Tips To Playing Challenging Rhythms And Singing/backing Up
mhskeide
Feb 18 2019, 08:09 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
As the title implies, is there anyone with a good tip or advice on the subject? smile.gif
I used to be utterly crap at singing and playing at the same time, but just trying over and over helped me out a lot. My challenge now is if I`m not even able to sing for one second without losing the rhythm, even though the rhythm is really simple to play, I don`t know how to practice it blink.gif

For reference, the song I`m trying to play and support backing vocals to is Kool and the Gang - Celebration, while playing bass tongue.gif
...I also struggle a lot more when playing bass then guitar. As if I feel more of a responsibility for being tight. Does anyone feel the same?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 19 2019, 12:52 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Feb 18 2019, 07:09 PM) *

Is it similar to this or an easier version? cause that doesn't look easy to play while singing laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 19 2019, 08:22 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 19 2019, 12:52 AM) *

Is it similar to this or an easier version? cause that doesn't look easy to play while singing laugh.gif

It is the part starting at 1:06 (where you hear the backing vocals). I play bass guitar for this song, but the rhythm is the same

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 17 2019, 03:08 PM
Learning Roadie
One part has to be ingrained into your subconscious.
Another thing that helps is to attach certain strong beats to the syllables to help you anchor the rhythm. So slow it down and work out what your right hand is doing at each point of the word celebrate and get it down cold with repetition, slowly speeding it up to 100%

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:51 PM