3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Ybritt's Bootcamp, Earn it and Burn it!!!
Todd Simpson
Jun 1 2019, 08:47 AM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bit.ly/ybrittsbootcamp
Practice!
Sarge

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Jun 5 2019, 11:58 AM
Sarge Todd,

I do my practice on a nearly basis and trying to listen to my own sound recordings which is very rewarding.
I spot mistakes that I don't notice while playing. Hope to deliver some vids the coming weekend.

Over and out

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 1 2019, 07:47 AM) *
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bit.ly/ybrittsbootcamp
Practice!
Sarge

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 5 2019, 10:02 PM
Make a playlist on youtube for your MISSION videos. It will allow you to see your progress over time!! I recently had a student do 100 days in a row of mIssions and he broke the standing record and is now our TOP DAWG at level 102. You don't have to do one every day, just spend time with your guitar ever day. That's critical smile.gif I look forward to your videos!!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Ybritt @ Jun 5 2019, 06:58 AM) *
Sarge Todd,

I do my practice on a nearly basis and trying to listen to my own sound recordings which is very rewarding.
I spot mistakes that I don't notice while playing. Hope to deliver some vids the coming weekend.

Over and out

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Jun 8 2019, 11:23 PM
Finally! It’s here. My first video on GMC.

Mission 1 so far. There are some few mistakes every now and then but anyway, here it is:

https://youtu.be/U07OVyfacNY

Looking forward to your unfiltered feedback.

Ybritt

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 5 2019, 09:02 PM) *
Make a playlist on youtube for your MISSION videos. It will allow you to see your progress over time!! I recently had a student do 100 days in a row of mIssions and he broke the standing record and is now our TOP DAWG at level 102. You don't have to do one every day, just spend time with your guitar ever day. That's critical smile.gif I look forward to your videos!!!
Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 9 2019, 01:41 AM
First off SUPER CONGRATS on Your first FIGHT!!!!!! It sometimes takes a few rounds in the ring to smooth things out. Let's take the GOOD NEWS first!!
1.)I can see both hands in the shot!!2.)I can Hear your guitar and your click3.)Well lit4.)Nice Ibby!!!!

Now for the bits that need another run up the pole.

1.)Drift. Your synchronization is drifting a bit over time. It starts off locked to the click, but it starts to drift not long after. Maybe slow down a pinch and focus on making a pick strike each time you hear a click. Adjust the speed of the click track so that you are striking at each click, that way you know if you are on or off beat.
2.)Overpressure picking. Maybe using a pinch too much strike pressure on your pick hand This too can create synch issues. Try to use just barely enough force for the string to make a noise. You may have your amp a bit quite. Strike lighter and turn up just a pinch

3.)Embed VS cut paste. It's great that you have shot and uploaded to youtube! All that remains is to use the "EMBED" function. It's quite simple Click on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM iin the drop down menu. Then click INSER YOUTUBE and follow the instructions. That way the clip is actually embedded in the post, instead of being just a link. Small issue of protocol easily fixed.

In short, you are off to a good start here Soldier. A few tweaks and you are back to the FRONT!!!! Once more in to the breach!!!!!
Sarge
QUOTE (Ybritt @ Jun 8 2019, 06:23 PM) *
Finally! It’s here. My first video on GMC.

Mission 1 so far. There are some few mistakes every now and then but anyway, here it is:

https://youtu.be/U07OVyfacNY

Looking forward to your unfiltered feedback.

Ybritt

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Jun 11 2019, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback Sarge!

I tried the one-strike-per-click approach and it felt more under control (turned the metronome up to 220 bpm). I'll continue to practice that and then I will sedn you a new video - embedded this time. smile.gif

Ybritt

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 9 2019, 12:41 AM) *
First off SUPER CONGRATS on Your first FIGHT!!!!!! It sometimes takes a few rounds in the ring to smooth things out. Let's take the GOOD NEWS first!!
1.)I can see both hands in the shot!!2.)I can Hear your guitar and your click3.)Well lit4.)Nice Ibby!!!!

Now for the bits that need another run up the pole.

