> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Steel Panther Style, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Rated Htr
Aug 19 2015, 11:51 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Original lesson: Steel Panther Style by Ben Higgins

Hey guys, would like to ask a few questions if possible since I wasn't sure where to ask them.

I'm quite aware that I could play this better but that brings me to the question:

Should I strive to do the best take possible or should I do a take I'm happy with and wait for the feedback in order to be sure on what to work on?

Hope that's ok, thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Rated Htr: Aug 19 2015, 11:53 AM

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 20 2015, 04:26 PM
Instructor
Hi Rated, good playing on this one!

About your question, there is no an unique way for it, it depends on you. However, If you share a take too soon here, we will be able to identify problems at an early stage and you'll use your practice time more efficiently. So that's what I usually recommend, but the other way is also ok since you use more your mind to find out the problems.

This take has two little issues to adjust. The first one is tuning. There must be something wrong with the second or first string because the open G and D chords don't sound clear.

The other thing that I note is that you are not comfortable with the fast chord change that is repeated many times (at 00:18 for example). There is no trick there, just isolating it, and repeating the passage as a loop to feel more comfortable with the movements. Try to make the movements small but consistent. It's the only part that has technique issues, the other parts sound very good.

Keep on the hard work!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 21 2015, 01:15 PM
Instructor
Hi Filipe. It's a good question you ask. If it were me personally, I would try to work on any areas that I knew would be singled out for improvement before going for a take. However, it can be just as beneficial to upload it even though you know it's not as good as you want it to be because, as you say, you might be made aware of problem areas that you had not noticed yourself.

So, the annoying answer is both approaches are good smile.gif

You play this quite well overall. As Gab said, there is something not 100% with the tuning which is most noticeable when you hit the D chords later in the lesson.

In terms of technique, I would like to see you be more comfortable when moving between palm muted notes and non palm muted notes. In the main riff, there is an open A note after the C5 chord. Listen at 0:20. You hit the open A note but you slightly mute the C5 chord that comes afterwards. So my main advice to you is to go back through the lesson and make sure you're not muting notes that should be played cleanly.

Apart from that, well played!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 24 2015, 10:08 PM
Instructor
Hey there! It all depends on you. If you feel you would like to get some particular type of feedback while doing the lesson, ther is nothing against posting a take. It has some good sides - we can see how your hands act while playing and we can spot some issues before you get used to make things the bad way smile.gif Usually students post their takes when they think it's best they could squeeze of them selfs smile.gif

your take is quite nice. Like Ben wrote -mostly tuning issues become a little annoying but your alternate picking execution sound descent and the take is quite clean aside from (Gab mentioned) 0:18 issue

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 1 2015, 02:58 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.3

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:52 PM