Greetings From Alaska, New member
AK Rich
Sep 10 2011, 09:17 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Hello GMCers !

I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member and say hello to all the members and instructors and I look forward to picking your brains in my quest for musical knowledge, Gonna try and get into Todds video chat lesson today and I am sure I will meet some of you there.
A little about myself, I live in Big Lake Alaska and I have been playing guitar since the early 80's,I have been in a handfull of bands including an original music band called AK-Raw and my last band was a cover band called Liquid Chicken. I am mainly self taught and my playing style is based on the Blues , Rock and Metal and these days I am heavily into Progressive rock / jazz fusion I guess I would call it. one of my favorites being Greg Howe, also I am a big fan of Satriani, Via ,Zappa, Buckethead and other players in this vein, lately I have discovered guys like Guthrie Govan and Dave Martone, Amazing how many great instrumentalists that are out there that I have not heard of and alot of them I have discovered by browsing the free content in this site, (thanks for that by the way).Also I am a great fan of most all of the classic bands such as Hendrix Zep, Clapton and just about anyone who is responsible to taking the music to new places, did I mention Hendrix? wink.gif anyway if anyone has any questions just holler and I will be happy to answer them or even just shoot the breeze and talk about music, gear , guitars or whatever.

Thanks alot and see you guys and gals around.

Peace! AK Rich....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 10 2011, 09:29 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to GMC!

PS: Be careful with Todd's lesson :C most of the people who join the chat .... never came back.
Rumors say that when Todd shred he disintegrate the viewers ph34r.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Sep 10 2011, 09:35 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Blister
Sep 10 2011, 09:31 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Welcome to GMC smile.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 10 2011, 09:33 PM
Instructor
Hi AK Rich, nice to meet you.. welcome to GMC ! smile.gif

Some great influences there. Seeing as you've been playing since the early 80's you must have experienced the whole 80's competetive shred thing first hand ??? smile.gif

Yes, I definitely recommend Todd's chats, they're always really interesting as well as a good laugh !

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 10 2011, 09:48 PM
GMC:er
Hope you can make it to our Video Chat today smile.gif I have a really cool lesson plan using symmetrical shapes to create killer lead riffs! Here is a preview on soundcloud.

http://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/g...4-divina-mortis

The name of the backing track translates roughtly to Holy/Sacred Dead/Death as the tune has a somber vibe and seemed moody it sounded fitting. smile.gif

Thanks MONKEY DATHOS! I wondered what happened to those GMCers who spontaneously combusted in chat! Now and again, people EXPLODE and MELT mid chat! I'll try to keep the shred to a respectable level today so that folks don't melt their hands off or burst in to flames!
Attached Image

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 10 2011, 04:33 PM) *
Hi AK Rich, nice to meet you.. welcome to GMC ! smile.gif

Some great influences there. Seeing as you've been playing since the early 80's you must have experienced the whole 80's competetive shred thing first hand ??? smile.gif

Yes, I definitely recommend Todd's chats, they're always really interesting as well as a good laugh !

Thanks Ben smile.gif I always try to keep it light and entertaining if at all possible. I've had some booooring instructors when I was learning and I ended up teaching myself for the most part so I swore not to be one of those guys. So stop by for a giggle and stay for the shred!!!!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 10 2011, 09:49 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2011, 10:07 PM
Instructor
hi man! Welcome to the site! Great introduction! You have an amazing background so I think that you'll add a lot to the community!
It's cool to have you here. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 10 2011, 10:27 PM
Instructor
hey man, nice intro! Welcome!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 10 2011, 10:38 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC man! smile.gif Great introduction, we are here to help !

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Sep 11 2011, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Welcome man

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 11 2011, 08:51 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Awesome introduction! smile.gif

Great to see you in the forum Rich.