1.)Drift. Your synchronization is drifting a bit over time. It starts off locked to the click, but it starts to drift not long after. Maybe slow down a pinch and focus on making a pick strike each time you hear a click. Adjust the speed of the click track so that you are striking at each click, that way you know if you are on or off beat.
2.)Overpressure picking. Maybe using a pinch too much strike pressure on your pick hand This too can create synch issues. Try to use just barely enough force for the string to make a noise. You may have your amp a bit quite. Strike lighter and turn up just a pinch

3.)Embed VS cut paste. It's great that you have shot and uploaded to youtube! All that remains is to use the "EMBED" function. It's quite simple Click on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM iin the drop down menu. Then click INSER YOUTUBE and follow the instructions. That way the clip is actually embedded in the post, instead of being just a link. Small issue of protocol easily fixed.

In short, you are off to a good start here Soldier. A few tweaks and you are back to the FRONT!!!! Once more in to the breach!!!!!
Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 12 2019, 06:40 AM
Cool! Glad the click/strike is working smile.gif I used that method myself when working on my hand synch. Being able to latch on to the click can really help. PLaying in between clicks is sometimes more confusing than helpful. Look forward to your vid!
Sarge

QUOTE (Ybritt @ Jun 11 2019, 07:15 AM) *
Thanks for the feedback Sarge!

I tried the one-strike-per-click approach and it felt more under control (turned the metronome up to 220 bpm). I'll continue to practice that and then I will sedn you a new video - embedded this time. smile.gif

Ybritt

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Jun 15 2019, 12:47 PM
Hey Todd!

I got some new videos for you. I managed to squeeze in some recording between the family activities this weekend.
Ready for your merciless verdict.

Ybritt

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 12 2019, 05:40 AM) *
Cool! Glad the click/strike is working smile.gif I used that method myself when working on my hand synch. Being able to latch on to the click can really help. PLaying in between clicks is sometimes more confusing than helpful. Look forward to your vid!
Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 15 2019, 11:51 PM
Well Fought Soldier! This is what I was looking for. Nice Ibby BTW! How long have you had her? Where did you get her?

MEDALS OF HONOR

*MUTE: Palm Mute is crucial to your growth as a player. You have a solid mute here and are using your thumb and finger to partially articulate the pick which is great. The only issue is that your palm is resting near the low E. Try to see if you can center it on the bridge and just tilt your hand to reach all the strings. This takes time and practice. Also, try to see if you can play missions with your guitar in classical position (guitar on the left leg instead of the right) this will help a ton in missions to come. Some people just can't play this way, but it's worth a try.

*SYNCH: The point of this Mission is to test your hand synch and let me know if there are issues wit it. The Good News is that I don't see any issues. You have very tight right/left hand synch!

*PACE: Another aspect of this mission is pace. I want to see if you can play without rushing or lagging. Nice and smooth, score!

Congrats on your first Mission in the books Soldier!!!
In short, you just.......

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Ybritt @ Jun 15 2019, 07:47 AM) *
Hey Todd!

I got some new videos for you. I managed to squeeze in some recording between the family activities this weekend.
Ready for your merciless verdict.

Ybritt

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Jun 20 2019, 04:43 PM
Thanks Sarge! I am happy to hear that!

So how does it work now? I continue to work on Mission #1 while I take on the next mission (#2), or do I leave this one behing (take no prisoner) and advance?

I tried to put the guitar on my left knee and it sure felt strange but offered a quite good and relaxed way of playing. My left thigh "fell asleep" though. But I'll try it some more.

Yes! My Ibby. I bought her from a Dutch student in September 2017 for about $400. It's a Prestige and I like her.

Ybritt

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 15 2019, 10:51 PM) *
Well Fought Soldier! This is what I was looking for. Nice Ibby BTW! How long have you had her? Where did you get her?

MEDALS OF HONOR

*MUTE: Palm Mute is crucial to your growth as a player. You have a solid mute here and are using your thumb and finger to partially articulate the pick which is great. The only issue is that your palm is resting near the low E. Try to see if you can center it on the bridge and just tilt your hand to reach all the strings. This takes time and practice. Also, try to see if you can play missions with your guitar in classical position (guitar on the left leg instead of the right) this will help a ton in missions to come. Some people just can't play this way, but it's worth a try.

