Low Cost Half Stacks
joshuas1234
Jun 15 2014, 01:49 AM
GMC:er
So I have always wanted a half stack ever since I was a kid. However I work for a living so getting my hands on the crazy high end amp rigs are just out of my range.

Until recently I was going to college for music production and due to that I used a lot of amp sims. I recently found a Kustom kg100hfx half stack package on amazon.

I also use a douglas 7 String guitar. It's an off brand but it is actually pretty good. Anyway I picked up the Kustom amp and I was expecting a pile of crap for the price. I only paid 400 for it after taxes. When it got to my place I plugged it in and I was shocked.

It has a nice tight sound a decent amount of gain. It's pretty barebones the effects section is just a chorus and delay/reverb. But it's definitely a great starting point for building your sound.

I have seen under 1000 dollar (USD) but never considered getting them until recently. I'm certainly glad I did!

Have any of you folks used any low cost options for big amps? If so what are your thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 15 2014, 02:12 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif Frankly speaking, I am using an old amp, which I bought for about 1300 bucks - Crate Blue Voodoo 120 - made in USA. I have kept the head and sold the 4x12 cabinet a few months ago, because it was too big for my needs. I have bought a 2x12 Marshall cab (1936V) which does the trick VERY well.

Mind you that I play metal mainly, in live contexts and this setup is suitable for it. It's also very important to know what you want it for in terms of style wink.gif

Maybe searching for used stuff on eBay will provide great finds - if you are into metal, I think you can get a Peavy 5150 for under 1000 bucks on eBay. I am not too experienced with selling or buying on eBay, but the good folks in the family here know more about trading there wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 15 2014, 03:15 PM
3 (that I've used) spring to mind immediately. Firstly the Bugera range of Amps, really good value for money.

Secondly an Australian manufacturer called Ashton, I used one of their 'Blue Tongue' full stacks and was really impressed with it.

And lastly Jet City (designed by Mike Soldano):-

biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2014, 07:15 PM
Instructor
As we have very high taxes in Argentina, low cost amps are still expensive so we have another option that is the "made in Argentina" amps, and the brand that is leading this is Vintage Electric. They made very good sounding amps for a reasonable price, (around US$600 and US$900) depending on the model. They have amps sounding like Mesa Boogie, Marshall JCM800, Plexi, Soldano, and some other variations.

This is the one that sounds close to Mesa Dual Rectifier:

and this is the plexi one:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 15 2014, 07:43 PM
As was mentioned, the JET CITY stuff is quite good and priced well below other options. You won't get wads of fx on board though. If you want a half stack with all the fx built in, and lower cost, your looking at a line 6 half stack or something along those lines which is something few here would suggest.

You may be better off getting a decent half stack and just using a pod or something similar just for the fx section and using the amp for the drive/gain section. Also, adding a simple overdrive pedal in front of the input will drive the tube drive section well in to crazy land smile.gif So...

Jet City half stack
Pod/etc.
Overdrive Pedal

Three purchases away from fun smile.gif

QUOTE (joshuas1234 @ Jun 14 2014, 08:49 PM) *
So I have always wanted a half stack ever since I was a kid. However I work for a living so getting my hands on the crazy high end amp rigs are just out of my range.

Until recently I was going to college for music production and due to that I used a lot of amp sims. I recently found a Kustom kg100hfx half stack package on amazon.

I also use a douglas 7 String guitar. It's an off brand but it is actually pretty good. Anyway I picked up the Kustom amp and I was expecting a pile of crap for the price. I only paid 400 for it after taxes. When it got to my place I plugged it in and I was shocked.

It has a nice tight sound a decent amount of gain. It's pretty barebones the effects section is just a chorus and delay/reverb. But it's definitely a great starting point for building your sound.

I have seen under 1000 dollar (USD) but never considered getting them until recently. I'm certainly glad I did!

Have any of you folks used any low cost options for big amps? If so what are your thoughts?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 16 2014, 12:22 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif How's the search going, have you managed to find something interesting so far?

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 18 2014, 03:46 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I actually managed to score two half stacks for a little more than a grand. Why do I need two half stacks? Because It just sort of happened haha

I first got the Peavey Valveking 100 head for around $400 brand new, and I already had a B-52 LS 412 cab. The Valveking is a great head for any price; I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I eventually got rid of the B-52 cab because I really wanted a vintage Marshall cab, particularly from the 80's. The B-52 was a budget cab, but actually wasn't that bad, just not amazing.

I ended up finding a 1985 Marshall 1960A cab for $250 on craigslist. It reeked of cigarettes and hippy incense. It took a good two to three months for the smell to diminish to a bearable level. But it sounds AMAZING. The G12 T-75's have a reputation for being a little harsh, but the passage of time and accumulation of cigarette smoke mellowed the highs and smoothed out the mids.

The next amp, the Peavey Ultra Plus, was a spontaneous purchase. I have been wanting that head for a long time, and I found it for $300. Bam. Got it the same day... and starved for the next couple of weeks laugh.gif

How could I have two heads and only one cab? The search began for a second cab. I ended up getting a Peavey 5150 cab for $100. It had busted casters and the speaker jack was loose, but it worked perfectly. Out of all the equipment I just mentioned, this probably provided the best bang for the buck. It's not as nice sounding as the Marshall, but it's still a good sounding cab. With that being said, even if you spend a $1000, I don't think you'll find a cab that sounds better than that Marshall.

Honestly, I try to avoid buying cabs brand new, especially 412s. You can get a great cab, with speakers that are already broken in, for very little money. Many people buy 412 cabs not realizing how much of a thump they have, and eventually end up getting rid of them. Also, since the vast majority of bands go bust, they end up getting rid of their equipment.

The amp head in this next video is a bit mangled, but the recording is well done

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 15 2014, 02:15 PM) *
As we have very high taxes in Argentina, low cost amps are still expensive so we have another option that is the "made in Argentina" amps, and the brand that is leading this is Vintage Electric. They made very good sounding amps for a reasonable price, (around US$600 and US$900) depending on the model. They have amps sounding like Mesa Boogie, Marshall JCM800, Plexi, Soldano, and some other variations.

Those amps sound great! And they're less than a grand? Why would anyone even consider buying the original?! laugh.gif I wonder if they have any dealers here in the US cool.gif .... unfortunately buying one ain't happening any time soon blink.gif sad.gif

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Jun 18 2014, 03:40 AM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 09:04 AM