2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Tips On Learning Canon Rock
smrt173
Nov 13 2007, 06:48 PM
GMC:er
Hey GMCers...
I am really amazed by how many youtube users play canon rock. I am more than ready to learn it.
Any of you could advice me on any tips and tricks on learning it? Maybe recommend me lessons the watch before i start learning how to play it. Also are there any other techniques that are vital in the song?
I know its tough but I will practise hard laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 13 2007, 07:14 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hi there!

I have not played this song, but i have listen to youtube a few times (who hasnt wink.gif )

The core techniques for this seem to be (in no particular order);

Riffing

Vibrato and Trills

Picking, well Funtwo seems to be economy picking which i do not recommend ! Although i have not tried this peice, i would use Alternate picking always.

3 String Sweep shapes (although he isnt that clean on these !! unsure.gif )

So to summarise, these are all stanard skills you can learn here. I would definatly recommend some of the following lessons to help you build up these "core skills" ;

Riffing Lessons - Any of Pavel, Gabriel or Juans wonderful Riffing lessons. Choose a beginner one at first and move onto hard ones. I have not listed a specific lesson(s) as I want you to find something your comfortable with, and there are plenty to choose from here.

Vibrato and Trills - Marcus has fabulous lessons on each of these fun techniques. Vibrato is the key to giving your playing soul, and Trills give extra flair to your playing.

Alternate Picking - This is a core skill every playing should have in my opinion. We have wonderful lessons from Pavel, Gabriel, Juan and Muris. I would recommend starting of with Muris and Pavels beginner alternate picking lessons as i did. These will give you a good base skill to work from!

3 String Sweep Shapes This will also help alot with the sweeping techniques seen in Cannon rock. 3 String shapes are a must as they pop up in many peices. I can highly recommend basic sweeping lessons from Muris, Pavel and Gabriel. They have all helped me out alot!!

I would recommend useing the search function on the main page to browse/search for each of these techniques as it makes finding what you want easier.

Now when you decide you want to start working on Cannon Rock (you may not feel you want to after gaining tons of new skills. Infact I stopped wanting to play "famous" peices of music after i gained a basic skill set) i would recommend breaking down the peice bar by bar. Practice each bar with a metronome untill it is perfect.
Trying to tackle the whole thing at once usually ends in disaster. When i practice music now, i always do it one or two bars at a time.

This makes it so much more managable! And you wont get frustrated. Above all, you will be keeping correct time so it will not sound sloppy. Perfect practice makes perfect playing!

I hope I have been of some help to you. Some of the concepts I have mentioned you may or may not be familiar with so if you have any questions like "how do i use a metronome" or "what is a bar?" or "is this guy mental?" please just ask and andrew will commit me to a mental hospital ! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

Good luck and have fun.

Matt

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Nov 13 2007, 07:15 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 13 2007, 07:39 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Nov 13 2007, 06:14 PM) *
Good luck and have fun.

Matt

Great explanation Mattacuk!

Good luck learning this one smrt173, its a very popular piece to play! (and to post on youtube...)

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 13 2007, 07:48 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Nov 13 2007, 10:14 AM) *
Good luck and have fun.

Matt

I think Mattacuk should be a "proper practice techniques" instructor. I'm not kidding....

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
smrt173
Nov 13 2007, 08:21 PM
omg thank a million mattacuk for this elaborate information! I'm going to learn it right away...

Once I've gotten the hang of it i will record a version of it =D

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 13 2007, 08:28 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Nov 13 2007, 06:48 PM) *
I think Mattacuk should be a "proper practice techniques" instructor. I'm not kidding....

Do I get a wip to keep people inline when they get sloppy? laugh.gif tongue.gif unsure.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 13 2007, 08:34 PM
Get to da Chopper!
<slowly bends over and clenches teeth....>

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Nov 13 2007, 09:27 PM
wow matt pretty much cleaned this topic out in swoop! ohmy.gif

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 13 2007, 11:30 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Asphyxia Feeling @ Nov 13 2007, 08:27 PM) *
wow matt pretty much cleaned this topic out in swoop! ohmy.gif

They call me "The topic cleaner" cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 13 2007, 11:44 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Nov 13 2007, 05:30 PM) *
They call me "The topic cleaner" cool.gif

Make your topics whiter than white with new Mattacuk!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 13 2007, 11:46 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 13 2007, 10:44 PM) *
Make your topics whiter than white with new Mattacuk!

