Easy Drum Program, .. or teach me :)
ElHombre
Jan 14 2015, 04:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello, I have EZ drummer, but the package with advanced time signatures are too groovy to start writing on.
By that I mean, I would rather have just basic beats with only kick and snare in different time signatures, I prefer to write music that way.

Or can anyone show me how to write drums easily in a midi editor?
I somehow always screw up when I try to change the time signature, I watched vids and so on but
its like I cant add measures in the editor and it always ends up in 4/4 which is the default value

I use reaper

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 15 2015, 12:00 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Jan 14 2015, 04:32 PM) *

Well this could be a possible topic for Bogdan's beginner series.

I don't think tricky time signatures is Bogdan's speciality, but if I get you right you would want to know the basics of programming drums midi/piano roll style?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 15 2015, 02:49 PM
Instructor
Unfortunately adding more than one different time signature in the tempo track is assigned to each DAW individually. Probably there is nothing simpler than manual midi drawing. But first of all You need to understand some basics of playing drums. Relation between speed and dynamics, number of hand than can actually play at the same time...etc smile.gif

The earlier You make Yourself learn this, the sooner You'll see how essentialit is for Your future projects.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 15 2015, 05:33 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I've just given you a tip at Gab's Army thread about programming drums, please check it out. I don't use Reaper, but applying what I suggested and drawing drums using piano roll should be an easy thing. I checked at youtube and I found this video that explains everything you need to know to write drum midi tracks:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Huargo
Jan 15 2015, 05:45 PM
Tone Seeker
Hi!
For me the best starting point it's a drum machine.
try this, it's free and after you can export the midi files to a daw for final touchs... http://www.hydrogen-music.org/

This post has been edited by huargo: Jan 15 2015, 05:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Jan 15 2015, 08:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 15 2015, 01:49 PM) *
Unfortunately adding more than one different time signature in the tempo track is assigned to each DAW individually. Probably there is nothing simpler than manual midi drawing. But first of all You need to understand some basics of playing drums. Relation between speed and dynamics, number of hand than can actually play at the same time...etc smile.gif

The earlier You make Yourself learn this, the sooner You'll see how essentialit is for Your future projects.

True that.
I think the best thing would be to actually learn to play real drums, but I dont even have time to play as much guitar as I want.

I will try to learn more the concept and theory behind drums.
I think a good step would be to just be able to freely write drums in any desired time signature.

I know how kick and snare works togheter, and with those 2 tools, write in all possible signatures.

Then learn more about the other elements of drums.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 15 2015, 04:33 PM) *
Hi mate, I've just given you a tip at Gab's Army thread about programming drums, please check it out. I don't use Reaper, but applying what I suggested and drawing drums using piano roll should be an easy thing. I checked at youtube and I found this video that explains everything you need to know to write drum midi tracks:

Thanks Gab that will help a lot.

Do you or anyone also know a video where the maybe explain writing in different time signatures and just doing basic drums?
Explaning a bit about the elements and so on, the different components?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 15 2015, 09:52 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Elhombre, please check out this thread - it might give you some ideas about different time signatures : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=53615

You are touching upon a very interesting and a bit complex subject. Playing drums in different time signatures can indeed get a bit tricky for drummers as they need to accent certain beats specifically. Maybe the simplest way to think and try writing it down is to find the closest "regular" time signature and take away some notes. For inspiration purposes, I'd recommend searching youtube with keywords like : "drum beat in 7/8" (and change the time signature)

Here is a good video on 7/8 beat :

Notice how the drummer thinks 8/8 and just takes away one eight note?
Basically just "cuts" the beat/loop he is playing to end on any hit which was played on 7th beat (in case he was counting it in eighth notes like this 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8) and then he re-starts the groove from the beginning (beat 1). This is cool thing about drums, imagine if you would be playing a riff on guitar in 8/8 and to play 7/8 you just cut the last 8th note and don't play, rather just re-start the riff from the beginning. WIth guitar and other instruments it becomes a problem as you might ruin the musical idea/melody while with drums - it is usually just a "hit" you are cutting and doesn't make that much problem when doing so.

I know this is confusing and you and Kristofer gave me a great idea of recording a lesson on the topic of basic drums midi programming. Could you please help me by writing more about what you find confusing/hard in the process of programming drums for your songs in general? Any insights you could share would be very helpful and appreciated smile.gif

Since I don't have enough experience playing with drummers who used odd time signatures, I'd need to keep it basic.
We can discuss and share ideas about programming different time signatures here though as it is something I'm also interested to know more about.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 16 2015, 12:17 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Jan 14 2015, 07:32 AM) *
Hello, I have EZ drummer, but the package with advanced time signatures are too groovy to start writing on.
By that I mean, I would rather have just basic beats with only kick and snare in different time signatures, I prefer to write music that way.

I somehow always screw up when I try to change the time signature, I watched vids and so on but
its like I cant add measures in the editor and it always ends up in 4/4 which is the default value

I use reaper

Ez Drummer has a *lot* of pre-canned grooves in 4/4, 2/4, 3/4, your standards basically. I would assign Ez drummer to a track in reaper, then I would drag a few samples directly from the EZ drummer grooves library onto the track - then you can double click the midi segment you just dropped onto reaper, and edit notes by deleting, moving, raising lowering attributes such as velocity. That will at least get you going quicker than say, learning how to play drums smile.gif

If you'd like me to make a video on how I do basic editing stuff, I'd be happy to show you how i go about it.

Chris!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
StaceyD
Jan 16 2015, 01:12 AM
GMC:er
This vid might help with editing the bars in Reaper:

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:50 PM