*SYNCH: The point of this Mission is to test your hand synch and let me know if there are issues wit it. The Good News is that I don't see any issues. You have very tight right/left hand synch!

*PACE: Another aspect of this mission is pace. I want to see if you can play without rushing or lagging. Nice and smooth, score!

Congrats on your first Mission in the books Soldier!!!
In short, you just.......

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 21 2019, 03:04 AM
You can add these Missions to your warm up routine, but once you get it badged up, it's time to move on and attack the next one. So Forward Soldier!!!
Keep trying to play in classical position if possible. It will release a lot of tension on your hands and allow you to have better reach and play with more presicion/speed. Also prop you left foot up on stomething. A stack of books, anything. Just get it about 6 to 12 inches off the ground. This will create the correct angle for the guitar neck and make playing things a bit easier.

Give it a shot!
Sarge
QUOTE (Ybritt @ Jun 20 2019, 11:43 AM) *
Thanks Sarge! I am happy to hear that!

So how does it work now? I continue to work on Mission #1 while I take on the next mission (#2), or do I leave this one behing (take no prisoner) and advance?

I tried to put the guitar on my left knee and it sure felt strange but offered a quite good and relaxed way of playing. My left thigh "fell asleep" though. But I'll try it some more.

Yes! My Ibby. I bought her from a Dutch student in September 2017 for about $400. It's a Prestige and I like her.

Ybritt

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Jun 25 2019, 02:03 PM
Sarge! Here is my first vidéo for M2.
I am planning to crank it up a little bit but first I want your assessment.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 21 2019, 02:04 AM) *
You can add these Missions to your warm up routine, but once you get it badged up, it's time to move on and attack the next one. So Forward Soldier!!!
Keep trying to play in classical position if possible. It will release a lot of tension on your hands and allow you to have better reach and play with more presicion/speed. Also prop you left foot up on stomething. A stack of books, anything. Just get it about 6 to 12 inches off the ground. This will create the correct angle for the guitar neck and make playing things a bit easier.

Give it a shot!
Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 26 2019, 10:25 PM
Well Fought Soldier! You may be using just a bit to much pick pressure on your pick hand, so focus on only using as much pressure as it takes to get the string to make a noise. Also, if you are not already, try to use a 1.0 mm thick pick with a sharp beveled point. Wads of vendors make sharp thick picks these days. Try a few to see what you like. I used to have to carve my own in to a point with a knife back in the day. Focus on only striking with the very tip of the pick. Don't let the pick go to deep toward the body of the guitar. Just strike with the very point of the pick. This will help you as your speed increases. Let's Debrief! There are certain things I look for in each Mission and you got all of them.
MEDALS OF HONOR
*FORM: You are displaying solid technique here Soldier. keep it up! Muting, hand synch, clean strikes. Nice!
*TEMPO: Not rushing or lagging, Spiff!
*AGGRESSION: Jumping in with aggressive style!!

Best of all I can see both hands in the video and I can hear the click. You've got the production technique sorted. On to Mission 3! You can keep using each mission as a warm up and keep working up the speed, but don't let that stop you from heading to the next mission. Each one will help you on your way to where you want to be so don't get stuck on any particular one.
You just.....
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge
QUOTE (Ybritt @ Jun 25 2019, 09:03 AM) *
Sarge! Here is my first vidéo for M2.
I am planning to crank it up a little bit but first I want your assessment.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 10 2019, 03:06 AM
Have not seen you in the trenches Soldier! Hope you didn't not get taken by the Enemy!
Sarge

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Jul 14 2019, 09:28 PM
Thanks for checking on me Sarge! I had to lay low and in order to not blow the cover I had to act as a family man and husband as it is summer vacation time here in Sweden. But I made it back alive and here are two new videos to report back.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 10 2019, 02:06 AM) *
Have not seen you in the trenches Soldier! Hope you didn't not get taken by the Enemy!
Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 15 2019, 01:36 AM
Welcome Back to the Fight Soldier!! Good to see you mowing them down on the field of BATTLE! Being a Family Man is Noble tour of Duty to be sure. It's a tough balancing act sometimes I'm sure. Your playing here is top notch. You clearly have not lost a step due to your time away from the front!!! Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*PICKING TECHNIQUE: The first thing I'm looking for here is solid picking technique. I like to see a firmly planted right hand that moves at the fingers and the wrist, not at the elbow. You have very good form here. Your technique is spot on. It will serve you well in complex bits to come!

