Mystery Dream Theater Songs
shellshock1911
May 18 2008, 12:08 AM
GMC:er
Ok so me and my friend are going to the Prog Nation on May 28th. I told him to download a few Dream Theater songs because he didn't know anything about them in the first place and buying an album would be a waste if he didn't like them. So anyway, he asked me why "The Answer Lies Within" is a completely different song live than it is on his album (he watched the REAL version on Youtube), so anyway I checked out the 8 songs he had and they are all completely unheard of Dream Theater songs, but they all have the same name as the Octavarium songs, but bear no resembelance, I don't understand. What is this? I have heard every Dream Theater song I thought and have never heard any of these. And let me tell you, they were really sweet, that is why I want to know what they are. And yes it was definately Dream Theater, Petrucci's tone and LaBrie's voice are unmistakable.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 18 2008, 02:16 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Before Octavarium came out, James Labrie made a solo album, And it got leaked. Since it was Labrie singing on it, everyone assumed it was Dream Theater, and labeled the files as the dream theater songs

What your friend is hearing is Labries Solo work.

Portnoy mentioned it on one of the Documentaries for there DVD, Budokan I think it was.

These are the songs on James Labries solo album, Elements Of Persuasion, which came out a month or so before octavarium in 2005. Marco Sfoglfi (spelling?) did the guitars on it, And his tone is kinda similar to Johns, But it is definitely not DT.

1. Crucify
2. Alone
3. Freak
4. Invisible
5. Lost
6. Undecided
7. Smashed
8. Pretender
9. Slightly Out of Reach
10. Oblivious
11. In Too Deep
12. Drained

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
May 18 2008, 03:18 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ May 18 2008, 02:16 AM) *
Before Octavarium came out, James Labrie made a solo album, And it got leaked. Since it was Labrie singing on it, everyone assumed it was Dream Theater, and labeled the files as the dream theater songs

What your friend is hearing is Labries Solo work.

Portnoy mentioned it on one of the Documentaries for there DVD, Budokan I think it was.

These are the songs on James Labries solo album, Elements Of Persuasion, which came out a month or so before octavarium in 2005. Marco Sfoglfi (spelling?) did the guitars on it, And his tone is kinda similar to Johns, But it is definitely not DT.

1. Crucify
2. Alone
3. Freak
4. Invisible
5. Lost
6. Undecided
7. Smashed
8. Pretender
9. Slightly Out of Reach
10. Oblivious
11. In Too Deep
12. Drained

Ah thanks, I see now. If it isn't JP, then that Marcus guy on the album is damn good, I heard a couple solos and the riffs are amazing.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: May 18 2008, 03:19 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 18 2008, 03:52 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Oh yeah, Marco is insane, there is a thread on him somewhere I believe, Not sure though.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 18 2008, 04:14 AM
Instructor
James LaBrie has got 2 other solo albums out aswell, they all got some good stuff but the Elements of Persuasion album is definetly the best. Mostly due to the brilliant guitarwork.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
May 18 2008, 02:45 PM
Instructor
Marco Sfogli is an awesome guitar player and musician ! check out his web site. www.marcosfogli.com

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 18 2008, 09:36 PM
Oh man!!! I just checked out Marco Sfogli on Youtube. Andromeda was the song. Yet, another beast of a guitar player! Thanks to you guys, I now have to also buy all of James LaBries' stuff! I've been singing the praises of Boogies, and did you see what he was playing through? A Lonestar...Thank you for turning me on to another killer guitar player!

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
May 19 2008, 01:39 AM
Instructor
Marco Sfogli ???? I'm going to check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
Thanks for sharing guys!!!!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
May 19 2008, 01:50 AM
Instructor
Marco Sfogli is the correct spelling biggrin.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
May 19 2008, 02:01 AM
I've heard some of these too and I have always wondered what it really was. I think I'm going to get James' newest album now.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:25 AM