Licks Or Exercises?
Braer
Nov 21 2009, 10:50 PM
GMC:er
Hey! I want to learn to mix speed pickin and legato like paul gilber, anny one know if i should pratice licks or exercises? so i get that fluid/smooth sound.
Annyone know a good lick or exercise?
Sry for bad english^^

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Braer: Nov 21 2009, 10:52 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sted
Nov 21 2009, 11:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
Some alternate picking xercises with a metronome will get your speed going mate, also prctice modal scales to get the muscle memory going, dont just do exercises though, playing simple bluesy licks will get your ear going for improvising!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Braer
Nov 21 2009, 11:42 PM
thanks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Braer
Nov 22 2009, 11:49 AM
btw, what do you mean by muscle memory?

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 22 2009, 11:52 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Braer @ Nov 22 2009, 11:49 AM) *

Hmmm, I was wondering too..... I hardly have any memory neither in my computer or brain, does my muscles took that ??? laugh.gif

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
sted
Nov 22 2009, 01:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Braer @ Nov 22 2009, 10:49 AM) *

By doing repetitive exercises your brain will recognize the fact that you are asking your muscles to do the same thing over and over, it will adapt to these exercises and the end result is faster reaction and an almost automatic response in the muscles to the signals from your brain, it actually has nothing to do with the muscles, its only a term used for reference, its how professional typists get so fast and why when you watch Muris play you are completely gobsmacked, it takes hours and hours of repetition.

As for you staffy I think your memory was thron out with your bathwater in 1977! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 22 2009, 01:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (sted @ Nov 22 2009, 01:02 PM) *
As for you staffy I think your memory was thron out with your bathwater in 1977! laugh.gif

That might as well be true, since the last good guitar-playing I remember was Eruption with EVH..... laugh.gif

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Braer
Nov 22 2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 23 2009, 05:52 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You should mix both licks and exercises. I would suggest first doing plain exercises (Alternate picking...) and then trying it immediately after practice - to apply it to some licks (and make it musical that way). Exercises will provide you with tools to execute what you want to play.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:56 PM