*MUTING: Second thing I want to see is your palm mute. If your mute is too light, you get string noise, if it's to heavy you flatten out the strings. Your mute is just right. NOICE!!!

*SYNCH: The last thing I'm looking for is hand synch. There is no gap in this lesson and really few gaps at all in Missions to come. So being able to play with tight synch is crucial. Your synch is like a weapon of war glued to a stop watch!! On the mark and deadly.
Well Fought Soldier!! you just..

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

BTW: That really is a spiff ibby!!!!!! Look forward to your next jaunt in to the Jaws of Death!
Sarge
QUOTE (Ybritt @ Jul 14 2019, 04:28 PM) *
Thanks for checking on me Sarge! I had to lay low and in order to not blow the cover I had to act as a family man and husband as it is summer vacation time here in Sweden. But I made it back alive and here are two new videos to report back.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 15 2019, 01:42 AM

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Aug 31 2019, 10:02 AM
Hey Sarge!

You probably thought I was gone MIA by now, but hell no. I have been out there all the time and I’m now reporting back on Mission #4.

Ready for your assessment.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 31 2019, 04:41 PM
Welcome Back to the Fight Soldier!! I can see you've earned some speed!!!!!

Let's Debrief
HALF YOUR SQUAD GOT KILLED

SYNCH: Your hand synch is perfect. It's the synch with the metronome that has me holding back on your badge. I hear you playing around the beat instead of with it. if the metronome were not on, it would barely even be noticeable. But, I can hear clearly with the click track. Maybe slow the pace just a pinch, just for the Mission vid. Also, for some of these, using only one type of click, not click/click/click/clack, just click click click click on the metronome works better since you can synch eash pick strike to a click sound. Let me know if this makes sense. I appreciate you playing near the edge of your ability, for mission vids, it's better to play just under the edge of ones ability as the bar is always set high.

DRIFT: Your timing is drifting just a bit. I realize this lick is NOT an easy 4/4 thing to play. So doing it over a 4/4 click/click/click/clack is going to be hard. Thus my sugestion about using one type of click and matching it to each pick strike to ensure you stay on target and in synch with the bpm.

I hate to send you back to the battlefield on your first Mission back!! It'll be worth it though Soldier. This is a KEY part of moving forward. It only gets harder from here!! You can dot it!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Ybritt @ Aug 31 2019, 05:02 AM) *
Hey Sarge!

You probably thought I was gone MIA by now, but hell no. I have been out there all the time and I’m now reporting back on Mission #4.

Ready for your assessment.

+Quote Post
Ybritt
Sep 6 2019, 04:04 PM
As promised, new reports from the field

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 6 2019, 08:40 PM
This is what I"m talking about Soldier!! Well done on the Metronome!! You set it to clicks only and have one click per pick strike. It's a great way to work through bits that seem a bit tricky. I use this same technique myself all the time. Let's Debrief!!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*PALM MUTE STEADY ON: Non stop string traverse makes these licks prone to non stop string noise. So the first thing I'm looking for is a good mute to keep the noise at bay. SCORE!!!!

*PICKING STEADY ON: Next thing I'm looking for here is smooth and consistent picking. If you let it rush or lag based on which part is easier or harder, the bits fall apart. The good news is you played with control and precision and didn't rush or lag at all. NICE!!!

*ENDURANCE: Perhaps the most important thing I"m looking for in this Mission is sheer ENDURANCE. This is why these licks are built this way. To force your hand to play note after note, over and over to see if your hands burns out. Keeping from tensing up is key. If you tense up, the hand / arm will just give out. Not so here! You don't tense up, you use just enough pressure and keep it going. NICE!!!

*You are still in the "FOUNDATIONAL" Missions and you are doing well in them. You are more than ready for the CRAZY Missions to come!!!

In other words you just.... LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Ybritt @ Sep 6 2019, 11:04 AM) *
As promised, new reports from the field

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:48 PM