Cheers,
Bogdan

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 11 2011, 09:11 AM
Instructor
Welcome aboard man, nice influences! smile.gif What guitar(s) do you play? smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Sep 11 2011, 10:10 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Welcome aboard AK!
Now that you have witnessed your first chat with Todd and the bunch of crazies (what a cool name for us studnets not combusting in the chat) you have seen what GMC is all about: Fun and Guitars! laugh.gif And weird coloured bottles or cups (you've gotta check Ben's chat on tuesday wink.gif )

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Sep 12 2011, 01:52 AM
Instructor
welcome to the site man, i do video chats every wednesday at 4pm GMT-5, maybe i can show you one trick or two wink.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Sep 12 2011, 01:56 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Welcome to the gang!!!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Sep 12 2011, 02:26 AM
Learning Roadie
Welcome!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 12 2011, 07:12 AM
Instructor
hey mate! Welcome to GMC! biggrin.gif We all love Guthrie here! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Sep 12 2011, 07:57 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Welcome to GMC man,

Alaska .... sounds great !!!

Good luck, Nico

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Sep 12 2011, 08:02 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Wow guys thanks for the warm welcome! you certainly know how to make a guy feel at home.
One thing I should clarify I guess is that even tho I started playing in the early 80's I have not been playing solid thru all those years, In the early 90's I discovered watersports, Wakeboarding to be more specific, My brother and I purchaced the first of 2 different boats we have had over the years and music took a back seat to that ,(Yeah I know shame shame) altho I still played every now and then I never kept up any kind of serious practice regimine so even tho I started playing way back then I am definately not a guitar virtuoso of the 80's shred era, I guess I would consider myself an intermediate player. My first book that I learned out of was The Heavy Guitar Bible, maybe some of you know this one ,so the songs I was learning were really blues based rock and roll rather that metal really, such as AC/DC ,Floyd, Clapton, Zep,Rush, Nugent, Sabbath,Santana,Van Halen of course, of and my bad for not mentioning EVH and Randy Rhoads, as influences, Those guys almost single handedly changed the direction of Rock guitar in my view.
As the 90's rolled in I got a lesson from a friend/fellow musician fresh out of GIT who introduced me to the modes and 3 note per string blues scales incorporated by Paul Gilbert, and not long after that I was turned on to Greg Howes Introspection, WoW!!

All that being said I never really delved into the mechanics and techniques of high speed improvisation or theory which is my main focus for about the last 3 years I guess.

Ok with that out of the way let me try and address some questions and comments in your responses to my intro.

Todds video chats are awesome!! like I said I have been sitting in on them as a guest for at least a year and its like the ultimate warm up and get your hands limber exersizes, One thing I like to do is find a harmony to his runs and play along like that , sounds awesome, when I am done with one of his sessions I am ready to throw on some kinda backing track and jam away.

Also I have been trying to get into Ivans and Bens chats as well as the rest of the guys that have lessons there,(Thanks for the heads up Adrian I will definately try and join your chat as well and I am sure you could teach me a trick or two as well as any one of the instuctors could , I am sure I could learn something from all of you) just gotta get the time conversion thing down,(oh yeah is Ramiro going to do anymore vid chats?) I really enjoyed Ivans lesson the other day on using recording software.And to address Ivans question as to my guitars , currently I have an Ibanez S - series S470DXQM that I got off of craigslist for 300 bucks, the previous owner had installed a couple of EMG active pickups in it and it has a pretty good tone I think , not bad for 300 bucks anyways lol. Also I have and early 80's Kramer Focus with a Warmoth neck and Mighty Mite PU's.I was actually considering doing a scallop job on the neck. any of you guys play a scalloped neck? I keep that one setup in Eb tuning and the Ibanez in standard E. I need to get a hardtail that I can quickly change the tuning on for some Zep stuff and other stuff I like to play like When the levee breaks and Kashmir for example. also I wouldnt mind picking up a 7 string and have kinda been keeping an eye out for a used one.

Ok I think I have rambled on long enough for now tongue.gif Man there is a wealth of info here and I have alot of work to do.Oh looks like there is a lesson in session in the vid chat too as I type so gonna jump and and see whats shakin'.

Peace! AK-Rich...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:27 PM