I am tough on stubborn threads ! tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Oh the practical jokeing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 14 2007, 12:00 AM
QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Nov 13 2007, 01:48 PM) *

Agreed. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 14 2007, 12:34 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Nov 13 2007, 01:28 PM) *
Do I get a wip to keep people inline when they get sloppy? laugh.gif tongue.gif unsure.gif

Afraid it's only us moderators who get a whip Matt. You'll have to make do with throwing the blackboard duster at them smile.gif tongue.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 14 2007, 01:00 AM
I have been able to play it for 4 or 5 months. Sorry, Matt, you missed the most important element. You have not played it. I will be happy to tell you what that is, if anybody asks.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 14 2007, 01:02 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 14 2007, 12:00 AM) *
I have been able to play it for 4 or 5 months. Sorry, Matt, you missed the most important element. You have not played it. I will be happy to tell you what that is, if anybody asks.

err, well I did state that I had not played it. I was simply trying to be helpful.

I do not claim to be an expert in Canon Rock, im not even that keen on it. But I do like to try and give as much help as i can, with what I have ! smile.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Nov 14 2007, 01:08 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 14 2007, 01:15 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 13 2007, 07:00 PM) *

And that would be?

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 14 2007, 01:57 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 13 2007, 06:15 PM) *
And that would be?

It is too hard for all but the most skilled. Unless you aspire to be a slop artist skilled at covering up with thick backing tracks, echo, and simplifying the difficult parts, as just about all those youtube renditions that people think are so great. They are just being fooled for the most part. Very very difficult song to play really properly. Sure learn it, but it will be a long time before most here can really play it authentically well. 200bpm is just beyond the capability of all but a very few.

I suggest this one instead. He has the tab on his site.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N7ICC2D_8K8

I realized that even though I could play Canon Rock at 200, and use the slop artist tactics to cover up my deficiencies and get away with it for the most part, what for? I just have to be patient, you have to be real good to really play at that speed.

But "My Grandfather's Clock" is only at 176. Just took a week to learn, and now I can play along and think "well, not satisfied, but in a month or two, I will have something to be proud of".

Canon rock at 200bpm? Long way off. Unless I want to join the army of slop artists as I mentioned.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 14 2007, 01:59 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 13 2007, 07:57 PM) *
It is too hard for all but the most skilled. Unless you aspire to be a slop artist skilled at covering up with thick backing tracks, echo, and simplifying the difficult parts, as just about all those youtube renditions that people think are so great. They are just being fooled for the most part. Very very difficult song to play really properly. Sure learn it, but it will be a long time before most here can really play it authentically well. 200bpm is just beyond the capability of all but a very few.

I realized that even though I could play Canon Rock at 200, and use the slop artist tactics to cover up my deficiencies and get away with it for the most part, what for? I just have to be patient, you have to be real good to really play at that speed.

But "My Grandfather's Clock" is only at 176. Just took a week to learn, and now I can play along and think "well, not satisfied, but in a month or two, I will have something to be proud of".

Canon rock at 200bpm? Long way off. Unless I want to join the army of slop artists as I mentioned.

I actually enjoyed that song, thanks for sharing.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 14 2007, 02:16 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 13 2007, 07:57 PM) *

Well personally the Cannon rock thing is not for me ,i really just dont like how so many people have constantly played it.Its like a song you here on the radio and then the saying radio killed the radio star smile.gif .I do like how you stated slop artist .Far to many people learn stuff like this half-*** and prefer to play something sloppy rather than slow and clean.I'm sure this at 200BPM would be a tough task and i would like to see it done clean.

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 14 2007, 02:19 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Nov 13 2007, 05:16 PM) *
Well personally the Cannon rock thing is not for me ,i really just dont like how so many people have constantly played it.Its like a song you here on the radio and then the saying radio killed the radio star smile.gif .I do like how you stated slop artist .Far to many people learn stuff like this half-*** and prefer to play something sloppy rather than slow and clean.I'm sure this at 200BPM would be a tough task and i would like to see it done clean.

its also kind of annoying how these kids view this thing as the the most incredible piece of guitar music ever and the hardest thing ever to play. How has this become a benchmark for arriving at guitar?

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:31 AM