lots more protection and you will soon notice the weight difference compared to the ones you use just now! wraps aren't that expensive though, if I were the geetar maestro you are I'd be wrapping my hands biggrin.gif
most clubs Ive trained at dont let you spar boxing or kickboxing with anything lighter than the 16oz glove.

Cool, cheers for the info.. a 16oz pair will be the purchase when I'm ready to rumble again wink.gif

I actually don't know how to use wraps at all.. guess I should look into it. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:51 PM