Combo Amp Vs Amp Head + Cabinet, Which One Is Better?, EVH 5150 III
kklee100
Feb 7 2013, 05:46 AM
Learning Rock Star
Months ago, I post a thread about EVH 5150 III 50W or 100W amp head.
Everyone said it is a good amp for metal.
So I decided I will buy EVH 5150 III 50W amp head + 2x12 cabinet in the future.

But at NAMM 2013, I notice EVH 5150 III combo amp (50W head + 2x12 speaker) released.
I have no experience in any tube amp.
I do not know what is the difference between them.
Can anyone tell me which one is better? Thanx!!

Attached Image Attached Image

ps. there is reverb knob in combo amp but no reverb knob in 50W amp head.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MHD Pickups
Feb 7 2013, 06:26 AM
GMC:er
I had a JMD 102 combo which i loved. To me it was far better than he head and cab.
Easier to move and when I did run a bottom cab then there were 6 instead of 4. Just my opinion.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
http://mhd-pickups.com/

https://www.facebook.com/mhd.pickups

DC DOES NOT EQUAL OUTPUT. Dc is a resistance value and that is all. It WILL NOT tell you what it will sound like, it WILL NOT make you sound like another player.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 7 2013, 08:39 AM
The 'benefit' of a head and separate cab is that -
1) you can choose different cabs for different applications,
2) since the head and cab are separate you'll get much less potential rattling of tubes and other components which will also prolong their life especially if you plan on playing fairly loud. *This 'may' be minimized in the 5150 combo because the spkrs seem to be separated by a baffle from the chassis.
3) when recording you can have the head near you and the spkr in an iso booth/room.

The 'cons' -
You now have two things to carry around and load into a car.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 7 2013, 08:57 AM
Instructor
As Ken says - if you have a car, or means to transport heavier things and more volume (not the volume measured in decibels but in cubic meters biggrin.gif) you can have the head and cab, but in the same time, if the majority of your concerts are club based, a combo will be a better option. My point is, write down a list of factors which influence your decision and take it based upon them smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 7 2013, 10:10 AM
Learning Roadie
Head and Cab look cooler

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 7 2013, 06:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have always found that closed back cabs get better lows for metal, if you could try them next to each other , then you could make the best decision

plus, 2 things to carry balances out well

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Feb 7 2013, 06:49 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 7 2013, 07:14 PM
One isn't really "Better" than the other, it really just depends on what features you need. If you want to be able to carry a single piece to a gig, the combo is handy, as it's a head stuffed in to cab in crudest terms, (though that's not technically accurate it's close enough to get the idea) VS the Head being a separate piece. If you plan on using different heads with your cab, having them separate is handy, or if you have more than one cab.

For the player starting out, combo amps are often handy since you can carry your amp in one hand and guitar in the other when jamming/gigging (assuming you can tote the combo with one hand) where as putting a head/cab together every time you move it is a bit more work and more trips to the car/van.

Todd

QUOTE (kklee100 @ Feb 6 2013, 11:46 PM) *
Months ago, I post a thread about EVH 5150 III 50W or 100W amp head.
Everyone said it is a good amp for metal.
So I decided I will buy EVH 5150 III 50W amp head + 2x12 cabinet in the future.

But at NAMM 2013, I notice EVH 5150 III combo amp (50W head + 2x12 speaker) released.
I have no experience in any tube amp.
I do not know what is the difference between them.
Can anyone tell me which one is better? Thanx!!

Attached Image Attached Image

ps. there is reverb knob in combo amp but no reverb knob in 50W amp head.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 8 2013, 10:41 AM
Instructor
Good advice from Todd! I've also seen a lot of pro players using combos, strictly for the sake of carrying them around more easily biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
kklee100
Feb 9 2013, 06:56 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you guys for your professional advices!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 9 2013, 08:50 AM
Instructor
Nothing to it man smile.gif Let us know what you will get wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:15 PM