2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Sight Reading Exercises, Learn To Sight Read on Guitar and Not be Bored While Learning!
The Professor
Jan 14 2013, 09:12 PM
Theory Instructor
Yeah, gotta be creative, but when working out on gigs a lot of the time the reading gigs pay the best compared to the more creative, rewarding gigs. So it's a bit of give and take I guess, reading helps pay the bills and allows me to do the more creative stuff which is more personally rewarding than financially rewarding some of the time.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 15 2013, 09:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt Warnock Guitar @ Jan 14 2013, 08:12 PM) *
Yeah, gotta be creative, but when working out on gigs a lot of the time the reading gigs pay the best compared to the more creative, rewarding gigs. So it's a bit of give and take I guess, reading helps pay the bills and allows me to do the more creative stuff which is more personally rewarding than financially rewarding some of the time.

Matt! You have touched a VERY important breaking point in this last post smile.gif The majority of the talented and prolific instrument players here in Romania, follow the same path as you BUT they stop when they have to be creative. They just play in cover bands for various events o club gigs, parties and such but they never ever take the time to create. This is one major reason why I have ran away from that world and decided to find other means to sustain myself in order to only play the music I like with the people I like and also be able to understand my band/ musical product as a business and take it to another level. I like thinking I'm being an eclectic and taking things from various activity fields in order to develop myself as much as possible smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 15 2013, 09:41 AM
Theory Instructor
For sure. Luckily I grew up playing jazz and fusion so most of my output was creative and the music I wanted to play. BUT, jazz doesn't really pay the bills, especially in the early days. So I've had to do corporate and other gigs to make ends meet while paying my dues.

There's no right way to do things I think, but I find a good mix of creative and reading gigs keeps me grounded and expressive at the same time.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 15 2013, 09:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt Warnock Guitar @ Jan 15 2013, 08:41 AM) *
For sure. Luckily I grew up playing jazz and fusion so most of my output was creative and the music I wanted to play. BUT, jazz doesn't really pay the bills, especially in the early days. So I've had to do corporate and other gigs to make ends meet while paying my dues.

There's no right way to do things I think, but I find a good mix of creative and reading gigs keeps me grounded and expressive at the same time.

Good choice smile.gif As long as you stay true to yourself, it's all for the best!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 15 2013, 06:21 PM
GMC:er
It definitely depends on your personality ... and what you can stomach laugh.gif. I'm fortunate in that it doesn't bother me to play not so inspiring music with not so inspiring musicians - sometimes. You know, guitar in hand. I have plenty of creative output musically. Plus I have a 3 year old running around at home - trust me, that can be very 'creative', lol!
I like playing covers. Not so much Top 40 per se but specialized covers like 50s and 60s, funk and soul, classic rock, all bossa nova, etc. I know some guys hate doing any of that. That's cool. I just happen to be OK with it. I chalk it up to my individual personality. It's easy for me to not pay too much attention to a not so great gig - you know, tomorrow's another day and whatever. I know a lot of really great musicians who can't stomach it. If it impacts your other musical journey's then by all means don't subject yourself to it.

But to take this back to the OP - reading music ...
One of the positive by-products of being a decent reader is that "you just go do the mediocre gig". No rehearsing, no sweat, no hassle, no stress. Nobody wants to rehearse for and worry about a Top 40 wedding gig - all those bands have 'books', or they should so it's easy on the players and it keeps the band 'overhead' down. You get paid (usually pretty well), you go home, you work on your own thing. *Many times you also meet other great players.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 15 2013, 11:40 PM

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 16 2013, 04:11 PM
Theory Instructor
Yeah I agree. Being able to read has gotten me out of a bunch of rehearsals for gigs I could just read down anyway. Much better than wasting time in rehearsals.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 16 2013, 10:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt Warnock Guitar @ Jan 16 2013, 03:11 PM) *
Yeah I agree. Being able to read has gotten me out of a bunch of rehearsals for gigs I could just read down anyway. Much better than wasting time in rehearsals.

Well, I totally agree with you guys on this one smile.gif For now, the only context in which I would've possibly needed reading would've been the orchestra gigs, but since I have no clue on what the future holds, I won't say no to reading smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:15 AM